Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-09-2024, 09:52 PM   #1
FunnyRS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS, 42,000mi
Question Shaking at specific speeds and burning smell

Hello all,
My 2011 LT RS has lately been shaking a bit while I'm driving. It gets so strong the steering wheel also shakes in the 35-50mph and 65-80mph ranges. The specific speed that I feel the shaking the most changes within those ranges every day. Also, before I noticed the shaking, I noticed an occasional very strong burning smell that seems to come and go whenever it wants and I can't identify where it's coming from.

Sent to Firestone for wheel alignment, rotation, and balancing. Sent to another shop who said all they saw was cupped tires and a botched alignment job. Shaking and burning smell persists.

List of symptoms:
-Shaking, strongest at random speeds between 35-50mph and 65-80mph in all gears.
-Occasionally a very strong burning smell.
-Faint, brief squealing sound under hard acceleration between gears 1-3.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
FunnyRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 05:55 AM   #2
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Shaking can be drive shaft or CV axle.

Cupped tires ?
Can be tire frame failure,how old are tires ?
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 06:04 AM   #3
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Cupped tires will absolutely cause shaking, usually a sign of worn out struts or tires way out of balance. If your alignments is bad enough you can scrub the tires and smell burning rubber-should be obvious looking at the tire wear. Have you hit a curb or pothole recently. I would suspect bent or worn suspension-a shop should have refused to attempt to align the car without replacing the tires and finding the damaged part. I would deem the car unsafe to drive anywhere but to a repair shop until its fixed.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 06:57 PM   #4
FunnyRS

Not sure how old the tires are, got the car 6 months ago with them already on it and they're definitely not originals.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:03 PM   #5
FunnyRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
Cupped tires will absolutely cause shaking, usually a sign of worn out struts or tires way out of balance. If your alignments is bad enough you can scrub the tires and smell burning rubber-should be obvious looking at the tire wear. Have you hit a curb or pothole recently. I would suspect bent or worn suspension-a shop should have refused to attempt to align the car without replacing the tires and finding the damaged part. I would deem the car unsafe to drive anywhere but to a repair shop until its fixed.
I did nudge a snowbank recently, which was immediately before the shaking started. I had that in mind when I went for the alignment. Going back to Firestone on Monday to take advantage of the alignment warranty, and I will also ask them to check the suspension. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2024, 11:10 AM   #6
RACERJOE1

Drives: 2014 2SS
If you haven't already found the problem, I would have the brakes checked, the symptoms you describe sound exactly like stuck brake caliper/piston.
RACERJOE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 02:47 PM   #7
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACERJOE1 View Post
If you haven't already found the problem, I would have the brakes checked, the symptoms you describe sound exactly like stuck brake caliper/piston.
^^^^^
Went through this with another vehicle some years back. Look at the rotors and see if bluing is occurring.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:30 PM   #8
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Steering Wheel shaking indicates a imbalance condition in the drivetrain. Most likely Tire/Wheel Imbalance (lost a wheel weight?), warped Rotors, or alignment way out of spec.
Key input is you 'nudged a snowbank". So you nudged your suspension, T/W, or Alignment enough to start the vibration .
hesster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 09:09 PM   #9
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Could have ice in the barrel of the wheel.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burning, shaking, smell, vibration