Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
Austin_504

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 2.0t
What's a good first mod for a beginner?

I have a 2016 Camaro 1Lt RS with the 2.0t engine. It's my first time doing anything with my performance wise to my car so I have no knowledge of the quality of certain vendors and so on. It seems that a cold air intake is usually the first mod someone does to their car so any recommendations? Thanks!!
Austin_504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
Injen open intake, zzp catless, muffler delete, and tune
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #3
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
^ what Gino said. For Quality stuff, Phastek is probably the leader. Basically do your research before you buy anything. There is TONS of info on this 4-cylinder thread. I went with the CAI as well for my first performance mod. Couple other companies that you can look at are Mishimoto and ZZPerformance. Phastek usually has most of Mishimoto's stuff but ZZP keeps to themselves. They (ZZP) actually have the fastest 2.0 turbo "officially" as of yesterday. I cannot stress doing your research enough before you buy. Ask people on here. A lot of these guys can steer you right from wrong. The 2.0 guys (except for EvilBee-NH, jk love you Kev ) are awesome people and will help you with whatever you need. Dont go with cheap just because you want it. Spend the extra money and time getting things YOU want, because at the end of the day, it is your car, we're here to tell you to not put 24" DUB wheels on it.

Good luck!

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
Austin_504

I don't know if this is true but I read somewhere on here it's better to mod then tune so that they can take that into account when doing the tune. Is this true? Also thanks for all the replies and support!!!
Old 10-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
My vote for first mod would be a tune. Be sure to get one that supports future modifications at little to no cost.
If you can afford it, go tune+ down pipe.
Welcome aboard, these cars are taking off like crazy!
Not that I am an aficionado but a tune first seems like a waste. You should get the performance mods you want that do not require a tune (i.e. CAI, DP (catted, catless requires a tune) you run the risk of over spooling the turbo with the catless w/o a proper tune) and exhaust, and then tune the car. This way, you can get a tune that supports what you have already done, not getting one and hoping it will work with your future mods.

I also highly recommend getting a catch can system ASAP.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #6
Austin_504

So you guys recommend the Ingen CAI because that one and the zzp CAI I see a lot of people have.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Do your bolt-ons first intake, downpipe TB and Charge pipe then get your tune none of these throw a cel so your car is still safe to drive after a little while or whenever you want get a tune if your A8 your a 2016 so lucky you.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
Austin_504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Do your bolt-ons first intake, downpipe TB and Charge pipe then get your tune none of these throw a cel so your car is still safe to drive after a little while or whenever you want get a tune if your A8 your a 2016 so lucky you.
I do have an A8 2016 why is that lucky?
Old 10-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #9
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_504 View Post
I do have an A8 2016 why is that lucky?
2017's require additional time and money to tune. PCM and TCM both need to be unlocked. 2016's are unlocked.

Definitely start with a CAI. I highly recommend the Injen EVO7300. It's the best design on the market, made out of the best material, and reasonably priced.

I would highly advise against a tune if you want to keep your warranty in tact. Every tune out there, except DiabloSport, will immediately void your powertrain warranty.

How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go? Basic bolt on's are fun, but bigger turbos and built engines are much more funner!
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #10
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
Except DiabloSport doesn't have anything for us yet... I bought their InTune for my 05 GXP and it was great!
However, it's useless on the Camaro for anything but clearing the occasional CEL.
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #11
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedonBlackRS View Post
Except DiabloSport doesn't have anything for us yet... I bought their InTune for my 05 GXP and it was great!
However, it's useless on the Camaro for anything but clearing the occasional CEL.
Really? I find that surprising since they've supported the LTG in the ATS since day one basically. Have you tried contacting them? You have a 2016, right?
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #12
Mjollnir

Drives: 2017 1LS White
Quote:
I have a 2016 Camaro 1Lt RS with the 2.0t engine. It's my first time doing anything with my performance wise to my car so I have no knowledge of the quality of certain vendors and so on. It seems that a cold air intake is usually the first mod someone does to their car so any recommendations? Thanks!!
Welcome Austin_504

You stated beginner, so will you be doing installation work yourself? if so,yes,
start with the airbox to get your confidence up. From there the catless
downpipe provided the biggest bang for the buck engine wise IMO.
Also, how's you budget looking? Tuning will be require get the most out of these 2 mods.
Remember the moment you upload the tune file you'll have voided your warranty, something to consider when modding your motor.

FWIW,
I had swaybars installed front and rear along with a muffler delete as my first mod. I like driving the canyons here in Santa Monica, so my suspension was
first. This is a great site with a lot of knowledgeable people.
Congrats on your purchase.

-BN
Attached Images

Mjollnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #13
Mjollnir

Drives: 2017 1LS White
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
I dis-agree with "safe".
You will be driving around with crap AFR's just like Mjollnir in this post.
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508788
Just to be clear my AFR is better now since uploading the tune a couple weeks ago. Though I completely agree, these mods and tune need to be done at the same time.
Mjollnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:54 PM   #14
Beast-Y-Blue

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro turbo
Quote:
I don't know if this is true but I read somewhere on here it's better to mod then tune so that they can take that into account when doing the tune. Is this true? Also thanks for all the replies and support!!!
i did intake first, 2nd muffler delete , 3rd catless dp, 4th magnaflow axle back(cause the catless DP and muffler delete together is too loud and sound ricer) (electric exhaust cutout is better than muffler delete cause you can be as loud as a truck at the track then at the push of a button back to quiet stock sound.)
5th larger TB kit then tune.
Stock hp to the wheel is about 227-231 wheel hp ... all the bolt on untune is about 267 hp to the wheels.
Tuned 285 to 310 hp to the wheels

Tune makes the biggest difference but i suggest to get the bolt ons first and then tune at ones...
Beast-Y-Blue is offline   Reply With Quote