Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-19-2017, 12:35 AM   #1
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
caster how would one change it

On the SS the Caster is 7.4deg on the 1LE it is 6.9deg. I did the 1le track suspension. everything that comes with the kit including the front radius arms. The 1le kit included upper bearings for the MRC shocks. My alignment shown 7.4 and 7.3. are the shock towers different?
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...tion-guide.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: pdf alingment.pdf (549.2 KB, 110 views)
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:05 AM   #2
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
No difference in the shock towers, that's pretty much what my 1LE was at after the track alignment as well. Only way to change caster is to go with aftermarket parts, such as an adjustable strut top mount. All adjusting caster will do is create less aligning torque (meaning the steering will feel a little lighter) and your camber gain during suspension articulation will be slightly different. You'd also loose some ride comfort going over rough road because the aftermarket top mounts won't have the rubber to isolate those impacts.

IMO, leaving caster as it is would probably be OK unless you're planning to track the car competitively and are an experienced driver. Mine is still plenty capable on the street and track with the factory caster, and it doesn't give any undesirable steering performance or tire wear that I've been able to pick up on.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
I have mine setup with 7.9° caster with the Moreno plates. The roughly half degree over my stock track alignment is slightly noticeable with stronger aligning torque (more snap to center) and a minor loss of steering feel. The benefit is increased dynamic camber while turning, which is something only needed on the track.

If your car is street-only, there's no need to fuss with the caster unless you're looking for very specific behavior.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
im wondering why after i put all the 1le parts in that my caster that is unadjustable still the same 7.4 when the 1le is 6.9.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
im wondering why after i put all the 1le parts in that my caster that is unadjustable still the same 7.4 when the 1le is 6.9.
It's not. My 1LE started off with low 7's. The GM specs are there just to sanity check the hard parts are within a ballpark.

Like I said, if you're not tracking the car, this really isn't even a topic to worry about.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
It's not. My 1LE started off with low 7's. The GM specs are there just to sanity check the hard parts are within a ballpark.

Like I said, if you're not tracking the car, this really isn't even a topic to worry about.
+1, I wouldn't worry about it either. My 1LE came from the factory with around 7.4 and is still at 7.4 after the track alignment, still does fine on the track and street.