Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #1
Northeast16SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
SS Brake Pad Replacement Options

I have a couple questions before I replace my brake pads. I have a 2014 SS with Brembos. The fronts do have the harmonic balancers on the pads. I would like to replace them with a pad that does not have them so I can use a spare. I'm sure that there are many aftermarket brands that can be purchased but I have been happy with the braking on the car.

Does GM make a replacement pad of the same quality as the ones I have without the balancers?

What is the composition of my current pads? I'm assuming given the amount of dust and stopping power that they are a semi-metallic pad?

What aftermarket pads are people using that are similar in composition to the OEM balanced pads with similar or better results? And by that I mean stopping power, dust, no squealing?

Thanks!

Northeast16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
1). You can search this sub forum.
2). Yes, there are good replacement pads without the roller skates.
3). You can cut the roller skates off. It has been done lots of times. (See #1)
Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #3
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast16SS View Post
I have a couple questions before I replace my brake pads. I have a 2014 SS with Brembos. The fronts do have the harmonic balancers on the pads. I would like to replace them with a pad that does not have them so I can use a spare. I'm sure that there are many aftermarket brands that can be purchased but I have been happy with the braking on the car.

Does GM make a replacement pad of the same quality as the ones I have without the balancers?

What is the composition of my current pads? I'm assuming given the amount of dust and stopping power that they are a semi-metallic pad?

What aftermarket pads are people using that are similar in composition to the OEM balanced pads with similar or better results? And by that I mean stopping power, dust, no squealing?

Thanks!

I have the AC Delco replacement pads on the front so i can run 17" Weld wheels. About $50. They will squeal a bit but you get used to it. Otherwise, same as factory in performance.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:

Thanks!

Brakes work by friction. The byproducts of brake friction are heat and dust. The better the brake pad, the dirtier and noisy they are. Racing brakes make the squeal of a screaming squealing pig sound like music and they make dust faster than Pig Pen in Peanuts.

There is no such thing as a pad that stops as well and yet by some magic makes less dust. I wish there were. 99.999% of the time most people will never ever need the ALL the power of the excellent pads supplied by Chevy for the 5th and 6th Gen Camaros. They are, IMO the best combination street drive / light track pads available. Stepping down for less dust may never hurt you. However, should you ever be distracted while driving and need to stop before rear ending the car in front of you those few inches may be the difference between and accident and a close call. God forbid a child dart out between cars on a residential street when inches become life and death.

Not being critical, trying to be informative, accurate among a sea of marketing and web based mis-information.

Shop on line for the lowest price OEM pads, cut the roller skates off and learn to love the dust good brake pads make.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Pete I got a set of Brembo pads for a non ceramic Z06 C7 Vette, i read somewhere the pads are shapped differnt but they seem to work good on my set up: CTS-V rotors, ZL1 CTS-V 6 piston with the vented pistons, and stainless lines. The pads had 30 miles on them and I got the whole set front and back shipped for 65 bucks.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:30 PM   #6
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Pete I got a set of Brembo pads for a non ceramic Z06 C7 Vette, i read somewhere the pads are shapped differnt but they seem to work good on my set up: CTS-V rotors, ZL1 CTS-V 6 piston with the vented pistons, and stainless lines. The pads had 30 miles on them and I got the whole set front and back shipped for 65 bucks.
A steal!!!
Old 09-15-2017, 05:37 PM   #7
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
A Steal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
A steal!!!
Owner went to a lower dust pad and thanks.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #8
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Owner went to a lower dust pad and thanks.
Tell them to
Old 09-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #9
Northeast16SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Brakes work by friction. The byproducts of brake friction are heat and dust. The better the brake pad, the dirtier and noisy they are. Racing brakes make the squeal of a screaming squealing pig sound like music and they make dust faster than Pig Pen in Peanuts.

There is no such thing as a pad that stops as well and yet by some magic makes less dust. I wish there were. 99.999% of the time most people will never ever need the ALL the power of the excellent pads supplied by Chevy for the 5th and 6th Gen Camaros. They are, IMO the best combination street drive / light track pads available. Stepping down for less dust may never hurt you. However, should you ever be distracted while driving and need to stop before rear ending the car in front of you those few inches may be the difference between and accident and a close call. God forbid a child dart out between cars on a residential street when inches become life and death.

Not being critical, trying to be informative, accurate among a sea of marketing and web based mis-information.

Shop on line for the lowest price OEM pads, cut the roller skates off and learn to love the dust good brake pads make.
I understand all this which is why I'm looking to match the composition of my OEM pads. I just don't want the harmonic balancers on them so I can have a spare that will fit over the wheel assembly. I don't have a problem with the dust either. My wheels are black. I don't really want to spend $200 for pads and take a grinding wheel to them either.
Northeast16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #10
JusticePete

Quote:
I understand all this which is why I'm looking to match the composition of my OEM pads. I just don't want the harmonic balancers on them so I can have a spare that will fit over the wheel assembly. I don't have a problem with the dust either. My wheels are black. I don't really want to spend $200 for pads and take a grinding wheel to them either.
I got this. Cut them off and never look back!