Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
Ghost52

Drives: SW 2SS/RS L99
Next Mod? Brakes; Sway; or Coilovers??

Looking for opinions on my next Mod and trying to decide between Brake upgrade or Suspension upgrade. I currently have the stock 2010 SS set up for both. I have upgraded the Rear Sub-frame bushings when we changed the Rear Gears to 3.45's. I plan to occasionally hit the 1/8th mile track and do have a little interest in AutoCross, but it really seems all I have time to do is some back winding road driving. Thank you in advance for your opinions...
Ghost52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Suspension work will change your ride drastically in the twisties!

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Suspension! If all you've done are the subframe bushings, I'd do sway bars next - a new-style rear bar makes a huge difference from stock - not sure how it will change the ride now with the subframe bushings but I'd think it would still be quite noticeable. Also maybe replace those front radius rod bushing inserts with some bigger/harder ones such as the ones from JPSS; these will give you more a responsive steering feeling.

If you want to drag race, 1LE toe links - and Z28 trailing arms to a lesser extent - are a nice upgrade for keeping those wheels planted, as well as Z28 rear upper control arm bushings. From here you could do springs/shocks or coil-overs, and then camber/caster plates (and drilling out the front subframe for adjustable caster) for even better wheel-centering and straight-line stability.

And alignment! Make sure to get yourself an accurate alignment after doing whatever suspension work you decide to do.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
Ghost52

Thank you KP and SSE for the input I am leaning more toward suspension and sways are top of the list for changing. I will start going through threads looking at Sway options.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
As mentioned in my sig, I have JPSS sway bars and highly recommend them; they are 27mm solid 3-way adjustable front, 32mm solid rear.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Go to the JPSS web page and read The Holy Book of Suspension.
You will learn a lot. And, Pete is pretty accessable.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:32 PM   #7
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
BRAKES!!!!!

Being able to stop is the most important thing for any car regardless of what type of racing you plan on. Making the car safer should always be the first mod.

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #8
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The single biggest bang for the bucks upgrade you can make on a 2010- 2012 5th Gen Camaro is replacing the old style inboard mount sway bar. That requires replacing the lower control arms and new droplinks. The swap is an easy bolt, align and go. The results are stunning, as already mentioned.

You have two choices. You can use a ZL1 / 1LE 28mm rear bar or use my 32mm solid JPSS bar, the strongest available. The result will be a far more nuetral car that doesn't push and is far easier to drive, far more fun to drive.

Next on the list are JPSS Billet Radius Bushing Inserts. All models of the 5th Gen deliver from th factory with soft rubber radius are snubbers except the Z/28. The Z use cast hard nylon snubbers to control dynamic toe and caster change. You could install Z/28 radius arms, but then you wouldn't have the larger tighter fitting aluminum JPSS inserts. Theyn are easy to install wth the arm still in the car. Once installed, you'll feel like a new steering rrack has been installed.

You can find both of these parts in the JPSS online store in the link below. If you have questions feel free to ask here or conact me via private message.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #9
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Pete, hows the setup handle with a stock SS front bar and a 32mm rear bar? Is that too much of a difference between the two?

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #10
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
Pete, hows the setup handle with a stock SS front bar and a 32mm rear bar? Is that too much of a difference between the two?
Initially I would have said yes, but after all these years with the platform, if the rear mounting area for the sway bar were stronger I would stuff an even bigger rear bar in there.

OEM front and JPSS rear = PERMAGRIN!

Bars are in stock as are most JPSS parts. We can ship today and shipping is almost 100% back to normal after Irma.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #11
Ghost52

Thanks Pete - headed to JPSS site now to look around.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:12 PM   #12
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost52 View Post
Thanks Pete - headed to JPSS site now to look around.
You won't be disappointed.