Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #15
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
differences in temp and humidity can have a huge impact on your reading and also different dyno's (if that is the case). the only real way to see your gain is a comparison on the same dyno and pull prior to installation of mods.

don't get to wrapped around the axle on the max HP gained. i'd like to see the comparison graphs between your previous pull and this one and see how your TQ was affected. i'd take 20-25TQ across the low-mid RPM range than 20 HP up top...but thats just me. and remember, dyno numbers are ONLY a reference tool.

there are a lot of good responses on here so hopefully you reply soon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
SSexy Camaro
Patiently Waiting

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
YES, i had it dyno'ed at the same shop. It was a 90 degree day with maybe 25% humidity, with the dyno machine in the dead heat. I dont really notice a HUGE difference in power. Actually, maybe even a bit of a loss in low RPM HP!!! Slightly feel some more power around 5k rpm. I guess I should just wait for the fall to see any more differences. OH, by the way, I had the headers installed to Pypes exhaust. Dont think that would effect HP at all, right? It's basically a straight pipe with larger diameter.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #17
EliteCZM523

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
I see you're in NY...who did the tune?

Don't worry so much about numbers...does it run good and feel faster?

+1
EliteCZM523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
SSexy Camaro
Patiently Waiting

what are some other inexpensive things that would push it to maybe 385rwhp without a tune?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #19
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
who did the tune and did they re-tune it after the headers were installed? do you have hi-flow cats on there?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #20
SGOS252382

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSexy Camaro View Post
YES, i had it dyno'ed at the same shop. It was a 90 degree day with maybe 25% humidity, with the dyno machine in the dead heat. I dont really notice a HUGE difference in power. Actually, maybe even a bit of a loss in low RPM HP!!! Slightly feel some more power around 5k rpm. I guess I should just wait for the fall to see any more differences. OH, by the way, I had the headers installed to Pypes exhaust. Dont think that would effect HP at all, right? It's basically a straight pipe with larger diameter.
SAE, STD, or uncorrected numbers.

You shouldn't see major differences in RWHP unless the numbers are uncorrected.
SAE corrects the numbers to temps in the 70s.
STD correctes the numbers to temp in the 60s.

But uncorrected numbers go off the weather conditions at your location. So there would be a large difference between winter conditions and summer condtions.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #21
THE1chopper

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
differences in temp and humidity can have a huge impact on your reading and also different dyno's (if that is the case). the only real way to see your gain is a comparison on the same dyno and pull prior to installation of mods.

don't get to wrapped around the axle on the max HP gained. i'd like to see the comparison graphs between your previous pull and this one and see how your TQ was affected. i'd take 20-25TQ across the low-mid RPM range than 20 HP up top...but thats just me. and remember, dyno numbers are ONLY a reference tool.

there are a lot of good responses on here so hopefully you reply soon...

DYNO in the winter during HIGH pressure!
THE1chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #22
SSexy Camaro
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
who did the tune and did they re-tune it after the headers were installed? do you have hi-flow cats on there?
I'd rather not give up the name of the shop. Yes they retuned it after the headers were installed. Yes I got it with High flow cats. The shop does great work located in NJ. I was just diappointed with the HP numbers, although you people say I shouldnt be. Just from 358 to 368 isnt exactly what I expected after reading all the research on headers hp gains.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #23
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSexy Camaro View Post
I'd rather not give up the name of the shop. Yes they retuned it after the headers were installed. Yes I got it with High flow cats. The shop does great work located in NJ. I was just diappointed with the HP numbers, although you people say I shouldnt be. Just from 358 to 368 isnt exactly what I expected after reading all the research on headers hp gains.
You could go find a happy dyno as many in this forum have found and you will see 380+ rwhp, or if you want to know if the headers and tune are really working take your car to the strip and look at the trap speed
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #24
Quick

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th
I have the same mods as you and my car dyno'ed at 370 hp and 380 torque on the second pull.The third pull it went 368 hp and 385 torque. I was more than glad to trade 2 hp for 5 ft pds of torque.But like most of the post above,you could appreciate the 368(average) final reading more if that 358 (higher than average reading) was a more realistic 348.

Something wicked this way cometh...
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #25
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
keep in mind also that cars that are still stock are very rich. when you put on an intake or headers and reset the fuel trims (disconnect battery) and put it right on the dyno the mods will lean it out, hopefully not too much, and it will make a lot more power due to the AF ratio and airflow increase combined.

if you start with an already tuned car that is already leaner (12.5 vs 10.5 or 11) then simply bolting on an intake or the like (and likely richening up the mixture with the tune) will not gain nearly as much because you are starting with a more ideal mixture already.

if you install the headers on a stock tune and drive it around, the LTFT (long term fuel trims) will compensate for the additional airflow by adding fuel (based on the quicker responding STFTs) as needed all up and down the airflow tables at part throttle. when you go WOT the positive (fuel adding) trims carry over into the WOT section (WOT doesn't "learn" because it is open loop which is why the stock rich mixture can get lean with an intake or headers; trims only work in closed loop, like part throttle) and richen up WOT as well so it remains relatively safe.

However, this is not ideal at all because as weather or altitude changes, your car may get beyond its "learnability" and not be able to compensate anymore. This is why you get a tune. You adjust the airflow maps down to 0% fuel trims (actually -3% is ideal) so it has all the room it had when the car was stock to adjust if necessary. Then your car can run like it came with the mods from the factory.

Of course there are a whole slew of other things you have to adjust in the tune, but that is a very basic description of how the trims work at least.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #26
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
class is in session...nice post
Old 07-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #27
SSexy Camaro
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
keep in mind also that cars that are still stock are very rich. when you put on an intake or headers and reset the fuel trims (disconnect battery) and put it right on the dyno the mods will lean it out, hopefully not too much, and it will make a lot more power due to the AF ratio and airflow increase combined.

if you start with an already tuned car that is already leaner (12.5 vs 10.5 or 11) then simply bolting on an intake or the like (and likely richening up the mixture with the tune) will not gain nearly as much because you are starting with a more ideal mixture already.

if you install the headers on a stock tune and drive it around, the LTFT (long term fuel trims) will compensate for the additional airflow by adding fuel (based on the quicker responding STFTs) as needed all up and down the airflow tables at part throttle. when you go WOT the positive (fuel adding) trims carry over into the WOT section (WOT doesn't "learn" because it is open loop which is why the stock rich mixture can get lean with an intake or headers; trims only work in closed loop, like part throttle) and richen up WOT as well so it remains relatively safe.

However, this is not ideal at all because as weather or altitude changes, your car may get beyond its "learnability" and not be able to compensate anymore. This is why you get a tune. You adjust the airflow maps down to 0% fuel trims (actually -3% is ideal) so it has all the room it had when the car was stock to adjust if necessary. Then your car can run like it came with the mods from the factory.

Of course there are a whole slew of other things you have to adjust in the tune, but that is a very basic description of how the trims work at least.

___ good to know... and that makes perfect sense.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #28
SSexy Camaro
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
class is in session...nice post
agreed.