Damn it.. I don't know anyone!!
You know me lol
Old 08-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #10124
FireCracker
Banned

Drives: a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
Exactly why I'm doing my internship. It's giving me a lot of experience in my field and is getting me connected with people
Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
You know me lol
Yup.
FireCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #10125
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Guys don't feel like that. You need to keep on applying. Sometimes it is who you know but not always. You just need to find the job that will you a chance.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #10126
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

The last two jobs I got I didn't know a single person working in those companies. Camaro Dream is correct you do need to network, but don't let that discourage you.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #10127
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

I quit my first HR job in PA to move to Maryland. Took me 8 months to get a job. second time around I heard Jason got the job in SC. I applied to a few jobs, got an interview in a week, and got hired a few days later. It can happen guys just stay positive.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #10128
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
It took me a long time to land my first big boy job. I developed a very thick skin through the process and also became more cynical.

I was in a rough spot of not having enough (any) experience for the jobs for which I was qualified and being way over qualified for entry level positions (four degrees). Employers actually really look down on self employed people. They want Indians, not chiefs. It actually took me knowing somebody to get my foot in the door. Having the CEO and CFO both vouch for you never hurts.

That being said, to anybody out there in the job hunt, the best advice I can offer is to just hang in there. For every ten résumés you send out, maybe one ever gets read by a human being. And for every ten of those, maybe one calls you. It's a numbers game, but if you have the skills to back up your résumé, eventually something will happen for you.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #10129
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
It took me a long time to land my first big boy job. I developed a very thick skin through the process and also became more cynical.

I was in a rough spot of not having enough (any) experience for the jobs for which I was qualified and being way over qualified for entry level positions (four degrees). Employers actually really look down on self employed people. They want Indians, not chiefs. It actually took me knowing somebody to get my foot in the door. Having the CEO and CFO both vouch for you never hurts.

That being said, to anybody out there in the job hunt, the best advice I can offer is to just hang in there. For every ten résumés you send out, maybe one ever gets read by a human being. And for every ten of those, maybe one calls you. It's a numbers game, but if you have the skills to back up your résumé, eventually something will happen for you.

Great advice. I agree it was very depression time in my life. Thought I would never get a job. Still have been working crappy underpaid jobs that are boring. Waiting for my break in the world.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #10130
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:

Very solid advice. I originally got my internship because of my dad. He works in the building said I was an IT major and they asked him to have me come in. I had a little interview with some of the team members and my boss and now 6 months later they are attempting to higher me. Originally it was never supposed to be a job after the internship but when they saw how hard I worked and with all the people around the building speaking highly of me my boss decided to attempt to create a position for me. It's still not in stone but I should know in a few weeks if it gets through
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #10131
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Very solid advice. I originally got my internship because of my dad. He works in the building said I was an IT major and they asked him to have me come in. I had a little interview with some of the team members and my boss and now 6 months later they are attempting to higher me. Originally it was never supposed to be a job after the internship but when they saw how hard I worked and with all the people around the building speaking highly of me my boss decided to attempt to create a position for me. It's still not in stone but I should know in a few weeks if it gets through
Good luck.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #10132
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Good luck.
Thanks. Really hoping it works out because it will give me mod money and most importantly will let me save money for my masters so I have no student loans at all.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #10133
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Thanks. Really hoping it works out because it will give me mod money and most importantly will let me save money for my masters so I have no student loans at all.
Play your cards right and they'll pay for it.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #10134
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Play your cards right and they'll pay for it.
Yea I am considering a few options. I know in Tallahassee it will be difficult to find an employer that will compensate for my masters so if I am offered a Job else where that will give me that benefit I will use that money to establish myself in a place wherever I end up. But if I get a full time position after I graduate in Tallahassee I will use that money to pay for my masters and stay about another 2 years after I complete it and attempt to find a managing position else where.

Really what I am aiming for is a masters in management information systems which will be my minor for my undergrad to land me the managing position of a operations team.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #10135
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Welp, I've had the LS for three months and it's so far the best car I've ever owned. Including the 4 Fbodies I've had.

That is all.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #10136
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
Welp, I've had the LS for three months and it's so far the best car I've ever owned. Including the 4 Fbodies I've had.

That is all.
awesome! great to hear!