Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
CSM088

Drives: 1981 Z28 // 2010 1SS LS3
M6 Rear Seal Leak, 2nd gear grind

Hey guys, I was doing an oil change the other day and noticed some transmission fluid all over the support brace for the rear of the transmission and it was slowly dripping on to the garage floor. I took a closer look and it appears to be coming out of the rear seal.

Is this covered under the powertrain warranty? And is it worth having looked at now when the leak is so slow? Could it be due to the cold weather?

Also, can someone give me the Cole's Notes on the 2nd gear grind? My car does it all the time, especially when its cold. Is this worth pursuing a fix on, and is it a concern? Even if I'm gentle with it, it will still grind just about every day and I hope I'm not compromising the transmission's longevity.

I'm driving a 2010 SS LS3.
CSM088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Transmission fluid won't be leaking from the rear seal. If your clutch appears to be engagning and disengaging correctly, the leak is going to be oil, not trans fluid. The leak is coming from the rear seal or rear cover/oil pan junction. There have been quite a few people that got the leak fixed under warranty.

If you car is under warranty and you haven't gotten crazy modding, take it back to the dealer for the leak. I have a modded car and the local dealer always tells me to bring it in and they will look at at it and let me know whether it will be warrantied or not. Of course, my issues have not been power train related though.

A search of this site will let you know there are many people complaining on about the second gear grind.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote