Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-02-2020, 07:28 PM   #85
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Sales based allocation is common for all "performance" cars, even your standard I4 Camaro/Mustang is allocated based on sales.
However, it doesn’t effect price when demand is meet. When is the last time you had to pay over list for a i4 Camaro, SS or even a ZL1? Now go find a GT350R or GT500 new for under list and get back to me... most are $10,000 or more over.

That was my point, Ford has very very strict allocations on the Shelby models so window sticker price does relate to actual sale price of those models were as I could buy a ZL1 at or below dealer invoice.

That was my point.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 04-03-2020 at 05:47 AM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:11 PM   #86
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
The general public also has no clue about the superiority of the alpha chassis so gm needs to let their rigid options/pricing go.

I still don't know why a $37K 1SS doesn't have blind spot monitoring or leather standard. You know, what a comparably priced family sedan would have, let alone sports car.

Edit: As I have mentioned in another thread, LT4 vs. LT5 crate engine difference is $3k. While not a total apples to apples comparison for production's sake, it goes to show that
a LT5 ZL1 doesn't need to be anywhere near $100k, let alone $80k. Imagine the buzz it would create for the Camaro . . . The fact that GM put it in the low volume C7 ZR1 and nothing else tells me
that they have probably already recouped its costs and that there is margin enough for utilizaition in the Camaro.

You confuse what you think something should cost with what it will cost.

I’m sour a ton of people can tell you why an iPhone 11 should only cost $500 too.

GM has told us how much they believe the LT5 is worth to them. It really doesn’t matter what you or I think.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:15 PM   #87
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
It has been said countless times, and it is the truth, and primary reason: No commercials/adds!!! That is the main issue. The other American sports/muscle cars have most of the same issues as the Camaro, the difference is the Camaro gets no advertising! 🤷🏻
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:26 PM   #88
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCamaro444 View Post
It has been said countless times, and it is the truth, and primary reason: No commercials/adds!!! That is the main issue. The other American sports/muscle cars have most of the same issues as the Camaro, the difference is the Camaro gets no advertising! 🤷🏻
I can't remember the last time I saw a Mustang ad.

Do you think people forgot the Camaro existed and went straight to the Ford dealer or Dodge dealer, but had they seen a Camaro on TV (Wait, who watches TV, doesn't everyone stream??) they would have swung by the dealership and bought the Camaro instead?

There are a lot of reasons the Camaro isn't selling and ads won't fix it. It's a great car but you have to make a lot of compromises to own it and the styling is polarizing. Mustang and Challenger have far less polarizing style in a more livable package.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #89
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
You confuse what you think something should cost with what it will cost.

I’m sour a ton of people can tell you why an iPhone 11 should only cost $500 too.

GM has told us how much they believe the LT5 is worth to them. It really doesn’t matter what you or I think.
There is no confusion. GM will sell you an LT5 for $3k more than an LT4.
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:29 AM   #90
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post

Do you think people forgot the Camaro existed and went straight to the Ford dealer or Dodge dealer, but had they seen a Camaro on TV (Wait, who watches TV, doesn't everyone stream??) they would have swung by the dealership and bought the Camaro instead?

There are a lot of reasons the Camaro isn't selling and ads won't fix it. It's a great car but you have to make a lot of compromises to own it and the styling is polarizing. Mustang and Challenger have far less polarizing style in a more livable package.

I disagree...but, I’m not losing any sleep over it. Everyone has their THEORIES on why the numbers are down. I’ll stick with what I see. I see ads for the Mustang and Challenger, but don’t see ANY for the Camaro. We don’t need ads to draw us to the car, because we’re enthusiasts, but new buyers may. Again though, to each their own theory. 😎
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:29 AM   #91
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
There is one big thing that people always forget to look at, when they talk about advertisement. Advertisement is not cheap!

And I don't talk TV ads, I mean place your car in movies, do big press events (incl. flying in the press and pay their hotel and catering), hand out press cars to all the big magazines and youtubers, pay a videoteam to create all the great footage of your car, etc.

Let's just do some really basic math. Let's assume the average profit of a Mustang and Camaro is $1k.

If Ford is spending $10M more on advertising the Mustang they Chevy spend for the Camaro, then Ford has to sell 10,000 more Mustangs just the get back the cost of the advertisements.

Of course this is just a fake calculatin based on assumed numbers. But advertisement is quite expensive. So with Chevy running low on marketing, maybe the profit is not as bad as comparing overall sales numbers make it look like.

7k sold cars in nevertheless a bad numbers, but Lethals video about the GM strike made a lot of sense
Old 04-03-2020, 05:44 AM   #92
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
There is one big thing that people always forget to look at, when they talk about advertisement. Advertisement is not cheap!

And I don't talk TV ads, I mean place your car in movies, do big press events (incl. flying in the press and pay their hotel and catering), hand out press cars to all the big magazines and youtubers, pay a videoteam to create all the great footage of your car, etc.

Let's just do some really basic math. Let's assume the average profit of a Mustang and Camaro is $1k.

If Ford is spending $10M more on advertising the Mustang they Chevy spend for the Camaro, then Ford has to sell 10,000 more Mustangs just the get back the cost of the advertisements.

Of course this is just a fake calculatin based on assumed numbers. But advertisement is quite expensive. So with Chevy running low on marketing, maybe the profit is not as bad as comparing overall sales numbers make it look like.

7k sold cars in nevertheless a bad numbers, but Lethals video about the GM strike made a lot of sense
But the promotion of the Camaro/Mustang back in the "old days" wasn't just about those two cars specifically. They generated interest for people to go to their Chevy and Ford dealers to buy other cars. People with no intention of buying a car might go just because they want to see the Camaro, then inevitably drive out with another car more fitting their lifestyle. They presented the image of Chevy and Ford as youthful, exciting, energetic, and just simply cool!

Today all we have is "real people" gushing about the Apple Car Play in a Traverse. Oy vay.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:57 AM   #93
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
- The slammed roof’s bunker sensation is a hard sell to non-enthusiasts.

- Buyer demographic has changed. All non-SUV/CUV sales are down.

- The Camaro is no longer inexpensive.

- The gen6 is going into its 6th model year with no significant power or styling change. (The 2020 redo made it look like previous 16-18)

-Chevy does nothing to build the brand.
  1. No advertising.
  2. No new performance variants since 2018. Sorry ..A10 in a 1LE doesn’t count.
  3. No new attention grabbing trims since 2018 HW. Sorry ...shock and steel went unnoticed. See #1.

It’s clear to me that is Chevy riding this model out until they make the next move. Poor CT4 and CT5 sales don’t point to a future as it is, has, been. I doubt I’ll care about what they will end up doing.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:09 AM   #94

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Camaro blew it when they got away from Retro. It's what made the 5thGen number one in sales.

Instead of sticking with it, (like Challenger has and look where they are now), GM did all it could to get away from anything retro as if they were too sophisticated for it. The "platform" and performance improved in the Camaro, but it didn't result in sales popularity. For all the 6th Gen years they have avoided retro styling like the plague and are paying the price for it. Dodge Challenger and Mustang basically kept their styling, but Chevy and GM blinded themselves to what made Camaro the most popular in the first place....Retro-vibe styling.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:13 AM   #95
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
I first thought 7000 a month is great lol.. Not so much for 3 months. My care level is dropping about how GM handles the Camaro. There just isn't enough change or new.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:27 AM   #96
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
I first thought 7000 a month is great lol.. Not so much for 3 months. My care level is dropping about how GM handles the Camaro. There just isn't enough change or new.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:24 AM   #97
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
And to think the Camaro was reborn in the thick of GM's financial meltdown, and got the green light by the CEO largely blamed for GM's bankruptcy (Rick Wagoneer).

Go figure.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #98
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post

I can remember the last time I seen a Dodge ad though….

And their sales are surging...
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote