Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-25-2023, 02:11 PM   #15
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arogg View Post
Yeah, I'm kind of waiting until I can find an affordable rear GM GFX piece. I don't like any of the others. unfortunately my little love tap got the bumper and the GFX diffuser. Its been about 3 years since it happened.
Well dang brother. Those GM GFX diFfusers are kinda hard to find, hope you do find one and are able to get it fixed. Good luck sir!!
Old 10-25-2023, 03:32 PM   #16
GrandAmGT

Drives: 2010 1LT & 2016 Cadillac CTS V6
I damaged my Camaro twice in the exact same spot while driving in my job's parking garage. The first time I was coming in to the garage too fast and I rubbed the driver's side rear quarter panel into a concrete barrier; that put a dent, a huge scrape, and some yellow paint into the quarter panel. I got that repaired, but about 2 years later, I was backing into a parking space in the same garage and damaged the same spot in almost the exact same manner. I was a little embarrassed to take it back to the same body shop that made the first repair but, luckily, the repairman didn't remember me.
GrandAmGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 03:41 PM   #17
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandAmGT View Post
I damaged my Camaro twice in the exact same spot while driving in my job's parking garage. The first time I was coming in to the garage too fast and I rubbed the driver's side rear quarter panel into a concrete barrier; that put a dent, a huge scrape, and some yellow paint into the quarter panel. I got that repaired, but about 2 years later, I was backing into a parking space in the same garage and damaged the same spot in almost the exact same manner. I was a little embarrassed to take it back to the same body shop that made the first repair but, luckily, the repairman didn't remember me.
Oh my!! Now THAT'S adding insult to injury!!
Old 10-25-2023, 04:03 PM   #18
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Let's see...so many dumb things. I would have to say thinking it was OK to glance down at my laptop while tuning the car just in time to see a doe smash into the front of the car. Over $7000 damage which included a few extra parts due to minor scratches. The parts replaced were front bumper cover with all the foam behind, upper and lower grill that has the lip, right headlight assy, right front fender and the AFCO heat exchanger. Bowtie and Camaro emblems and an awesome paint blending job. Thankfully I negotiated that all the panels be replaced with genuine GM new panels instead of working out and body filler. No chassie or inner fender issues at all.
I love deer, but only on my BBQ grill, not my front grill.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 04:38 PM   #19
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
Let's see...so many dumb things. I would have to say thinking it was OK to glance down at my laptop while tuning the car just in time to see a doe smash into the front of the car. Over $7000 damage which included a few extra parts due to minor scratches. The parts replaced were front bumper cover with all the foam behind, upper and lower grill that has the lip, right headlight assy, right front fender and the AFCO heat exchanger. Bowtie and Camaro emblems and an awesome paint blending job. Thankfully I negotiated that all the panels be replaced with genuine GM new panels instead of working out and body filler. No chassie or inner fender issues at all.
I love deer, but only on my BBQ grill, not my front grill.
Oh wow Mark!! Man that was an expensive one!! Geezzz...
Old 10-25-2023, 04:41 PM   #20
CPCNY

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, VR ext/Blk Int
Backed into my pressure washer last fall in my garage. $1200 to fix the minor dent because I was too lazy to move the pressure washer to a better spot.
CPCNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 07:20 PM   #21
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Some of the stories are hilarious some of them straight up scary af lol
but it might help someone to avoid the same mistake
Old 10-25-2023, 07:22 PM   #22
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewt50 View Post
Sorry about the NASA comment but at first glance, thats what came to mind Thats a great looking car
All good Bro and TY
Old 10-25-2023, 07:32 PM   #23
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
In 10 years of ownership I curbed a wheel a couple of times and though most of my mods were a success, painting the bowtie on the steering wheel definitely wasn't.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 08:00 PM   #24
Bee

Drives: SS/RS - Rally Yellow
Cosmetically, probably the dumbest thing I ever did was to try replacing the fuel door. Even though it has a nice look and feel to it (powder-coated billet), the door was too flat so it left a rather large gap at the top. Plus, the large black circle in the middle of the yellow quarter panel just drew too much attention for my liking. Thankfully, it was an easy enough swap so I am sticking with the original.

Name:  Fuel Door.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  399.4 KB

Mechanically, my biggest moment was the time I removed my throttle body to give it a nice polish over the winter. I knew I was going to have it off for awhile so I could take my time with it, so I thought it would be good to place a towel over the intake manifold to prevent dust from settling in. Fast-forward to early spring, I was in a rush to move the car out of the garage...for whatever reason I don't know. Needless to say, I completely forgot that the TB was still sitting on my bench. I fired the car up and immediately remembered I didn't have the TB installed so I shut it off and reinstalled the TB. I restarted the car and it still wasn't running right...as black smoke began to creep out the exhaust pipes and the smell of something nasty starting to burn, it then dawned on me that I had covered the intake with a rag, which was now shredded inside the engine. This was the first (and hopefully only) time it had to be towed. Thankfully, no damage was done...most of the rag was caught in the valve springs but a few pieces made their way into the oil pan.

The moral of the story is...ALWAYS leave a note inside the car to remind yourself not to start it until the job is completely done.

Name:  Tow.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  678.5 KB

SEPA5 South Eastern Pennsylvania 5th Gen Camaro Club
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 08:02 PM   #25
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Dumbest thing I ever did was let road rage get the better of me... I had some guy brake check me a couple times when he was blocking the traffic, so I swerved around him, got in front of him and slammed on my brakes... I have Brembos, he apparently didn't and smashed into the rear corner of my car. It was a night, I went to pull over on the shoulder to discuss and he must have turned his lights out and disappeared into the night because I didn't see him anywhere. Cost me almost a grand in exhaust work to replace the mufflers, tips and fix the bumper.... Diffuser is permanently bent now, and I have a bunch of paint transfer marks that went all the way down to the plastic.... My road rage is alot more under control now.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 08:04 PM   #26
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arogg View Post
Yeah, I'm kind of waiting until I can find an affordable rear GM GFX piece. I don't like any of the others. unfortunately my little love tap got the bumper and the GFX diffuser. Its been about 3 years since it happened.
I believe I know where a diffuser is, I think it’s missing the side brackets though.

Edit: disregard I checked in on it and it’s been sold. I know there’s a carbon fiber version of the GFX diffuser on eBay for around $500
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.

Last edited by Aqua Blue RS/SS; 10-25-2023 at 10:10 PM.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 09:24 PM   #27
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
I'm not a stereo guy by any means but what I like about your set-up is everything is exposed. Easier to troubleshoot wiring gremlins.
That's exactly right, and it helped a lot because I had a bunch of ground noise interference
Old 10-26-2023, 03:35 AM   #28
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Once curbed a wheel.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dumb stuff