Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 02-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
Jeremy711

Drives: 2016 2SS
16' 2SS Shuts off at WOT

Last month I floored it on the interstate doing about 70. A second later the whole car shuts off and nearly slings me through the windshield. At first I thought something broke as I heard a weird noise like I ran something over. I suspected it was the nannies kicking in and continued on my way. Well on the way to the the beach yesterday it did it again. This time I had a friend with me who noticed the 'noise' was the doors unlocking and relocking right when the car shuts off. On the way back home it was dark so I tried it again and this time noticed the headlights flash as well. It's almost as though the acc button is pressed. Anyone had this happen?
Jeremy711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Any mods? Sounds like an electrical issue.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #3
Jeremy711

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
Any mods? Sounds like an electrical issue.
I had the vitesse throttle controller but took it off last year. I saw a post somewhere stating the electrical harness is close to the exhaust. Maybe when I floor it it's touching it and shorting something out? Guess I'll need to get it to the dealer after my trip to Savannah this week.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:19 AM   #4
Camarofan93

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS & 2018 ZL1 1LE
Had something similar happen to me. The wiring harness came undone
Camarofan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
17txcamaross

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521546

Not sure we are having a similar issue, but my 2017 2SS A8 started acting up last Monday. Thought the problem was just the battery and was corrected on Wednesday.

Fast forward to Friday and the car is freaking out again. This time the car starts no problem and we will see what the dealers says.

Sucks to watch the car go away on a flat bed twice in a week. Got a bad taste in my mouth about this.
17txcamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:44 PM   #6
Jeremy711

Find anything out? Mine is pretty consistent. When I floor it I believe it does it between shifts. I'm taking it to the dealer once they have a loaner ready for me. Radiator is leaking as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17txcamaross View Post
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521546

Not sure we are having a similar issue, but my 2017 2SS A8 started acting up last Monday. Thought the problem was just the battery and was corrected on Wednesday.

Fast forward to Friday and the car is freaking out again. This time the car starts no problem and we will see what the dealers says.

Sucks to watch the car go away on a flat bed twice in a week. Got a bad taste in my mouth about this.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:50 PM   #7
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
So after I installed my headers the heat shield ended up cutting into negative wire, caused a short, this only happened at WOT and whole car died, I would check your harness or what not and do your best to move any wiring away from exhaust / mods you have recently done as that was my cause
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:00 AM   #8
17txcamaross

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy711 View Post
Find anything out? Mine is pretty consistent. When I floor it I believe it does it between shifts. I'm taking it to the dealer once they have a loaner ready for me. Radiator is leaking as well...
Got word yesterday that my service advisor thinks the issue is from when a different dealer replaced my torque converter.

During the reinstall he said they installed a heat shield upside down and did not put a wire harness back in its correct bracket. The wire was contacting the heat shield and shorting the system. Said when they were live streaming and testing the car about half the systems would lose power for a split second under acceleration. He was then able to recreate the doors locking and unlocking and the car shifting itself into neutral.

On the other side, if you have installed headers on your vehicle I would start with those wiring harnesses mentioned above.

If you were in Houston I would tell you to head over to Mac Haik...they will now be my go to dealer for warranty work. Very detailed work and my advisor there is a long time Camaro owner. Even has a 2017 ZL1.

Here's to hoping once they replace the wiring, harnesses and reinstall everything correctly that the issue goes away.
17txcamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:06 AM   #9
Jeremy711

This has to be it. My dealer replaced my converter a couple months ago.

Thanks for the info! Hopefully they can get it in next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17txcamaross View Post
Got word yesterday that my service advisor thinks the issue is from when a different dealer replaced my torque converter.

During the reinstall he said they installed a heat shield upside down and did not put a wire harness back in its correct bracket. The wire was contacting the heat shield and shorting the system. Said when they were live streaming and testing the car about half the systems would lose power for a split second under acceleration. He was then able to recreate the doors locking and unlocking and the car shifting itself into neutral.

On the other side, if you have installed headers on your vehicle I would start with those wiring harnesses mentioned above.

If you were in Houston I would tell you to head over to Mac Haik...they will now be my go to dealer for warranty work. Very detailed work and my advisor there is a long time Camaro owner. Even has a 2017 ZL1.

Here's to hoping once they replace the wiring, harnesses and reinstall everything correctly that the issue goes away.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #10
Jeremy711

Took a ride with the tech this morning who also has an SS. I was able to duplicate the problem and he immediately replied that it's the Rev limiter. I'm still skeptical. Does the Rev limiter cause this car to fall on it's face rather than slowly reduce power? And unlock/lock the doors. Just strange!
Old 04-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Lol hell no.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #12
Jeremy711

Captured it happening on video:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/axTCnXNHDt48zRgH2