Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-17-2018, 04:06 AM   #1
12SilverBulletSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
About to do an install on 2017 SS 1LE; what wire, DSP, adapters?

Hello all,
I am finally getting around to getting everything I need to install an upgrade into my 2017 Camaro SS 1LE. I ordered all of this stuff for my old Tacoma but I sold it before I could get all of this stuff installed. It just so happens to fit in my Camaro. Here is what I have so far:

-Hybrid Audio Technology U69-2V2 6x9 component set for the front
-Hybrid Audio Technology M61-2 coaxials for the rear
-Arc Audio XDi 450.4 amplifier
-Amp wiring kit
-Plenty of sound deadner for the speaker locations

What I need to solidify is the following:

-What DSP to run? I don't need anything super expensive and would like to stay under $300. Initially I am looking at the AudioControl LC7i on the low end or the JL Audio FiX86 on the high end. Any suggestions w/pro and cons?

-Where to tie into the factory system for the DSP. My initial though it to run a four conductor wire to each speaker location with harness adapter for the stock speakers. I would stash the component crossovers up front somewhere.

-What is a good four conductor wire for this purpose? Should I stay away from CCA wire? Will in-wall home audio stuff work well? What awg will i need (16 or 18)?

-What speaker brackets will I need? Any ideas on how to mount the tweeters in the dash since there are no readily available adapters?

-Is there a good spot to tap for the remote turn-on wire?

I will mount all the stuff in the spare tire well on a piece of MDF (DSP/Amp) and fashion it in a way to also retain the air pump in there. I have thought about upgrading the amp to a 5 channel in case I want to run one of the JL Audio Steathbox setups.

However, I track my car so I don't know if I want the added weight. I am assuming that it will add 40 pounds to the rear of the car between the enclosure, amp, and wiring. Using just the above wont add nearly that.
12SilverBulletSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
one R

Drives: 2017 1ss
front speaker adapter is metra 82-3017 .. that is the same one to be used if adding speakers into the rear deck shelf . that is for a 6x9 you may have to add some modifications to change out to a different size set up . even at this point as i am building a 2 part sub box so as to not lose any of the already limited trunk space i still dont know if i will you use a sound processor or not !. im using a pioneer gmd9605 and uses self turn un if using speaker level input ( thats how i am starting but it maybe changed depending on the audio quality ) seems people have been using the "wireless charging " fuse as a remote turn on for the amp . imin just an SS and i dont want to give conflickting info as to how your set up is with factory signal /amp set up ,cant recall if it is ampless or like the base ss or a 2ss (bose)
one R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
12SilverBulletSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
The 1LE’s are so bare bones they don’t have an amp. Plus the rear channels have an active Passover that limit the lows. The best way to overcome that is use a DSP even though my amp has high level inputs.

I will look those up. I am guessing there are no dash tweeter adapters. The rears I am pretty sure bolt right up.
12SilverBulletSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #4
one R

Drives: 2017 1ss
just came to find out metra also makes a speaker adapter that will fit a 6.5 or 6.75 directly into the door or rear deck openings part # 82 3018 .. originaly i thought about just leaving the rear side panels in there spot and leaving them un hooked. And adding speakers in the rear deck . ive since decided to try to put a larger speaker in the side panel and remove the material where the rear factory 6x9s would have been to ease the sound from the sub into the cabin area .
one R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #5
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
This should plug into the tuner by the passenger footwell and give RCA outs.

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT838/m650-gm.html
WhyUMad1LE is online now   Reply With Quote