Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 01-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
Annatar

Drives: ZL1 six speed manual
Lingenfelter ZL1

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked, or if there is a better place to ask this (in which case please move).

A buddy of mine owns a stage 2 Lingenfelter ZL1. He has a manual toggle switch installed in the console for controlling the exhaust flaps.

He's concerned about engine damage (because he has the stage 2 done to the engine) if he drives the car hard with the exhaust flaps closed, and has asked me to research it for him.

Is there any possibility of engine damage when flooring it with closed exhaust flaps?
Annatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annatar View Post
Apologies in advance if this has already been asked, or if there is a better place to ask this (in which case please move).

A buddy of mine owns a stage 2 Lingenfelter ZL1. He has a manual toggle switch installed in the console for controlling the exhaust flaps.

He's concerned about engine damage (because he has the stage 2 done to the engine) if he drives the car hard with the exhaust flaps closed, and has asked me to research it for him.

Is there any possibility of engine damage when flooring it with closed exhaust flaps?
It was already designed to open under WOT before putting a Mild to WIld switch on it so why would he go WOT with it closed? If it's because its to loud then take the ticket or don't do it.

He is running a 10% lower and 2.55 upper, plus a 629/656 cam, so you are adding tremendous boost with longer value duration and then plugging the exhaust and asking for a part of the CAT to come back in to the Heads because its open longer. Or maybe not
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #3
Annatar

Drives: ZL1 six speed manual
He doesn't have a Mild2wild controller, that's why he's unsure.

The switch appears to be an on-off switch of some sort, rather than a simple F8 cut-off. We haven't yet reverse-engineered how it works or ran tests because the car is in the garage for the Winter.
Annatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
gmorris

Drives: 2015 ZL1, Red Hot A6
There is no danger to the engine t run with the flaps closed. Lots of people do it once catless to cut down the noise. Worst case is a slight addition to backpressure and miniscule power loss but likely not noticeable.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorris View Post
There is no danger to the engine t run with the flaps closed. Lots of people do it once catless to cut down the noise. Worst case is a slight addition to backpressure and miniscule power loss but likely not noticeable.
Lots of people do it once catless .. That's the Key.. Just sharing what GM warranty is seeing come back in..
Old 01-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #6
crazydave

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
I ran the 1/4 once with the flaps forced closed by accident. Cost me maybe a full .1 at the most. The increase to the back pressure is minimal.
Current Mods: Rotofab CAI, Big Gulp, and Res. ATI Superdamper and 10" Lower, DSX FF Sensor, DSX Aux Fuel Pump, ID850s, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers, Forced Induction Interchiller, McLeod RTX Twin disk. DSX Tuned. Running on 20" MT ET Street SS on stock wheels for the strip.

Best 1/4 mile to date:10.81 @130.43 mph w/ 1.61 60'

Just added: Jokerz Stage II blower port and FI Interchillers blower lid spacer.
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
gmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Lots of people do it once catless .. That's the Key.. Just sharing what GM warranty is seeing come back in..
So you think the engine is going to suck the cats back up through the primary, through the valves and into the chamber? I'd love to see one example of that. Increased back pressure doesn't mean massive vacuum. I have run mine (600whp) with cats and flaps closed hundreds of times. Choosing to not have an obnoxious car doesn't mean that you aren't allowed to have a fast car lol.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2018, 04:53 PM   #8
ZMEnow

Quote:
So you think the engine is going to suck the cats back up through the primary, through the valves and into the chamber? I'd love to see one example of that. Increased back pressure doesn't mean massive vacuum. I have run mine (600whp) with cats and flaps closed hundreds of times. Choosing to not have an obnoxious car doesn't mean that you aren't allowed to have a fast car lol.

Yes I have been shown examples of the LSA sucking pieces of a failed cat back up. Until the CAT completely fails those pieces have nowhere to go but sit on the front side of the CAT.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:57 PM   #9
gmorris

Quote:
Yes I have been shown examples of the LSA sucking pieces of a failed cat back up. Until the CAT completely fails those pieces have nowhere to go but sit on the front side of the CAT.
Ok, assuming that's possible, do you really think that whether the exhaus flaps were open or closed would have made any difference?

Old 01-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #10
ZMEnow

Quote:
Ok, assuming that's possible, do you really think that whether the exhaus flaps were open or closed would have made any difference?

Yes or I wouldn't have posted it.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #11
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
Probably a good idea to call Lingenfelter and ask them what they think.
Its probably not a big deal.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:18 PM   #12
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Never happen.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #13
gmorris

Quote:
Yes or I wouldn't have posted it.
That's what I'm afraid of...others might read it and believe it too.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:34 AM   #14
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Never happen.
Certainly wouldn't intentually bring bs to this site. I got this from one of the of GM warranty claims approvers who is a trusted friend and significant racer.