Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 03-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #1
baron95
2018 1LE, NASA Instructor

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
SS 1LE Alignment - How to get -2.0+ Neg Camber

I'm hoping someone here can help. Dealer service manager refused to do track alignment (said "we don't do that"). Took to local (reliable) tire/alignment shop and the tech claims he could not get nearly enough front negative camber. All else is passable.

Below is the alignment sheet. Top is how it came from factory - WARNING check yours. Mine was all over the place. Botton is what the tech got to.

I gave him the alignment targets - he loaded on his computer the closest he could get from his vehicle list (ZL1 1LE - disregard that)

Question - how bad will it be tracking with just ˜-1.1/-1.4 front camber? Anyone knows where can I take it in Fairfield County, CT to get a proper alignment?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by baron95; 03-22-2018 at 06:54 PM.
baron95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Thats messed up, I just had my 2016 SS done to the 2017 1LE Performance track specs at my dealer. I can take pic or scan/upload what they did. But certainly not gonna help you 150miles away.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
I'm hoping someone here can help. Dealer service manager refused to do track alignment (said "we don't do that"). Took to local (reliable) tire/alignment shop and the tech could not get nearly enough front negative camber. All else is passable.

Below is the alignment sheet. Top is how it came from factory - WARNING check yours. Mine was all over the place. Botton is what the tech got to.

I gave him the alignment targets - he loaded on his computer the closest he could get from his vehicle list (ZL1 1LE - disregard that)

Question - how bad will it be tracking with just ˜-1.1/-1.4 front camber? Anyone knows where can I take it in Fairfield County, CT to get a proper alignment?

Thanks.
I dont' think he even tried to adjust camber on the front axle, all he did was adjust toe.

The only camber adjustment on the front axle is via the upper bolt on the lower strut mount. It is a slotted/elongated hole from the factory. Loosen both the upper and lower bolts on the lower strut mount, and push in the top of the tire... voila-2+ degrees.

If you drive anywere close to an advanced/instructor pace, you'll destroy your front tires in a weekened w/ that current spec camber.
Attached Images

Last edited by Provoste; 03-22-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Get your performance supplement book out of you users manual and show them the page where it says track alignment specs.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
driven2exceSS

Here ya go... Keep in mind my "Before measurements" were NOT factory #'s, those were due to my lowering spring(s) install, which was why I sought to do the new "Current measurements" before hopefully heading back to Palmer.
Attached Images

NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
Old 03-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #6
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
...Question - how bad will it be tracking with just ˜-1.1/-1.4 front camber? Anyone knows where can I take it in Fairfield County, CT to get a proper alignment?

Thanks.
Get a new dealership and alignment shop, they're both useless and/or incompetent. Also, pretty much everyone's alignment has proven to be out of whack off the truck from the factory. It's their job to get the car out the door, not fiddle with alignments.

Provoste is on-point, as always. To adjust the front camber you need to loosen the nuts and then tap the bolt back to release its clamping force from the strut, as it holds tight without the nut because of its splines.

Everyone has been able to get at least -2.0° with stock struts. What you're at now will decimate your outside shoulders very quickly. Even -2.0° has proven to be inadequate for advanced-level HPDE pace, more like -2.5 to -3.0 is appropriate, but you need to either elongate your strut holes or get camber plates to get that far.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
baron95

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Get your performance supplement book out of you users manual and show them the page where it says track alignment specs.
I have that printed out and showed them the page. That didn't seem to help. This part of the country I'm in sucks - no performance enthusiasts, a sea of crossover and expensive cars to go to the mall. :(
Old 03-22-2018, 07:00 PM   #8
baron95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
I dont' think he even tried to adjust camber on the front axle, all he did was adjust toe.

The only camber adjustment on the front axle is via the upper bolt on the lower strut mount. It is a slotted/elongated hole from the factory. Loosen both the upper and lower bolts on the lower strut mount, and push in the top of the tire... voila-2+ degrees.
Thanks. Is this something I can do in my garage and push to max camber without messing up the other alignment parameters? I sucks to be going around trying to find someone to do a proper alignment.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:30 PM   #9
Provoste

Quote:
Thanks. Is this something I can do in my garage and push to max camber without messing up the other alignment parameters? I sucks to be going around trying to find someone to do a proper alignment.
Yeah, but your toe will be REALLY jacked. If you’re going to move camber, I’d also just try and adjust toe (via the tie rods) so that you can drive to aligntmt to have toe set. However- If I were you, I’d see if there is a local PCA (Porsche club) or CCA (BMW club) that does track events. If so, those guys can point you in the right direction for a shop that can do a proper track alignment. Or just find a local European shop that could recommend an alignment shop. The SS 1LE camber adjustment setup isn’t very unique, that lower strut adjustment is very common.

Last edited by Provoste; 03-23-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:44 PM   #10
Provoste

Quickly found this:

https://jannettyracing.com/
Old 03-22-2018, 10:16 PM   #11
BigShow1960
BigShow

Drives: 2017 1 Camaro + Chevy Avalanche
The dealer needs to order a pair of alignment bolts, then run something like $3.50 each. Show them this
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/attach...6&d=1500607140
BigShow1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:34 PM   #12
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShow1960 View Post
The dealer needs to order a pair of alignment bolts, then run something like $3.50 each. Show them this
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/attach...6&d=1500607140
Least of his problems.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:19 AM   #13
driven2exceSS

Quote:
Have you searched for an "official" Chevrolet Performance Parts Dealer that is closest to you? Or maybe one that does a lot of Vett sales/service? They may be better at understanding the desired track specs, could be worth a trip? I did do a rough search for Fairfield, CT most Performance Dealers listed are prob an hour away from you, or a ferry ride to NY maybe?? Do you think you could get anywhere going back to the last shop and ask the manager to have a different technician re-attempt gaining the specs desired? Certainly frustrating no matter how this ends up for you when it is all said and done. Best of luck... keep us posted Sir!
Old 03-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #14
RacerX78

Can camber be adjusted via the strut bolts stock? Or do we need to get camber bolts to make adjustments?
RacerX78 is offline   Reply With Quote