Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
nvrlast07

Drives: 2011 synergy green rs
2017 Camro 1SS 1LE arrival

So i am a big fan of the new 6th gen camaro, my mind recently has been on the zl1 side of the forums. I have been trolling the zl1 forums and chiming in where i think my voice can be heard. Plus i like seeing what people think about the zl1 especially now that production has officially started and zl1 models are being delivered daily.

The amount of zl1 photos on the zl1 forums is really great, it really makes me want to own one. But i recently have been talking with some local camaro owners. Ultimatly they asked me what i was looking for in a performance camaro.

My answer was i am looking for a camaro that i can play with, customize and and have just the right amount of hp for me (600ish horsepower). They suggest looking at the 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE package, it has all the features of the zl1 minus the blower, different style seats and some exterior mods and brakes and suspension.

So that got me thinking. You know i like the 1le seats better than the zl1 and i really don't need the heated and cooled seats, i don't need the magnetic ride control due to me wanting to lower the front end (crazy fender to tire space), i don't like the zl1 rear spoiler (i prefer the wedge 1le style), i like the big brakes which that is an option for the 1le. Yes the zl1 has a blower but procharger makes a supercharger makes a blower for the lt1 motor and cams too both of which will be installed within the first 6 months of it's life. PDR is not really for me.

So i guess i just answer my own question, if someone is looking for a great turn key high performance car that requires no modifications well the zl1 is your answer but if your looking for some customization and little more owner input into the build of your car and not to mention the availble krypton green paint available this winter then the 1le model is your car.
nvrlast07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:14 AM   #2
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Yup. Plus you have a lot of $$ to play with if you take a ZL1 budget approach.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:23 AM   #3
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
The SS 1LE comes with mag ride, 6 front piston brakes, E-diff, track tires and comes in manual only. If you can take advantage of that additional track hardware then the 1LE is a great performance bargain. Using your logic though though, you could just buy a standard 1SS and save even more money.

However, if you were really gonna do all those mods then you are still better off biting the bullet and buying the ZL1. The ZL1 will maintain the warranty and will hold its value better than a modded 1SS.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
The production 1LE does not have as much wheel gap as the show car. It's about the same as a ZL1.

WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:32 AM   #5
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrlast07 View Post
So i am a big fan of the new 6th gen camaro, my mind recently has been on the zl1 side of the forums. I have been trolling the zl1 forums and chiming in where i think my voice can be heard. Plus i like seeing what people think about the zl1 especially now that production has officially started and zl1 models are being delivered daily.

The amount of zl1 photos on the zl1 forums is really great, it really makes me want to own one. But i recently have been talking with some local camaro owners. Ultimatly they asked me what i was looking for in a performance camaro.

My answer was i am looking for a camaro that i can play with, customize and and have just the right amount of hp for me (600ish horsepower). They suggest looking at the 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE package, it has all the features of the zl1 minus the blower, different style seats and some exterior mods and brakes and suspension.

So that got me thinking. You know i like the 1le seats better than the zl1 and i really don't need the heated and cooled seats, i don't need the magnetic ride control due to me wanting to lower the front end (crazy fender to tire space), i don't like the zl1 rear spoiler (i prefer the wedge 1le style), i like the big brakes which that is an option for the 1le. Yes the zl1 has a blower but procharger makes a supercharger makes a blower for the lt1 motor and cams too both of which will be installed within the first 6 months of it's life. PDR is not really for me.

So i guess i just answer my own question, if someone is looking for a great turn key high performance car that requires no modifications well the zl1 is your answer but if your looking for some customization and little more owner input into the build of your car and not to mention the availble krypton green paint available this winter then the 1le model is your car.
So the ZL1 already has the power youre looking for, with a warranty to match, and going to save you money when things inevitably go wrong. Both cars have magnetic ride, the spoiler is an easy-ish fix (need a new dick lid) 1LE and ZL1 both come with 6-pistons. IIRC the ZL1 and 1LE both use the same seats (someone fact-check me on that)?
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #6
mines13

Drives: FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting46 View Post
So the ZL1 already has the power youre looking for, with a warranty to match, and going to save you money when things inevitably go wrong. Both cars have magnetic ride, the spoiler is an easy-ish fix (need a new dick lid) 1LE and ZL1 both come with 6-pistons. IIRC the ZL1 and 1LE both use the same seats (someone fact-check me on that)?
You are correct, the difference is how they are trimmed.
mines13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #7
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Same seats but the ZL1 has heated/vented.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:00 AM   #8
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP you cannot build a ZL1 for the same $$ as a real ZL1. And if you tried you would spend as much or more and your 1LE would still be worth only what a used 1LE is worth, if that. It will be harder to trade or sell than a mostly stock 1LE.

And really the 1LE is great on a road course, but just adding FI to mix does not a ZL1 make.

If you are dead set on doing this I would start with a 1 or 2SS. Great deals can be found if you are patient. This way you won't have as many $$ invested to start with and every SS is just as capable of handling more power as the 1LE.

Been there done this.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #9
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrlast07 View Post

I couldn't agree more... check my signature for my project car...
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #10
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
The SS 1LE comes with mag ride, 6 front piston brakes, E-diff, track tires and comes in manual only. If you can take advantage of that additional track hardware then the 1LE is a great performance bargain. Using your logic though though, you could just buy a standard 1SS and save even more money.

However, if you were really gonna do all those mods then you are still better off biting the bullet and buying the ZL1. The ZL1 will maintain the warranty and will hold its value better than a modded 1SS.
I disagree.... its easy to tune and add power... its a lot harder to properly set up and tune an aftermarket suspension without track time...

GM spent a year tracking the new 1LE on the Nurburging with some of the best chassis engineers in the industry...
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #11
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa406079 View Post
I disagree.... its easy to tune and add power... its a lot harder to properly set up and tune an aftermarket suspension without track time...

GM spent a year tracking the new 1LE on the Nurburging with some of the best chassis engineers in the industry...
And throwing an extra 50-75 lbs in the front with a supercharger will dork it all up
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #12
Diggitydog

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Nightfall Convertible M6
Quote:
And throwing an extra 50-75 lbs in the front with a supercharger will dork it all up
Agree with this. Basically that's the Dodge Kitty Kat approach. 1LE will be a better starting spot than the SS.
Diggitydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #13
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
You can build one that's just as fast or faster, but it still won't be like the Zl1 and you can build the power much cheaper, but it still won't be a Zl1 and won't be worth the money later on and if you want an A10 you can't duplicate that with the current A8 auto. You can buy a 2016 2SS pretty cheap right now, put a heart beat on it and make 550 rwhp, lower it do a few other mods and be a little over 50k if you can do the install yourself.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #14
fradaj

Drives: RS
What is up with the rear spoiler, are the end pieces missing?
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote