Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #43
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDanny View Post
I'm glad someone else in Cali has the pair to run no mufflers too
Don't let Nancy Pelosi, Maxine Waters or Jerry Brown find out or thats your azz!
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #44
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsnare98 View Post
Almost every npp equipment exhaust is that price.
Thats why the GM NPP is the best deal. Plus I yet to hear an aftermarket exhaust that sounds really any better than NPP at least not $1000 worth better. Show me a setup that gives me a totally different/better sound other than just being louder and I might be interested.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #45
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquem View Post
Holy dog crap. Is that English?
You never heard that southern Atlanta Ga. twang before???
Old 10-15-2017, 08:20 PM   #46
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
"You get what you pay for" excuse me while I go vomit. What a worthless statement which is the go to for those defending the price of mufflers. Mufflers. Not exhaust systems. Mufflers. Freaking mufflers. If the R&D was so tight then why all the problems? There's no R&D involved by band clamping the OEM valves onto mufflers. The crappy OEM valves. $1500 for mufflers with crappy OEM valves. Fantastic idea. Bravo!
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #47
david borla

Drives: Ford GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperJake View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread by any means but... I was told today you cannot have the black tips on the Atak system... I dont know how they mount up... or maybe it makes a difference that I have a 3.6L and not an SS..? I'm also planning to convert from duals to quad tips without the NPP valves...

I really want the black tips so if anyone can help me out please do!

We offer black, carbon fiber tips for your Camaro. If you'd like more info please send me an email at davidb@borla.com. Thanks.
david borla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #48
david borla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arugon View Post
Been rocking my Non-NPP Atak Quad CF Tips for a few months now, nothing but good things to say about them. Can't speak to the valves but the sound is perfect, no drone when cruising either.
Thanks for the kind words. If you do run into any issues please contact me directly at davidb@borla.com
Old 10-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #49
david borla

Quote:
Yeah, we're all facing the same challenges. Remember it's not just the valves (which are expensive, precision parts) but more importantly the dual paths within the mufflers. You have to create a muffler strategy that has 2 paths within each muffler, loud and quiet(er).

Add 2 exhaust valves to 2, bi-modal mufflers and the cost for manufacturers is high.

You'll notice the price for non-npp aftermarket exhaust systems is a lot lower for all manufacturers.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #50
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAUSA View Post
"You get what you pay for" excuse me while I go vomit. What a worthless statement which is the go to for those defending the price of mufflers. Mufflers. Not exhaust systems. Mufflers. Freaking mufflers. If the R&D was so tight then why all the problems? There's no R&D involved by band clamping the OEM valves onto mufflers. The crappy OEM valves. $1500 for mufflers with crappy OEM valves. Fantastic idea. Bravo!
LOL a statement that often holds true Just stating my opinion that this is my first experience with Borla and fit/finish has been excellent and other than the bad valve (which is being resolved) quality has been great as well. I'd imagine there is significant R&D in getting a muffler to eliminate drone while offering maximum volume at throttle but you're free to think whatever you want. At the end of the day $1500 (3%-4% of your vehicle's value) for an exhaust that's aggressive and doesn't drone really isn't that bad.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #51
Mighunter

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashBang23 View Post
LOL a statement that often holds true Just stating my opinion that this is my first experience with Borla and fit/finish has been excellent and other than the bad valve (which is being resolved) quality has been great as well. I'd imagine there is significant R&D in getting a muffler to eliminate drone while offering maximum volume at throttle but you're free to think whatever you want. At the end of the day $1500 (3%-4% of your vehicle's value) for an exhaust that's aggressive and doesn't drone really isn't that bad.
Hey, he's entitled to his opinion but until I'm spending someone else's money instead of MINE on mods, I think you and i and everyone else, should do what we like and makes us happy regardless if someone else feels its overpriced or crap.
Mighunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #52
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
I agree.

NPP functionality is expensive. Things USED to be much cheaper, but these cars are a far cry from their predecessors. I don't quite understand the Kerfuffle. Are there similar quality, no drone system with NPP functionality for much cheaper? I am honestly curious as I only know of Borla and SW, and they are very similar in price.

I have always had an amazing experience with Borla as a company and their exhaust offerings. Have their ATAK on my M3, and I can tell R&D was put in to this system because there is ZERO drone and it sounds FANTASTIC. They do that with all their systems. I hate the cliche, but it is true that you cannot get quality for bargain prices.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:22 PM   #53
FlashBang23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighunter View Post
Hey, he's entitled to his opinion but until I'm spending someone else's money instead of MINE on mods, I think you and i and everyone else, should do what we like and makes us happy regardless if someone else feels its overpriced or crap.
couldn't agree more
Old 10-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #54
FlashBang23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I agree.

NPP functionality is expensive. Things USED to be much cheaper, but these cars are a far cry from their predecessors. I don't quite understand the Kerfuffle. Are there similar quality, no drone system with NPP functionality for much cheaper? I am honestly curious as I only know of Borla and SW, and they are very similar in price.

I have always had an amazing experience with Borla as a company and their exhaust offerings. Have their ATAK on my M3, and I can tell R&D was put in to this system because there is ZERO drone and it sounds FANTASTIC. They do that with all their systems. I hate the cliche, but it is true that you cannot get quality for bargain prices.
Magnaflow appears to have just started offering functioning NPP as well. MF, Borla, and SW are the only big name brands I know of offering systems right now.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #55
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashBang23 View Post
Magnaflow appears to have just started offering functioning NPP as well. MF, Borla, and SW are the only big name brands I know of offering systems right now.
Oh yeah, you are right and thanks for the reply!!! Wonder if the MF drones, I know some of their stuff has before, but not sure on how their whole systems perform. Pretty well I assume.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:33 PM   #56
FlashBang23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Oh yeah, you are right and thanks for the reply!!! Wonder if the MF drones, I know some of their stuff has before, but not sure on how their whole systems perform. Pretty well I assume.
I'd think it would depend on what system you went with. I know on the 5.0s the competition spec is very aggressive (basically a straight pipe setup) and droned I assume it would on our cars as well. My Borla S type with secondary deletes is amazing....zero drone yet very agressive for just a catback. I'm surprised Corsa hasn't come out with something yet. Doing some quick google searches the MF setup appears to be just as pricey as Borla.