Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #155
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
I want it now.
Quote:
Hey...I just want it now...call me Violet.
Quote:
No...as long as they make the model I want.
Quote:

Can any of you produce your man card or was it revoked?
Quote:
I don't know why you are getting so torqued up if you don't give a crap....just leave my thread alone if you don't care.
Quote:
Yes...and I am stating mine. Got it?
Quote:
Why that is getting everyone all puckered up is beyond me but it's funny to watch.
I didn't even get past the first page....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #156
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
If you compare the 5th gen to a 4th gen in terms of handling twisties, interior comfort, technology, etc. you'll find the 5th gen far superior.

There are many people that simply can't drive the car to its fullest, so you see slower times.. It is an IRS car, so it acts differently on the track than previous models. It is harder to launch for that reason + weight and wheel/tire size.

Also, leaving traction control/stabilitrak on, you do loose some of the brunt of the car by design.. There are several threads talking about what happens when people turn off the "nanny" and then think they can zip around.. Some have lost control quickly.

The 5th Gen isn't a drag racer.. While it will run it.. It's just not set up for that... The 5th Gen Suspension has a very nice breakdown on this site explaining all the tech built right in to the car and the perf numbers.

I don't see our IRS axles being any weaker than the old axles in the 4th Gens.. I remember plenty of people snapping axles in those with manual and slicks. If you think about the amount of TQ being dumped in to the IRS in a manual when you drop the clutch and hammer it coupled with the weight of this car and the mass it has to overcome to spin -- it's fairly impressive.

Not everyone wants a race car -- There are plenty of people in the local club I'm in that don't track their car and never will.. Hell, some don't even drive in the rain -- So, I seriously doubt they're too worried about 1/4 stats and weak axles.

Yes, the 5th Gen has some shortcomings -- but, so do Vette's.. Try riding in a C6 on a long road trip and then a 5th Gen -- Hell, try either in snow.

BTW -- if you're worried about snapping axles -- I'll sell you my stock pair sitting in the garage.. =)

Though, they did listen to us.. As mentioned, that's the ZL1 coming out soon.. People are already complaining about the price point that's proposed and that's just a top-end special Camaro.. Can you imagine the low numbers on this car if the SS was 55,000+ for starters? I'd hate to see the F-Body stop selling again and then be killed off.. It's bad enough the T/A, GTO and G8s are all dead... Let's not kill the Camaro too.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #157
Z28RockStar

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM 6M, 2007 Harley Deluxe
Talking HAHAHAHAHA!

Quote:
No kidding....you'd think I insulted someone's mama.....or puppies or something.

It's funny in a way....yet sad at the same time. I don't know how many of these people were actually alive during the 80s but the Mustang started trouncing the Camaro from a performance standpoint in 1982 and never looked back. The 4th Gens started reclaiming some of the advantage but too little too late.

The Mustang has historically been faster and had better parts. I'd hate to see that happen again.

What a jerk I am....I must not have any teeth.

Uh Oh....I said Mustang....this is really gonna bring the tough guys out.

HAHAHAHAHAHA LOVE IT!

I've owned 3 Mustangs and they were all awesome, I really have no issues with any make of vehicle or enthusiasts who tout them. I love poking fun at BUTTHURT or respectful competition though as in using the word "ricer" to describe imports lol. You want some outrageous unobtainable wicked half the weight twice the power car and who's anyone to make fun of that??? LOL

Old 05-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #158
Z28RockStar

OH, and and. . . .

this thread needs MOAR COWBELL!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #159
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
I only read a post here and there and it was already stated but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyways.

The answer to your conundrum is pretty simple. Your NEVER going to get the car your asking for. GM has to look at the large picture and not just what people are asking for. Believe it or not. Some people buy a car because it looks good, rides nice, and is pretty quick ( I am not in this group and I take it that you aren't either), and not because it does the 1/4 in 10 seconds flat, handles like a corvette, gets 50 mpg, and has a 100k bumper to bumper warranty. It just won't happen.

GM built a decent car that is (for the most part) easily "moddable" that hits the main points that buyers are looking for. There is such a large spectrum of requirements that people have that they would not be able to efficiently produce a vehicle that would fit your requirements.

My recommendation is to do what most everyone else on here is doing. Replacing the parts you don't like with the "must have's" and the "I wants".

Enjoy your 5th Gen!

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #160
Matt4949

Drives: 05 Cadi CTS, 12 Subaru Impreza
Ha haaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28RockStar View Post
OH, and and. . . .

this thread needs MOAR COWBELL!
Matt4949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #161
Z28RockStar

Talking MillerTime your name is AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I only read a post here and there and it was already stated but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyways.

The answer to your conundrum is pretty simple. Your NEVER going to get the car your asking for. GM has to look at the large picture and not just what people are asking for. Believe it or not. Some people buy a car because it looks good, rides nice, and is pretty quick ( I am not in this group and I take it that you aren't either), and not because it does the 1/4 in 10 seconds flat, handles like a corvette, gets 50 mpg, and has a 100k bumper to bumper warranty. It just won't happen.

GM built a decent car that is (for the most part) easily "moddable" that hits the main points that buyers are looking for. There is such a large spectrum of requirements that people have that they would not be able to efficiently produce a vehicle that would fit your requirements.

My recommendation is to do what most everyone else on here is doing. Replacing the parts you don't like with the "must have's" and the "I wants".

Enjoy your 5th Gen!
I say again. . . MillerTime your name is AWESOME!

*/ignore bored kid flaming lol*

*/jack thread* HAHAHAHAHA! ! ! ! !
Old 05-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #162
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
I can't believe this thread hasn't been locked yet.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #163
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Why would it be locked?
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #164
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
I recently purchased my 2011 SS and am busy building it into the car that I want it to be. I want more power, I need a better clutch, apparently the rear axles aren't worth crap etc etc. I just read a thread about the driveshaft being a pile of poo and the list goes on.

I would say this in an open letter to Chevrolet....one of my other hobbies are Jeeps. Jeep for years built shallow versions of what real Jeep enthusiasts wanted in order to satisfy the bean counters. They would never build a Jeep Wrangler that was actually a very capable off-roader, at least not REAL off roading.

For years Jeep enthusiasts asked for stronger axles, they asked for locked differentials, they asked for capable suspensions etc. Jeep never built it and the aftermarket prospered. Jeep FINALLY capitulated and built the Rubicon. They built it almost begrudgingly and expected it to be an utter failure due to the costs involved. This model featured Dana 44 axles front and back, electronic lockable axles, electronic swaybar disconnect....in other words...a very capable Jeep.

It cost more sure...but Jeep enthusiasts FLOCKED to this model Jeep and purchased as many as Jeep could make. The extra price tag made this model very profitable for Jeep and they continue to build them today.

I want a Camaro with a stout clutch, performance suspension, a rock solid set of axles and 500 damn horsepower at the rear wheel. I'd like to buy it and race it....not modify it just to make it capable of running with the big dogs. Don't get me wrong, the base SS is a nice car but I'd gladly pay more for a better axle, a stronger clutch and a strong motor.

Learn from Chrysler/Jeep....one of the most inept companies ever....listening to their enthusiast base was a very profitable move for them.
Oh, you had me right up to the "Chrysler made money" part. Right into Bankruptcy and Fiat ownership.

Quote:
You're very angry....the passive aggressive insults are cute but not needed.

At the end of the day...we all have our opinions....I can actually spell entitled and I want a Camaro with more power. Sue me.

I've also been in this industry my entire adult life....and from the sounds of it.....my life has been much longer than yours.
I'm older than you arrrrrrrrrre

Quote:
Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.....I should have researched more but I saw Synergy Green and lost my mind..

The ZL1 might be the answer...but by the time it comes out, I will have already built one.
You'll think you have, but you will have only come close...............unless you can upgrade to the MR suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
well - - I'll get to reading the entire thread later - but a couple of thoughts.

1. We are listening to our customers - please search for "The Camaro Disciples" on this site - you'll find that 15 men and women worked with us on the 5th gen......they brought feedback from many clubs and sites.....some of us spend nearly every weekend from April thru Mid-October with Camaro/Firebird Enthusiasts - again, listening to what they want and need......so please believe me - we're listening......

2. Don't assume that what you want is what everyone else wants. We must bring this car in at a reasonable cost. Not everyone wants to run a 12.5 in the 1/4 mile -

3. As I suspect many will mention - there is the soon-to-be available ZL1 -- there are the Berger Camaros - the Tom Henry Racing Camaros - the Hennessey Camaros - there are all kinds of special Camaros out there that may just be exactly what you were looking for.

4. We DID go thru Bankruptcy - and thus a lot of what you will see down the road should have been out there earlier....

5. Lest you forget - we make a car called the Corvette --

6. Your quote:

but Jeep enthusiasts FLOCKED to this model Jeep and purchased as many as Jeep could make
......for how long? Because the Jeep plant isn't running on overtime and hasn't been for some time.......... It's important not to assume something just because some enthusiasts have to wait for a while to get a vehicle.....

Be assured that we continue to talk to and listen to our customers -
Yeah, like he said.............

Quote:
You seem awfully butt hurt over me wanting a faster Camaro. Can I share other things I want too so you can get mad over those too?
What hurt? I suppose you want IBM back too, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksVSix View Post
All that would put the Camaro out of its intended price point. It's supposed to be an affordable/everyday sports car...something that the average person could afford. Chevrolet is not gonna make the Camaro 10K+ more expensive to satisfy 5% of Camaro drivers.

There's always the Corvette if you want all that stuff.
Damn! Stop injecting reason. It's like getting bucket of cold water thrown on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristoff View Post
Not at all. I'm not mad in the least over what you want. I simply think you are a doofus and I'm really enjoying antagonizing you and your foolish, self absorbed point of view.

I was actually done with my response after my first post, but keeping you posting nonsense about Jeep has become somewhat of a hobby for me today.
Everyone needs a good hobby.

Quote:
Well...everyone needs a purpose in life....looks like you found yours. Any chance you'd stop by and polish my wheels? I'll tip you a 20.....

I'm just guessing here, Huffer, but I think you'll get a no on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
You clearly only want GM to please you and nobody else. Many people have made valid points and you seem to just brush them off. It's a two way street, not everyone wants the car you want. GM has to build a car that the MAJORITY wants, after all they are a business and businesses want to make as much money as possible. That is not a bad connotation either, a business will make good money if they make a good product and treat customers accordingly, which GM does in my opinion.

Do you have the money to make the car the way you want? If so then have the work done, make it the car you want.

If you do not have the money, what is the point in putting the blame on GM? Then you wouldn't have the Camaro because it would be out of your price range yet built to your standards.
Some people just want what they want and the customer is always right sometimes.

Quote:
Since the dawn of time.....factories have had base models and then packages that are available. I am not asking for every Camaro to have upgraded components, but I'd like to be able to buy one that does.

If you go back through the years to the Boss 302...Trans Am car....specialty car. The 1LE edition was a road race package that had optional equipment and things like radio delete etc. There have been dozens of these packages over the years....Z28 being a popular one....ZL1....the list goes on.

If you are thinking that every model has to have the best components then that isn't what I am saying.....but like I said earlier....I am shocked I have to defend my position on this...but that's life, I guess I am unique in my thought process.
No, but to even add a low volume model with only the parts you want is a bit tougher in todays manufacturing environment....................regardless of what they did at the dawn of time. The ZL1 is the answer to your post with the exception of one point, you can't have it NOW.

Quote:
I suppose you are right....considering where GM was a few years ago, I guess we are lucky to have any options....still doesn't change me wanting more and doesn't explain Cristo's fascination with getting angry over my posts.

He's funny at least.....ok...maybe not.
No, the two of you are providing significant amusement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedveins View Post
Multi-quote... learn it.. stops the annoying double post anomaly.
Yeah, I haven't seen a giant multi-quote in ages that didn't have Camarospike23 tied to it.

Quote:
Yes ...something along those lines....heck a decent set of swaybars, rear control arms and bushings would be a good start along with ditching the 2 piece driveshaft.
You do know there are fundamental reasons for a 2 piece drive shaft don't you? After all it is more expensive, and it is done for a reason.

Quote:
I didn't demand anything drama queen Barbie.....but it would be nice!
Drama Queen Barbie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PercyJWellingtonIII View Post
Also keep in mind just because 10 or 20 years have passed does not mean that cars will continually get faster and faster. Car speeds have reached a plateau. And that plateau on average is and probably will remain in the 13 to 14 sec range for the average performance car. Sure you can buy faster but it will cost you and will not be considered a standard performance vehicle.
Flux capicitor is coming, my friend. Just you wait and see. 88 mph and it'll change your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Well, anything I would've said has already been said.
Fen, I expected more from you then that post. It was really kind of lame for you. Try harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam2011 View Post
The good people at Chevy and GM have done a remarkable job in designing/building these new camaro's and I love mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Since when is 426hp childs-play?

My first car had barely more than 100hp. My second car (which I still have) has barely more than 200. Now this one has 400. And there's people out there saying 500hp isn't enough.

I mean, really, how fast do you need to be going in reverse into the ditch/tree before you realize it's too much power for you?
Exactly 1 HP less than what it takes to end up going backwards at that tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carzzy View Post
Yeah, I have to agree with you there! 426 HP sounds impressive, but with the weight of this car pushing nearly 2 tons the performance is ok, but nothing spectacular! The performance of my LS3 Camaro SS is about the same as it was on my '02 Corvette Convertible LS1 (350 HP MN6). 76 HP more on the Camaro and also 750 more pounds in weight!
Booooo comparing a C5 to a Camaro? An '02 no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
I think it depends on what you're looking for in a new Camaro.

Not everyone wants to set their hair on fire when they hit warp speed........

(.......that's why I don't have much hair, by the way...........)

That's the beauty of Camaro ownership - you can personalize it anyway you want - you start out with a beautiful canvas!
Fbodfather, you know everyone on this site wants flaming hair, just like everyone has a SC under the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
Frankly, except for the ZL-1 if you're looking for "spectacular" performance, you've got the wrong car. Unless you want a smart car, you're going to find that nearly EVERYTHING has gotten a lot heavier than what members of its class of car weighted a couple decades ago. You'll notice that even the new Mustang GT with comparable power and significant weight savings only slightly edged out the Camaro SS.

Comparing the new Camaro to a ten year old Corvette and saying that their performance being equal means the Camaro isn't good enough is pretty silly in my opinion. Using the Corvette of any age as the "gold standard", personally I think it's pretty awesome that automotive technology has advanced enough that the much heavier new Camaro SS can be compared equally to a ten year old Corvette - or that a twenty year old Corvette would have a tough time keeping up with the new Camaro V6, even! That's quite an accomplishment, and for the price and segment of the market this is aimed at, it IS very impressive. You can still get more spectacular performance, but as has always been the case, that costs you more.

And for GM to come out with a monster like the ZL-1 less than three years into a new version of the Camaro after an eight MY hiatus, in the middle of the weakest economy in a generation and a push towards "green" cars as well as GM's own bankruptcy, is pretty remarkable. That interval sounds reasonable enough to me - and I think anyone who thinks otherwise ought to practice a thing called "patience" and shy away from the current "instant gratification" trend as much as possible.
Damn it!!! Another cold bucket of reason.

Quote:
No kidding....you'd think I insulted someone's mama.....or puppies or something.

It's funny in a way....yet sad at the same time. I don't know how many of these people were actually alive during the 80s but the Mustang started trouncing the Camaro from a performance standpoint in 1982 and never looked back. The 4th Gens started reclaiming some of the advantage but too little too late.

The Mustang has historically been faster and had better parts. I'd hate to see that happen again.

What a jerk I am....I must not have any teeth.

Uh Oh....I said Mustang....this is really gonna bring the tough guys out.

No teeth? A minute ago it was 3 teeth.

Quote:
North Augusta.....you aren't going to come knock my 4 teeth out are you?
So it's 4 teeth now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
Good read.

Thank you for not saying anything about a Z/28. Made your post a whole lot more mature. Not to say that it wasn't in the first place, I just can't stand the "WE NEED A Z28 OH MY GOD OR THE WORLD IS OGING TO END AHHAH NGFKNG"

Cheers
Good God in heaven it actually took 7 pages before someone said Z28. LOL
Old 05-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #165
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Quote:
I know why I never had kids now......at least this thread has made that clear.

Why? 'Cos you re-read your own posts?

But seriously, kids are great. You're gonna regret not having any when you're on your death bed.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #166
Z28RockStar

I'm notorious for getting threads locked, don't tempt me!

Old 05-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #167
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Epic post for Number 3.....nobody can top that.
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #168
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Maybe but I couldn't buy one when I bought my car....they aren't available and listed January 2012 as the release date. I want it now.

426hp is meh.....Mid 13 second ets are hardly anything to get super excited about....at last not in my opinion.
Tell me how many other vehicles in the price bracket of the SS make 426hp? Sounds to me like you want Chevrolet to turn the Camaro into something it's not. If you want more power buy a Corvette and if you don't like Corvettes well then stop whining and go find a different car or build your own. Believe it or not the world of Chevrolet does not revolve around you.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote