Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-30-2018, 02:27 PM   #29
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
but they don't want to charge anything for entry nor do they want to have real trophies or plaques, just some homemade junk. Like a license plate with spark plugs screwed into it for hanging your keys. Cool stuff. I'd really enjoy driving 80 miles in my $50,000 show car to come out and win some garbage. /rant
Hey, I could use a license plate with spark plugs screwed into it, lol. This was funny to read.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #30
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
Hey, I could use a license plate with spark plugs screwed into it, lol. This was funny to read.
I'm a bit of a hypocrite, I did buy a Champion Spark Plug tin sign with three spark plugs screwed in the bottom for that purpose. lol but as a trophy I'd be disappointed. If I were to win anything I'd want to see the place, year, and location on it. Plaques are really inexpensive to have made, there's no reason to not have some money allocated to have at least that. The one major car show I like to attend annually here (750+ cars) has a commemorative 3x3" tin plaque that is given out to nearly all participants. That show costs about $50 to attend, but includes meals for like three days for two people and a few other things. Totally worth it.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:56 PM   #31
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
it happens.i dont get upset since i dont go for another trophy...BUT the last show i went to the judges passed 6 cars without even looking at them,including mine.sure,it was put on by a corvette club but was an open show.one of the trophy winners was an overstickered grotty 2004 mustang.it was clean but had waaay too much going on in the form of horse decals,etc.but she knew the judges...wont be going back to that show next year.BTW i once took a best of show (late model) category with my 2015 RS,stock,with the hood closed.who knows what the judges were looking for,but my car was clean and the tires were shiny.take it with a grain of salt...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #32
Navigator

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Looks great. What's your trick for keeping those black wheels so clean? Mine would be brown by the time I got to the car show.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:13 PM   #33
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
Looks great. What's your trick for keeping those black wheels so clean? Mine would be brown by the time I got to the car show.
5 gallon bucket with gamma seal & grit guard, around 3 gallons of water with your choice of rinseless wash solution. Rinseless wash solution mixed up in a spray bottle for additional spray on lubrication. Several Korean microfiber towels (like these), a few smaller microfiber towels for the wheels only, and finally a couple waffle weave drying towels.

That would allow you to perform a rinseless wash onsite once you arrive. It's what I do whenever I have to travel out to a car show. Park, and give my car a rinseless wash for the day. It takes about 30-45 minutes to do my full vehicle. Bugs can slow you down. It's also nice to have a bug scrubber jersey pad. The Rag Company carries one that's pretty awesome.

If you look up the Garry Dean method it will give you a good idea on good habits for rinseless washing your car. IMO it's a must if you're traveling to a show. Don't waste time with a single microfiber towel and a spray bottle of detail spray. You'll introduce swirls without proper lubrication and overloaded dirty towels. It's what 90% of car guys do when they arrive to a show and you can really tell by looking at their "swirl city" paint. If they don't have tons of swirls, they're either taking care of their paint correctly or using a glaze product to hide them.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:32 PM   #34
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I've never judged a show, and when I go to a show, I keep the hood down because my engine compartment is not meticulously clean.

I go for the conversation and education.

Having said that, I find cosmetic add-ons to be cheesy wastes of money that do not enhance a car's worth in any way.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #35
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
Bingo

I agree, the point system with PROFESSIONAL judging is optimal if you show it. Otherwise, shoot the breeze with like minded enthusiasts, soak up some rays, take pride in the admiring gazes from the spectators, and consider your entry fee to be a donation to the fundraiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ding, ding, ding! No truer words. I enter them for the benefit of the charity, not my ego. Love shootin’ the breeze with people and accept kind compliments from show goers. If I win something, that’s cool but not the end all.
The main reason I take my 6th gen is for the “junior enthusiasts”. Kids relate to my car because it’s familiar. They have no nostalgia for the classics. I figure if my car gets a kid interested in cars, we’re on our way to a new generation of car buffs.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:29 PM   #36
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I got out of the car show game a long time ago. Its basically one big click that all vote for each other. If you're not a regular you're out no matter how great your car is. At least that is how it is around these parts.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:56 PM   #37
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
Go to the car show to have fun. #### the trophy or plaque. Go there, meet people, socialize with your friends (make new ones), and drink some beers on a nice day, with cars and friends. At least when you enter your car in the show, you get rock star parking.
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:07 PM   #38
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerch98 View Post
Go to the car show to have fun. #### the trophy or plaque. Go there, meet people, socialize with your friends (make new ones), and drink some beers on a nice day, with cars and friends. At least when you enter your car in the show, you get rock star parking.
this...although when i had an older classic car and belonged to a club i did have to judge a few.it gets tough if you have a bunch of really nice older iron,not modded with cheesy add ons from pep boys.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:23 PM   #39
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Nope, thought I was going to miss out once, just once, but then I won my class
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:02 PM   #40
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Go buy your own trophies and build you your own trophy room. Sounds like that will make you feel better. Just fake it till u make it.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:15 PM   #41
mako22

Drives: 2017 HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
Go buy your own trophies and build you your own trophy room. Sounds like that will make you feel better. Just fake it till u make it.
Wow. great idea.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:48 PM   #42
solobaric

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Yep, what everyone else has pretty much said. Go for fun, because unless you're part of the "good ole boys" club who only vote for each other, you probably won't win.