Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-07-2016, 07:07 AM   #435
AlexM

Drives: Used to be 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
The general consensus here on this thread is that the price is a MAJOR factor.
And then Bassment from Ontario posted he bought a 2016 2SS for the equivalent of $32,500 US dollars, in Canada. Without hassle. If this is true and GM will start to sell it here for this price combined with some ADs for public awareness, the sales WILL pick up IMO.
Many Gen 5 owners are not upgrading to Gen 6 now, looks like they need some extra motivation to do so (besides the obvious performance increase), again IMO.

BEE used to have
MyLink with NAV
Black 10 spoke FR41 wheels (ZL1 Replica)
Roto-fab CF CAI / Scoop and Washer Bottle Relocation KIT
Vmax yellow painted ported TB
Solo HF Cats with Kooks 2.5" catback
SLP Replica Spliter, CF Stripes and CF bowties
Hawk ceramic brake pads
OEM Strut Tower Brace - Yellow Plastidip
Range device - AFM Delete
Halo/DRL Harness (Halo/DRL on day and night while driving)
Engine Cover/Air Compressor Delete
AlexM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #436
HuJass

Drives: GM
I've said it before and I'll keep saying it.
It's the looks (as well as price).

Where the 5th gen looks more like a concept car, the 6th gen is too generic & soft looking.
2004 Colorado ZQ8
2002 Trans Am WS6 Collector Edition
1999 Blazer
1994 Grand Prix SE B4U
HuJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #437
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
The general consensus here on this thread is that the price is a MAJOR factor.
And then Bassment from Ontario posted he bought a 2016 2SS for the equivalent of $32,500 US dollars, in Canada. Without hassle. If this is true and GM will start to sell it here for this price combined with some ADs for public awareness, the sales WILL pick up IMO.
Many Gen 5 owners are not upgrading to Gen 6 now, looks like they need some extra motivation to do so (besides the obvious performance increase), again IMO.
Remember I got GM family pricing from my relative too though, plus an incentive.

But like you say, there's no deals and no ads, once those start happening if sales don't pick up then everyone can start worrying.
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #438
AlexM

Drives: Used to be 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
Remember I got GM family pricing from my relative too though, plus an incentive.

But like you say, there's no deals and no ads, once those start happening if sales don't pick up then everyone can start worrying.
Yes, thank you for the correction.

SWEEEEEET deal

Enjoy it!

BEE used to have
MyLink with NAV
Black 10 spoke FR41 wheels (ZL1 Replica)
Roto-fab CF CAI / Scoop and Washer Bottle Relocation KIT
Vmax yellow painted ported TB
Solo HF Cats with Kooks 2.5" catback
SLP Replica Spliter, CF Stripes and CF bowties
Hawk ceramic brake pads
OEM Strut Tower Brace - Yellow Plastidip
Range device - AFM Delete
Halo/DRL Harness (Halo/DRL on day and night while driving)
Engine Cover/Air Compressor Delete
AlexM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #439
BigCee66
I Design stuff ;)

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray 2SS Camaro
Turning a lot of the standard "fluff" into options would help decrease the price. IDK what anyone says but c'mon now? Does the lighting/technology package REALLY have to be standard on a 2SS? Could the RS appearance just be an option? Just a couple of thing like this is where I feel GM just went bonkers on.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #440
aestil

Drives: White
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuJass View Post
I've said it before and I'll keep saying it.
It's the looks (as well as price).

Where the 5th gen looks more like a concept car, the 6th gen is too generic & soft looking.
Looks are extremely subjective.

First off everyone in this thread keeps saying 'it doesn't look different enough and people can't tell it's an all new car'. It can't be that and ALSO what you are saying.

I think everyone ITT thinks they know more than they really do and without knowing the profit margins that GM makes on selling a Camaro it is impossible to say convincingly that 4k-5k sales of this car are not 'enough'.

If we start to see really significant incentives for the car then I think that will be a good indication that they aren't happy with the number of units sold. I suspect you would only see a price reduction on the Turbo 4 and V6 models though.
aestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #441
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestil View Post

First off everyone in this thread keeps saying 'it doesn't look different enough and people can't tell it's an all new car'. It can't be that and ALSO what you are saying.

I think everyone ITT thinks they know more than they really do and without knowing the profit margins that GM makes on selling a Camaro it is impossible to say convincingly that 4k-5k sales of this car are not 'enough'.

If we start to see really significant incentives for the car then I think that will be a good indication that they aren't happy with the number of units sold. I suspect you would only see a price reduction on the Turbo 4 and V6 models though.
Not only that, the price of the 2017s went up $600. If they were so concerned why would they even raise the price. They could have left it flat or maybe a $200 price increase. Or they could be raising MSRP to cover incentives or maybe sales are not as expected and they need more profit per car. Who knows, but it is one heck of a car though.

I waste all kinds of money on crap year to year but spending a 2-3k more for a car I truly enjoy is money well spent.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #442
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty35 View Post
How are the other cars built at the Lansing plant selling compared to the camaro?
I do not know. I can tell you the Camaro and the Corvette are the only Chevrolet cars I like and follow. Aside from that, the only other Chevrolet I'd consider is the Silverado if I were in the market for a truck. Most of their other offers are less than inspiring these days.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #443
nvrsatisfied

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestil View Post

Totally agree!
nvrsatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #444
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
Over the last several years, the V6 accounted for about 75% of sales. First year is always weighted more to the V8 but not after that. GM would be correct in expecting the V6 to sell in higher volume. The question mark this time is the 2.0T.
The V6 has always been the better seller, but it is due to one thing - price. Lots of people want to drive a Camaro, but not everyone can afford the higher MSRP, insurance costs and fuel costs of a V8. They are substantially more expensive and much more practical for most on a budget. Most Americans are on a budget, after all.

The problem is the 6th Gen V6 is premium priced. It's ridiculous. People aren't spending $35,000 for a V6 Camaro. In the 5th Gen, you could get a brand new 1LS V6 for $23,000, and they sold like hotcakes. Kids could afford that right out of college brand new, and with a 100,000 mile warranty. They had a cool looking car with plenty of power and reasonable technology with a great warranty and could justify the cost. And 99% of the public doesn't see a V6 Camaro, they just see a Camaro. COOL, you drive a Camaro!!

The cost to enter the Camaro these days is obscene.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #445
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
I agree with you but I do think the driving enthusiast market is dwindling. Like you mentioned in another post most buyers in general are more interested in getting all the latest tech than they best driving experience. That is why Honda can sell 35k civics per month, which is more than the monthly sales of Mustang, Challenger and Camaro combined.

That said, I bit the bullet last month and upgraded from my 2013 2SS 1LE to a 2016 2SS A8, MRC, NPP and NAV. I initially felt the new car was overpriced but I realized I was comparing it to my 2013 Camaro or a Mustang, which is the problem. The car really is much better than anything else in its class so what should it cost?
I don't agree with this because the Mustang and Challenger aren't feeling the heat. The Challenger has been a consistent seller and the Mustang is way, way up. Overall, auto sales may be down nationwide, but the Camaro is not in line with normal cyclical market contractions. You're seeing platform flight. Chevrolet's target audience can't afford this car.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #446
nvrsatisfied

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
I don't agree with this because the Mustang and Challenger aren't feeling the heat. The Challenger has been a consistent seller and the Mustang is way, way up. Overall, auto sales may be down nationwide, but the Camaro is not in line with normal cyclical market contractions. You're seeing platform flight. Chevrolet's target audience can't afford this car.
Maybe they built a different platform to target a different audience
nvrsatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #447
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
I agree with you that there is a stigma attached to the Camaro price. I couldn't really comprehend $47k MSRP and the name Camaro when I purchased last month. So, what I tried to do is forget what it is called and just compare the car to the other options in the market. It seemed to come out ahead in just about every category. Performance, Handling, ride quality with MRC, exhaust sound with NPP and all the upgraded interior and tech. So, in the end it was going to cost about 3-4K more than a loaded Mustang and about the same as a Challenger with Scat Pak. The Camaro was the clear winner for me.
Virtually nobody cares about these things. The general public wants leather, bluetooth, backup cameras, vehicle detection sensors, iPod compatibility and a good sound system. All these cars come with almost all these things stock. The Mustang is steamrolling the Camaro because the iteration of the Mustang with all these options is 20% less expensive than the Camaro. The Camaro jacks you for the 2SS package, and the 2SS package is a NEED for most of the public. Just look at the 5th Gen - almost all the SS's sold were 2SS's because the only people who want a 1SS are very specific, niche enthusiasts. Many 1SS's are custom orders. The Camaro needs to sell off the showroom floor, and the average 2SS price out there is what, $8,000 higher than a comparable Mustang?

That's insane.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #448
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrsatisfied View Post
Maybe they built a different platform to target a different audience
The goal of every car company is to build the platform that appeals to the most people. They want as many sales as possible, period. For stock prices to increase, revenues and profits must increase on an average year-over-year basis. The #1 mission of every business is to appease shareholders.

If the 6th Gen undersells the 5th Gen, that's a catastrophic error because it goes against the #1 mission of the company.