Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #15
'01LS1

Drives: 2003 Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
It is not uncommon to see a Corvette or two having dead battery issues at longer car shows (weekend) when they're nearby the car all day with the keys so it's always in "stand-by" mode waiting for you to get in fire it up and go. Runs the battery down. I remember when the C6s came out and a guy in my Camaro club got one. Brought it to a meeting. After the meeting he kept walking up to the car, then walking away, further away each time with a puzzled look on his face. I asked him what was wrong and he said the car wouldn't go to sleep like it should when the key fob isn't near the vehicle. Finally his wife pipes up "Well my keys are in my purse in the back of the car, is that why?"
Dohhhh! (So anybody could have hopped in a taken off without a hitch since her key fob was in the car!!!)
The first couple years of C6's you had to put the manual cars in reverse when parked to knock off all the electronic nannies. Have picked up a few at dealers(I transport cars) & if they have been left sitting for long periods the battery is dead. Was told by more than one dealer they have small alternators. Have used jump boxes on them, let them run for 20 minutes or so. But if you kill it, they will not start again w/o a jump box. Where as the average car with a decent battery would have. Most owners who in particular only drive them on weekends or summer only type scenarios buy a trickle charger.

I would not anticipate these sort of issues with the new Camaro.
'01LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #16
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Hence why there is usually a hidden key hole. But think dead key fob batteries will be more common.
Al O. explained that if the battery in the fob dies, there is a spot on the console to place the fob and it will receive a charge that will be enough to start the car.
Wouldn't hurt to carry a spare fob battery in the console though...

Best regards,

Elie
Old 05-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #17
aschex

Drives: Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
I was curious about this with C6 corvettes and there's a physical key in the fob and a keyhole by the license plate, you can unlock the truck (hatch on a vette, obviously) and crawl through. They'll probably have something similar for the camaro. Not sure what you do if you lock the fob in the car, as you should be able to lock the doors with you (and the fob, obviously) in the car. But maybe there's a system that makes it impossible. If the key fob dies I guess you'd have to replace the battery.
My dad owned a C6. Inside the trunk/hatch there is a lever to open the door. No need to "crawl through". Also, there is a slot to insert the fob in the glove box in order to start the car. But that was back in 2005, so I don't know what the tech is like today.

My 2012 Cruze has keyless entry and push button start. But there is keyhole in the door handle. Honestly I am not sure how the car would start if the fob died. I guess I could use the OnStar App on my iPhone to do it.
aschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:16 AM   #18
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
Al O. explained that if the battery in the fob dies, there is a spot on the console to place the fob and it will receive a charge that will be enough to start the car.
Wouldn't hurt to carry a spare fob battery in the console though...

Best regards,

Elie
Yep my BMW is the same. But you need a way to get in the car so would imagine a hidden key hole somewhere.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #19
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by '01LS1 View Post
I would not anticipate these sort of issues with the new Camaro.
With all those "Car sat for xdays and now battery is dead" threads on C5 for cars that don't even have keyless pushbutton start, I hope you're correct and they addressed all that plus the added complexity. (Obvioulsy I'm old school, just more stuff to go wrong on you).
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #20
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Chevys will honk at you and not let you lock the fob inside...I would bet on something pretty similar
Old 05-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #21
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
is this the first time youre experiencing a vehicle with keyless entry?
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #22
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by snymat68 View Post
So with the push button start and the keyless entry doors (there are no physical key holes anywhere on/in the car), wheat happens when...
a.) the fob battery is dead?
b.) the car battery is dead?
c.) you lock you fob in the car (if that's even possible with this system)?
a) You use the key. My car now has a spot in the glove box where you put the fob if its dead that will allow you to start the car.
b) You use the key to get in. Cars with keys don't start with dead batteries either.
c) Not possible. The car will not lock with a fob inside.

Every car that I've ever seen that uses a fob contains a key within the fob in case it dies.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #23
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
All covered but ATS drivers door has a trim cover that pops off to expose a lock cylinder. A key is in the fob.

Also note corvette is different as the door latch is in the body NOT the door
Old 05-18-2015, 02:48 PM   #24
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Keep in mind the Start button has been relocated to the glove box ( per the 1st recall) so people won't hit it with their knee
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #25
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Keep in mind the Start button has been relocated to the glove box ( per the 1st recall) so people won't hit it with their knee
I guess the 2nd recall is relocating it behind a small locking door that requires 2 keys to open? Because it could get bumped with the owners manual or something while in the glove box!
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #26
stmbtwilli

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS
My wifes last two Caddys have had only the fob and there have been zero problems.
There are mechancal solutions to dead fob batteries.
The only dificult part is deciding what lock and unlock sequences you want to program into the car.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #27
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmbtwilli View Post
My wifes last two Caddys have had only the fob and there have been zero problems.
There are mechancal solutions to dead fob batteries.
The only dificult part is deciding what lock and unlock sequences you want to program into the car.
For my family, all the doors unlock on the first unlock button press on my car, and all the doors unlock on the second button press of my wife's car.

I told her that I could change it to be just like mine, but we agreed that its in the best interest of her safety to only have her door open when the unlock button is pushed once.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #28
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SS6SPD View Post
I have a Chevy Cruze with the keyless entry. If you accidentally leave the key fob in the car, when you close the door it will honk back at you and will not let you lock the doors.
Same with my 2015 Malibu.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote