Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-16-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Question So, Push button start... But what about unlocking the doors?

Is that also automatic? What I mean is, with my 2014 Fusion, I just walk up to the car and touch the door handle to unlock it. Then there's a touch sensor on the outside for locking them when I leave the car. I never have to take my keys out of my pocket at all.

Will it work the same way on the Camaro? I mean I hope so... It'd be silly to have to get your keys out, unlock, then put them back in your pocket, then turn the car on.

Just curious if I've missed this somewhere.
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
Castrosua

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Im not a fan of this stuff thats hackable? I know my 14 has a remote that can be "hacked" I wish there was more low tech hipo stuff though. But then again, Im a guy that alternates daily driving with my camaro and a 73 Continental
1972 Lincoln Continental fully original down to paint
Castrosua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:03 PM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
There's a button on the handle.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:13 PM   #4
DDustiNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castrosua View Post
Im not a fan of this stuff thats hackable? I know my 14 has a remote that can be "hacked" I wish there was more low tech hipo stuff though. But then again, Im a guy that alternates daily driving with my camaro and a 73 Continental
Even regular keys and mechanical locks are "hackable"
Old 05-16-2015, 10:17 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
On my 2015 Malibu. the start button, the door locks and the trunk lock all work passively as long as the car's fob is within a certain number of inches.

Just need to have your keys/fob in your pocket. I'd assume the Camaro will work the same way.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:19 PM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
Is that also automatic? What I mean is, with my 2014 Fusion, I just walk up to the car and touch the door handle to unlock it. Then there's a touch sensor on the outside for locking them when I leave the car. I never have to take my keys out of my pocket at all.

Will it work the same way on the Camaro? I mean I hope so... It'd be silly to have to get your keys out, unlock, then put them back in your pocket, then turn the car on.

No dig on you man but this just seems to show a great example of how lazy we've gotten lol.

"You man I have to use the fob to open my doors???????!!! Awww MANN!!!!"

lol.

My opinion...I don't care. I love walking up to my car and pulling up the FOB and remote starting it.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:41 PM   #7
Castrosua

Quote:
Even regular keys and mechanical locks are "hackable"
True, but theyre so rare that who knows how to pick a lock? or use a hanger to pull open a door lock? And for that matter who knows how to hotwire an old car anymore? Well, only people that have old ones and do their own mechanica work lol
Old 05-16-2015, 10:43 PM   #8
Castrosua

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
No dig on you man but this just seems to show a great example of how lazy we've gotten lol.

lol.

My opinion...I don't care. I love walking up to my car and pulling up the FOB and remote starting it.
I preffer old school tech because it doesnt break as often as is easier to fix, but playing devils advocate, I was in a wreck and did worse off that my car, so many times i reach in my pocket and fumble with the fob, or hit the panic button while juggling with stuff in my good hand and hold my cane in the other. I wouldnt have thought about this if not for my injuries (just like how I used to be pissed of that handicapped spots had the hashmarks that took 3-4 spots for 2 cars, until I needed to open my door fully just to get out in rather awkward and undignifed ways )
Old 05-17-2015, 12:46 AM   #9
DDustiNN

Quote:

lol.

Hahaha no I hear ya. It's not so much laziness, I'm just saying that this new convenience would actually be more inconvenient without the door functionality.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:49 AM   #10
DDustiNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castrosua View Post
True, but theyre so rare that who knows how to pick a lock? or use a hanger to pull open a door lock? And for that matter who knows how to hotwire an old car anymore? Well, only people that have old ones and do their own mechanica work lol
But on the same note... How many people know how to hack a key fob?

I really think both methods are just as secure (or not secure) in their own way.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:50 AM   #11
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:

Cadillac has had the passive entry and push button start for years. I'm quite sure it will be the case here. My '06 STS had it, and I loved it.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #12
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Remember that thread on Camaro5 a few months ago about stolen Camaros. People had some kind of electronic box that would open the door almost instantly by hacking the RF signals. I worry about that becoming more widespread unless the car manufacturers can work out a fix. Maybe the new ones on these Camaros are more secure.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #13
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:

lol.

Would you buy a Camaro with no automatic windows? Same dig could be applied to automatic windows.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #14
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
Remember that thread on Camaro5 a few months ago about stolen Camaros. People had some kind of electronic box that would open the door almost instantly by hacking the RF signals. I worry about that becoming more widespread unless the car manufacturers can work out a fix. Maybe the new ones on these Camaros are more secure.
Who knows but keyless entry cars with push button start are childs plays for hackers in Europe. Thousands of BMWs have been hacked and stolen. Thousands....
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote