Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-17-2015, 09:26 PM   #1
V6CamaroRS

Drives: '14 V6 RS, DM Exhaust, Sunroof
Turbo 4 vs. V6 - V6 squeezed out?

First off, hello everyone! I'm new here. Hope you don't mind a new face.

When I saw this in the GM press release...

Quote:
Most efficient Camaro ever, with a new 2.0L turbo SAE-certified at 275 hp (205 kW) and 295 lb-ft (400 Nm) – and delivers more than 30 mpg on the highway (GM-estimated), and 0-60 mph acceleration well under 6 seconds
...my first reaction was, "How is that even possible?!? That's suggesting the Turbo 4 is faster than a 5th Gen V6!"

Thinking about it, it seems to come down to:

- More low-end torque
- Lower weight (probably a lot more than 200lbs difference for the smaller engine)

Ok. That makes sense. But now I'm feeling a bit concerned. With the V6 only getting a 12hp boost in combination with poorer weight savings, does that mean the V6 is going to be only a teeny bit faster than the Turbo 4? In which case, what will be the point?

What do you think? Is the Turbo 4 going to squeeze the V6 out?
Old 05-17-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
BigRedViking

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z 5.7L 2016 1SS M6 NGM
Send a message via Yahoo to BigRedViking
No, I think they have more potential for maximum power than the four cylinder. I also think that we will see a twin turbo version in a year or two.
BigRedViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I for one think the V6 is here to stay in this gen of Camaro. I love the V6 offering. You say they "only upped by 12HP"....but what do you want from a n/a V6? 335 HP is very good. It won't take much to push 350+ HP, and with a few traction/weight mods this V6 will be giving stock 2010 L99s a hard time. That's no pipe dream.

You aren't giving the V6 enough credit in this application. You should expect low 5 second 0 - 60 times and mid (13.5 - 13.7) 1/4 mile times....if not better.

The V6 will be quicker in all aspects....especially from a roll compared to the T4.

Now...tune and bolt ons, well all know what can be had from a turbo 4, but again your comparing a forced induction engine to a n/a engine.

I look at it this way.....Chevy is giving us more options, and appealing to a broader base. That's what I love, and while some might think buying a V6 over a T4 is a dumb move (aka...tune that turbo 4 and be faster) the V6 is where I will go. (unless I go for the SS lol)
Old 05-17-2015, 10:11 PM   #4
V6CamaroRS

Drives: '14 V6 RS, DM Exhaust, Sunroof
@KMPrenger - Fair enough. I'm still a bit concerned that the 0-60 times won't be all that different between them, but you make a lot of good points.

I guess part of it is that I'm not relishing getting my @$$ handed to me by a four banger. Theoretically all the Mustangs on the road could already out perform my V6. But it was close enough you at least had the chance to outdrive the things. Especially with that solid rear axle.

And with the loss of rear-seat space it looks like I'll have to wait until the kids are driving to upgrade.

(And then my wife is going to argue that she should get her Corvette finally. She'd be right, but gosh darn it! I like Camaros!)

Quote:
I also think that we will see a twin turbo version in a year or two.
@BigRedViking - Now that's something I could get behind...

...the wheel of!
Old 05-17-2015, 10:18 PM   #5
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
As with the EB Mustang..turbo 4's have great low end, but tend to run out of breath past about 5,500 RPM.

I think you'll find the V6 Camaro is going to do just fine this generation, especially with it being significantly lighter.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote