Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 07-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
CyberGreyConvertible
Dunder Mifflin Inc.

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Thinking about switching to a Charger - opinions?

Hey, guys. I've been considering trading for a 2014 Dodge Charger SXT Plus with AWD; I miss having 4 doors and real trunk space (I play hockey and the room in the Camaro seems to be dwindling over time). My question to anybody who has experience with Chargers of the 2011-2014 generation; do you think the trade's worth it? I'm obviously trading down in the sense that I'm losing the V8 and convertible, but the Pentastar has some power to it and the AWD is extremely appealing as I live in PA. I think the Camaro looks better at the moment, but I plan on tinting the windows and getting black wheels for the Charger (it's also black), which will drastically improve the looks. I'm just worried that I'll end up missing the looks of the Camaro. I just don't want to regret the trade-in, that's all. Anybody else have any experience with a similar trade-in scenario and can offer me any advice?

Thanks for any and all the advice, guys!
CyberGreyConvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Ultimately it's your choice. Personally I wouldn't pay much for a Chrysler. I have owned several through the years and they all end up with pretty severe engine/trans/brake problems, not to mention interior build it awful The good news is parts are usually pretty cheap, you'll just change them more often. Ultimately you need to figure out what you are willing to put up with. I would suggest heading on over to a charger forum and do a little browsing through their "need help" section to get an idea of what is common on them.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #3
CyberGreyConvertible
Dunder Mifflin Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Ultimately it's your choice. Personally I wouldn't pay much for a Chrysler. I have owned several through the years and they all end up with pretty severe engine/trans/brake problems, not to mention interior build it awful The good news is parts are usually pretty cheap, you'll just change them more often. Ultimately you need to figure out what you are willing to put up with. I would suggest heading on over to a charger forum and do a little browsing through their "need help" section to get an idea of what is common on them.
Yeah, that's the problem I'm having. I'm pretty indecisive, especially when it comes to cars. I'm looking for a lower-mileage one, so I'm hoping to get at least 100,000 out of it without significant issues. The main problem is whether or not I'll end up missing the Camaro too much..
Old 07-03-2017, 05:33 PM   #4
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGreyConvertible View Post
Yeah, that's the problem I'm having. I'm pretty indecisive, especially when it comes to cars. I'm looking for a lower-mileage one, so I'm hoping to get at least 100,000 out of it without significant issues. The main problem is whether or not I'll end up missing the Camaro too much..
See about renting one that is close to what you want. Yeah it will be new and feel great, but it will give you an ok baseline as to where they start and give you an idea what to expect when things start wearing out. I don't really care for the way Chryslers feel when driving, but that is subjective. Last one I drove was a 13 SRT-8 Challenger. Sure it was pretty quick, but it felt like it was 2 tons heavier than my Camaro, handled poorly and overall just didn't feel like it was up to snuff for a modern car in the ride quality or handling department. I'm not anti-Chrysler, in fact I just bought my 4th neon for a daily commuter. They are junk, but parts are ridiculously cheap for them and I work at a Chevy dealership so I can work on it on my Saturdays when it breaks.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:33 PM   #5
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
As someone who deals with Chargers on a regular basis...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:39 PM   #6
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS L99
Fenwick +1!!

Yes, you will miss the looks of the Camaro, and everything else too.

Besides, you got a convertible - drop the top and stack your stuff higher. Space problem solved
PERFORMANCE: ColdAirInductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, Cordes Performance Racing Ported TB/IM/Custom VVT Cam, WFO Milled Heads, Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT/3" HFCs, JBA 3" Comp. Cat-Back, Taylor 10.4mm Plug Wires, Tim King Performance Stage 3 6L80, Circle D Billet 3600 Stall, Nic D ECM/TCM Tune, - 458rwhp/413rwtq (prior to PIM), Forgestar F14 (F)18" / (R)17" Rims.

SUSPENSION: Z/28 Rear UCA Bushings, Carlyle Racing LCA/TA, BMR Adj. Toe Rods/Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar, Justice Pete Castor Locks/Radius Rod Inserts, Pegasus Billet Rear Cradle Bushings, Mickey Thompson Street SS II 305/45/17 tires.
PostNup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
I sold my 2SS and got a 13 Charger SRT8. The Charger was nice, but was just a fast sedan in the end. It felt like driving a boat. The Camaro is an experience you won't get from a Charger. The Camaro looks like a beast while the Charger looks like a tame sedan to me.

Unfortunately you could not tune the transmission like you can the Camaro. I had to buy a device called the Transformer that you hardwire in to firm up the shift points which were weak in the stock configuration.

If you plan on modding you also won't find the same great community you will here. You can see I'm back to a Camaro again.

In the end it really depends on your needs. The Camaro is an awesome car, but it is lacking in space and storage if that's what you need.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8

Last edited by SSteven; 07-03-2017 at 08:09 PM.
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:10 PM   #8
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Have you considered an Im Pa La?
Old 07-03-2017, 09:05 PM   #9
CyberGreyConvertible
Dunder Mifflin Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
As someone who deals with Chargers on a regular basis...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE.
Can I ask why? Just wondering what specifically you dislike about them !
Old 07-03-2017, 09:08 PM   #10
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS L99
How about a used Chevy SS if you need 4 doors. Same drivetrain as us, mostly
PERFORMANCE: ColdAirInductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, Cordes Performance Racing Ported TB/IM/Custom VVT Cam, WFO Milled Heads, Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT/3" HFCs, JBA 3" Comp. Cat-Back, Taylor 10.4mm Plug Wires, Tim King Performance Stage 3 6L80, Circle D Billet 3600 Stall, Nic D ECM/TCM Tune, - 458rwhp/413rwtq (prior to PIM), Forgestar F14 (F)18" / (R)17" Rims.

SUSPENSION: Z/28 Rear UCA Bushings, Carlyle Racing LCA/TA, BMR Adj. Toe Rods/Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar, Justice Pete Castor Locks/Radius Rod Inserts, Pegasus Billet Rear Cradle Bushings, Mickey Thompson Street SS II 305/45/17 tires.
PostNup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #11
CyberGreyConvertible
Dunder Mifflin Inc.

I honestly feel like I'm just tired of the Camaro in general, you know? I've had one for nearly 5 years now, it just doesn't seem to do it for me anymore. Anybody else ever get the same feeling?
Old 07-03-2017, 09:27 PM   #12
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGreyConvertible View Post
Can I ask why? Just wondering what specifically you dislike about them !
Of course your mileage will vary, but we constantly have issues with our Chargers. Granted they're driven rough as patrol cars but some of the stuff that goes bad on them is just ridiculous.

Plus the interior is laughably cramped for a full size sedan. Getting prisoners in and out of the backseat with a cage is a nightmare.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:17 PM   #13
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I wouldn't do it. I'd drive a 4 cylinder Malibu before I drove a Charger and I like Dodge much better than fords.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:22 PM   #14
CyberGreyConvertible
Dunder Mifflin Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
I wouldn't do it. I'd drive a 4 cylinder Malibu before I drove a Charger and I like Dodge much better than fords.
Is there a specific reason why?