Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #1
asnutter77

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS L99
under the hood cleaning

What does everyone use when detailing everything under the hood?
asnutter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #2
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Cool Engine
Pressure washer
Adam's All Purpose Cleaner
Every different size and shape brush I can find
Dried with Master Blaster
Close hood and let idle for 10 minutes or so
Dress with Adam's VRT and In & Out Spray.

Last edited by BRZN; 11-09-2016 at 09:05 AM.
BRZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
O.F.

Drives: 2015 BLK/BLK 2SS/RS MN6
Spray everything good with Simple Green. Let it sit for a few minutes. Give the big surfaces a wipe. Hose down staying away from electrical stuff. Should look like brandy new again.
O.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
This is what we used back when showing our Impala SS. This is for a decent engine to begin with so might be your go-to after elbow grease is applied for horribly soiled areas. You can insert your favorite dressing for where Armor-All is referenced. It will work. Trust me. Simple Green is ok for greasy messes, but can discolor raw aluminum. Windex is safer. Also, don't get vigorous with a pressure washer. You run a risk of pushing water past seals or tape that is there to attempt to keep larger particles out...not pressurized water.

Engine Cleaning/Detailing

1) On a hot/warm engine, spray the entire engine compartment down with Windex.
Close the hood and wait @ 3-5 minutes.

2) Lift the hood and mist the engine compartment with water. Now spray
the entire area with Armor All. Close the hood and again wait 3-5 minutes.

3) Repeat the Windex and Armor All application again. Now, after the second
coat of Armor All, close up the engine compartment and wash and detail
the exterior of your car.

4)When you are finished, open the hood and wipe down any excess Armor All.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #5
Gayton81

Drives: 2012 2SSRS
Easily done with Chemical Guys Grime Reaper, let set then spray again and clean with brushes. After that, spray Chemical Guys Black on Black from the aerosol can...cleans easy and looks show ready and not greasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2016, 02:34 PM   #6
mudwheel57
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 camaro 2LS
I don't get it dirty.
mudwheel57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:06 PM   #7
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...fessional.html

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #8
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F. View Post
Spray everything good with Simple Green. Let it sit for a few minutes. Give the big surfaces a wipe. Hose down staying away from electrical stuff. Should look like brandy new again.
Simple greens all you need along with a small soft paint brush. Just spray the
cleaner around the outer areas including the radiator support, shock towers,
air cleaner, etc and brush those areas lightly. After a few minutes rinse with a
fine spray. I always stay away from the engine but just wipe off the overspray.
I do this once a year or so and it still looks near new 7 years later.
Recent photo:
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2016, 09:25 PM   #9
1FAST SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Adam's all purpose cleaner for general cleaning. I use in and out spray for plastics under the hood.

CAI Cold Air Induction, ADM Race Scoop, Apex Washer Bottle Kit, Vengeance Racing Kaotic Cam, DOD/VVT delete and LS3 conversion, American Racing LT Headers, American Racing Headers Off Road pipes, Borla S-Type Catback, FTI Billet Triple Disk 3600 rpm Torque Converter, DSS Aluminium Drive Shaft, AAC Plasma DRL's, Showstopper LED Sidemarkers,Carbon FIber Bow Ties, 35% Window Tint, Llyod's Floor Mats, JBL MS-8 Sound Processor, 2 Alpine PDX-1.600, Alpine PDX-4.100, JL Audio C5-650, JL Audio C5-650x, Alpine T10 Type R Shallow Mount, Stinger Dry Cell Battery
1FAST SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #10
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
Personally, I would NOT use a pressure washer on your engine bay, even a hose for that matter.

Soft bristle brushes, a diluted degreaser and light agitating after a 10 minute soak.

After I remove heavy dirt, I use 303 aerospace cleaner and protectant for a matte finish.

With newer cars, there are far too many small clips and plugs that could come loose with that kind of force. Not to mention you're opening up the doors for liability if you do something wrong and cannot fix it. Play it safe and take more time to do a better job.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:50 AM   #11
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
I agree not to use a pressure washer or hose in cars from the 1980's when computer's were first coming into play under the hood. Today's vehicles have water tight connectors and are fine as long as you use some common sense. All the pictures in post #2 above were cleaned with a pressure washer except the orange GTO with absolutely no problems.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:22 AM   #12
Maiden69

Drives: 2020 Orange Crush 1SS/1LE
Pressure washer is not the problem... when you have issues is when it becomes an operator error. Pressure washer is a tool that can be misused. If you have an electric washer (2000psi or less) it will be very unlikely that you will do any damage to anything under the hood other than the hood heat insulation. With the gas powered, yes you need to be careful. There is no need to have the nozzle less than 1' from any surface, if there is so much gunk that you see the need to do so, you need to get the degreaser a brush and some elbow grease and work it out.

I used everything under the rainbow, Simple Green diluted 1/1 works great on a semi clean engine. Adams APC is awesome, as a lot of other APC out there. Go to youtube, there are plenty of videos comparing different brands.

For detailing after wash, I am using Adams VRT as well, I like the In and Out spray, but I don't like that it is not as durable as the VRT. Other option is PERL.
Maiden69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #13
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Here is some good info for you.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/288...what-to-cover/

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:33 AM   #14
HammerZL1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Aha, this thread just reminded me I need some In-N-Out Spray, I've got 1/2 a can left. Adams has it on sale right now and with the discount code even better. I've been using it for over 10 years now and there really isn't anything better for under the hood, weather strips inside and out, black trim pieces and hard to reach areas. makes everything look new again. Everything else I've tried just isn't right, too shiny or wet looking. It wipes off surrounding areas very easy. Just love this stuff. I remember when Adam was having some problems making it environmentally friendly and I couldn't get any for awhile. I know I had In-N-Out Spray withdrawals, LOL. I always try to have some around now.
HammerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote