Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #197
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I don't get it. What is so bad about offering a four pot turbo? It would open up the car for more buyers and can easily offer V6 performance. And get better mileage. As long as you can still buy a 6 or 8 if that's what you want. And if that turbo 4 has a strong bottom end it can cheaply be modified to keep up with a stock V8.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #198
OperativeXIV

Drives: 2012 Summit White 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I don't get it. What is so bad about offering a four pot turbo? It would open up the car for more buyers and can easily offer V6 performance. And get better mileage. As long as you can still buy a 6 or 8 if that's what you want. And if that turbo 4 has a strong bottom end it can cheaply be modified to keep up with a stock V8.
I think that's the thing that is bugging a lot of people, it's that a Turbo 4 in a muscle car is kind of the beginning of the end of the big, fun V8.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #199
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OperativeXIV View Post
I think that's the thing that is bugging a lot of people, it's that a Turbo 4 in a muscle car is kind of the beginning of the end of the big, fun V8.
...and that's the rub. And it was vowed they <GM> , I can't recall the spokesperson who said it, but it was said it was not gonna happen under his watch.... But, look at the price break bewteen old and new high performance, and the monetary reach ordinary consumers have to accomplish in order to gain it. The new technology, race inspired platforms, DI motors and the accoutriments to go along with it...we have entered a new stratosphere. HP has arrived, to the likes of the haves....not the have not.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #200
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OperativeXIV View Post
GM will never take away the big, fun V8 - they know what the DNA of the Camaro is. If you're that worried about it, though, start writing your congress men and women and start complaining about the irresponsible MPG mandates they're putting on the OEMs.

They used to only mandate that an OEM's entire fleet meets a certain MPG average, now they're saying all of the models of an individual car must meet an average MPG based on the vehicle's footprint (wheelbase, weight, etc). What this translates to is that if they bring out a lower MPG big healthy v8 like we want, they have to balance it out with engines which sip gas and bring the average up.

Don't like it? Write your government and complain. It's out of the OEM's control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...and that's the rub. And it was vowed they <GM> , I can't recall the spokesperson who said it, but it was said it was not gonna happen under his watch....
And it has since been said that Al O, the spokesperson you're thinking of, was misquoted by the journalist and that's not what he said.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:51 PM   #201
OldScoolCamaro

^, that may be true comrade...but follow the trend....the big dogs are beyond the reach of ordinary consumers, and, as of late they will forever escalate beyond that. Theres a distinct escalation in price with the increased level of R&D, technology, engineering and performance. The game has been upped, it's going to cost uber bucks to play going forward from this year onward. For whatever the reason one chooses to argue. The ZL1 was a steal at base 54,995.00. And the 1LE was even a better bargain. Spec HP rides are now riding into the sunset....unless you are one of the fortunate few to have expendable income.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:29 PM   #202
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
With the Ford 2015 Mustang already producing the 2.3L/300hp(est)/300-Lb-ft(est), turbo DOHC 16 valve I-4 as an engine option, and a base (est) price of $24,000, Feb 2014 Motortrend issue, I can't imagine GM missing out on a niche in the market. Should hit dealerships what maybe as early as August this year. I'd bet GM doesn't want to miss out on what will look very attractive to the younger market share.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #203
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
With the Ford 2015 Mustang already producing the 2.3L/300hp(est)/300-Lb-ft(est), turbo DOHC 16 valve I-4 as an engine option, and a base (est) price of $24,000, Feb 2014 Motortrend issue, I can't imagine GM missing out on a niche in the market. Should hit dealerships what maybe as early as August this year. I'd bet GM doesn't want to miss out on what will look very attractive to the younger market share.
...and there lies the rub... That was the downfall of the Gen 4 Camaro, and it's demise to extinction. And equally I ask..could history repeat itself once again?
Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #204
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Thats some good specs if you ask me. do a big turbo upgrade with bolt-ons and your easily in the 400whp club.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #205
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...and there lies the rub... That was the downfall of the Gen 4 Camaro, and it's demise to extinction. And equally I ask..could history repeat itself once again?
I wouldn't compare a Camaro or any Chevrolet from back then to what we have today. GM has engineered masterpieces worthy of all their names—SS, 1LE, ZL1, and of course Z/28. Do you really expect them to make the same masterpieces and then design a garbage heap with a 4-banger? You'd be both wrong and disappointingly ignorant to think that GM hasn't really thought out this possible outcome.

V8 guys, over here—why do you care? You guys are constantly posting threads about how real enthusiasts don't drive anything with less cylinders.

Everyone else, read this—what else are you going to drive? If you want an affordable performance car, you're settling already. You can't have Ferrari power and styling on a Malibu budget. Welcome to Camaro. This is where you buy a really nice car with a 300-horsepower V6 or possibly force-fed 4-cylinder that gives you satisfactory torque and beats competitors. Would you rather drive a 370Z? How does a Hyundai Genesis sound? No, if it were me looking at a new $25k performance car, it would be a Camaro, and if the Alpha platform, which is made for a 4-cylinder, delivers a lightweight performer with the Camaro name, I'll take it.

But the last time, it sucked—yes, it did. It isn't the '80s anymore. We've had advances since then, like fuel injection and heated seats. Stop pretending a fast 4-cylinder is the end of the world. If anything, this assures the future of the Camaro in a world hostile to V8s. Imagine if we could get 500 hp out of a turbo V6 and 400 hp out of a turbo I4. That day is coming very soon, and the technology may already be here. Nissan just announced a 3-cylinder—yes, a freaking 3-cylinder—with 400 ponies that's light enough to carry. Perhaps we should embrace GM's pioneering mentality with open arms and allow them to expand the Camaro name.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #206
OldScoolCamaro

...my point is Blur...., playing off Normagene's post...is that the Mustang offered a cheaper, lower priced entry level priced ride back then to the Camaro. They sold more cars, the Camaro's cost too much and sold to a more income established older crowd than their counterpoint. It's been well documented, and that's what killed off the Camaro..besides the lack of upgrades and status quo Corporate thinking. The per capital income level and age of the buyers were widely seperate.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #207
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I wouldn't compare a Camaro or any Chevrolet from back then to what we have today. GM has engineered masterpieces worthy of all their names—SS, 1LE, ZL1, and of course Z/28. Do you really expect them to make the same masterpieces and then design a garbage heap with a 4-banger? You'd be both wrong and disappointingly ignorant to think that GM hasn't really thought out this possible outcome.

V8 guys, over here—why do you care? You guys are constantly posting threads about how real enthusiasts don't drive anything with less cylinders.

Everyone else, read this—what else are you going to drive? If you want an affordable performance car, you're settling already. You can't have Ferrari power and styling on a Malibu budget. Welcome to Camaro. This is where you buy a really nice car with a 300-horsepower V6 or possibly force-fed 4-cylinder that gives you satisfactory torque and beats competitors. Would you rather drive a 370Z? How does a Hyundai Genesis sound? No, if it were me looking at a new $25k performance car, it would be a Camaro, and if the Alpha platform, which is made for a 4-cylinder, delivers a lightweight performer with the Camaro name, I'll take it.

But the last time, it sucked—yes, it did. It isn't the '80s anymore. We've had advances since then, like fuel injection and heated seats. Stop pretending a fast 4-cylinder is the end of the world. If anything, this assures the future of the Camaro in a world hostile to V8s. Imagine if we could get 500 hp out of a turbo V6 and 400 hp out of a turbo I4. That day is coming very soon, and the technology may already be here. Nissan just announced a 3-cylinder—yes, a freaking 3-cylinder—with 400 ponies that's light enough to carry. Perhaps we should embrace GM's pioneering mentality with open arms and allow them to expand the Camaro name.

To those that hate the idea of a turbo 4 in a Camaro...Guess what? It's not meant to appeal to you,it's meant to appeal to people that have never even considered buying a Camaro before. You will still have a choice of Camaros with at least one V8 and as today with several HP ratings. I am also sure for us that prefer a V6 it will still be available too.
More choices mean more potential buyers. The more potential buyers will mean the car will remain profitable and in the Chevy lineup for a long time.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #208
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:

Pretty much this!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #209
OldScoolCamaro

...you can pack alot of punch into 4 or 6 cyl engine with turbo's. They have been running race cars on sanctioned tracks for eons with great success. Times are a changing. Deep wallets will get the V8 power from here onward.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #210
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
Quote:

This has been going on for ages, some people are too closed minded to accept it. my turbo cobalt would run laps around my V6 and its a 2.0L 4 banger and it gets better gas mileage. i loved the look on peoples faces when i beat them in their V8. im not hating at all but power is power no matter what the size of the motor. i love a V8, i have noting against it and the people who drive them. im just all about cars, i don't care what a person drives if he/she is all about cars then we cool.

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 4 cylinder camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro forum, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 4 cylinder, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation, new camaro