Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-10-2019, 02:48 AM   #1
irish108

Drives: chevrolet camaro
2010 SS fog light

My driver side fog light burns when headlights are off but will go out when headlights are on. I replaced the bulb and the new bulb is doing the same thing. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be? I'm new to the new Gens and have a heap of learning to do. Thanks fellows or Gals.
irish108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:39 AM   #2
Gordy87

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
The fog lights act as the Daytime Running Lights (DRL). Or at least on mine they did until I installed the bypass harness to make them work as Fog Lights. Is your car an RS or have the factory fog light control by the steering wheel?
Gordy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
As he said the Common Trick is to run a jumper from one side of the sidemarker light over to connect with the power side of the DRL's for many who do mods to the lighting , places like gen5diy.com have a press on "harness" jumper wire sets T TAP which are a "simple splice", or one can do themselves with the right gauge of wire a braid splice to it to make it good; and also a wire can come loose with the press in tap splice....
A press in can come loose it did on me eventually more than once...

Also theres also available the harness for jumping off a couple wires to make under the dash lights also from under the passengers kick panel... for the LEDs people like and to see your feet... maybe even Phastek may , or others sell the simple two tap wires with instructions; or you can view the instructions online maybe and simply spice your own wire in as I did …….

For one you see the unintended effects of the jumper wire going from the sidemarker is it makes the halos stay on during the day with no head lights due to feedback it works with the drls; ...……….also along with the drls staying on for fogs when the lights are on as the main effect of the jumper wire splice.

And some nice 13w LEDs kick butt for fogs. I use then have for years..... at many varied vendors...... The halos staying on can be overcome with a resistor or some module in the circuit by why...? I like the halo on and fogs ….. Most do! and leave it with the halos............

If made with stock non separately controlled by option true fogs lights with a dedicated stock switch you would be able to keep the drls as fogs... other than that you would have to be cross wired to make the one side even stay on with its wiring on that side;..

.…………..... so you may want to check to see if someone ran a jumper/harness doing a splice in from the side markers to the DRLs by just looking it should be simply a wire ran between them most likely not attached to the sheathing wire covering but outside the harness because its just patch in that's PITA in one way to do because you have to remove the side markers to really do it good easily and the wire shoud be then taped over anyway to avoid water on t tap if using one also just as with any splice it should be made water proof also and well connected with electrical tape.

STOCK YOU SHOULD HAVE THE DRLS OUT WITH THE HEADLIGHTS ON AND IF YOU HAVE ONE THAT STAYS ON THAT WOULD MAKE ONE THINK ITS BEEN ALTERED SO BE SURE IF BOTH BEHAVE THE SAME WITH YOUR DRLS OR MAYBE THE OTHER SIDE IS ????? GOOD LUCK and that's my ramble.... If you have one side staying on with the drls different than the other check the drls connection and replug in or replace the stock with a good 13w LED and check the wiring...… best advice. and look to see if a short has occurred from a loose T Tap...….

Last edited by christianchevell; 04-10-2019 at 06:01 PM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:04 AM   #4
irish108

Thanks guys. I've only had this car for 3 weeks. So I really haven't had a chance to take a close look yet.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #5
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish108 View Post
Thanks guys. I've only had this car for 3 weeks. So I really haven't had a chance to take a close look yet.
They are DRL (Daytime Running Lights) for safety reasons, and don't really put out enough light to be considered a "fog light".
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I think you need to replace the passenger side bulb.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Sounds like there were modifications made.

What did the car start out as, RS, or non-RS? If there's a foglight button in the center of the headlight dial, then non-RS and the fogs are supposed to operate independently. If no button, then RS and the fogs were originally the DRLs.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:25 AM   #8
irish108

OK. I'll try replacing passenger side bulb as well since I ordered 2 bulbs anyway. I'll also be looking for any Mods too. Thanks Guys

Last edited by irish108; 04-12-2019 at 03:33 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:44 PM   #9
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
I think you need to replace the passenger side bulb.
Lol
Old 05-29-2019, 08:08 AM   #10
irish108

I know it's been over a month since I posted this for suggestions, but I finally took the time to trouble shoot based on them. It was simply a loose harness connection. I think it is one of those aftermarket harnesses that allows the DRL's to burn while headlights are on. So basically the DRL's burn full time. It had not come completely apart but was not clicked in all the way. Once I did that, problem solved. Thanks fellows.