Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
shan1997

Drives: 2013 Red Hot Camaro
Take my car in for repairs and this is how the dealership return it to me!!

I was involved in an accident about 1 month ago. The other party accepted responsibility for making an improper turn causing the accident and her insurance company paid for repairs. I took it to my place of choice( my dealtership where I brought the car).Afte tht repairs( 9 day), I went to pick up my car and as anyone would do, looked it over to make sure all was in order and I found a blemish on the driver side edge of bumper( by the tire) i.e. Picture #1 below

I ask what happened and they were not clear on the cause of the blemish but advised me to bring it back in 2 days to have it "sanded and repainted". Asked how long this would take and body shop guy said 15 minutes. I should have known that wouldn't be the case. I take it up to the dealership and they attempt to repair in 15-20 minutes and I was left with a patch up job i.e Picture #2 below It looked better than the original damage but nowhere close to what it should be, Close up pics still revealed damage/blemish

The repair still was not acceptable to me. I was basing the way it should look to same area on the passenger ( non-damaged side) and the sides didn't match and paint job was rushed. I let them know I wanted it fixed correctly. At this point I thought only way to match it on both sides was to get a total replacement of the bumper even though it was that one area they couldn't seem to get right. Anyway! I take it back to the dealership for the second time( and they keep it a week). I go to pick it up and again check it out to make sure sides matched and I was happy with the repair. I look close and as you can see in Picture #3 there is a chip at the top where the two pieces meet. I again ask what happened and they said looks like chipped paint. They said they could use a paint stick and just go over the part that looked un-painted. I asked if I were to wash my car in the future, would it rub or come off and he said no. I guess we will see about that. I could have said fix it again but by this time, I am frustrated because they can't seem to get that one side right and i had been without my car the first time for 9 days and then most recently 7 days. I had to pay for the rental car because the girl's insurance wouldn't cover it. Second time, the dealership foot the bill because it was their repairs that needed to be made. I guess I can't quite understand why it would have been returned to me in the shape it was in the first place and why they did a rush job trying to fix what was damaged. And why they don't check the quality of their work. You trust your dealership to do you right and not be disappointed.

Photo #4 is after he touched it up with some paint. I'm still not totally convinced it matches the other side perfectly and even asked to have a whole new bottom portion of the bumper to ensure it matched. But they would not. The last photo #5 below is what it looked like on the non-damaged side. This was my point of comparison. To the naked eye, it probable looks like it matches but I know what it should look like and that bothered me. If you all were comparing photo #4( final product after being returned to me damaged and 2 repairs later) and #5( non-damaged passenger side ) would you say this is good as it's going to get?? BTW I'm at the store today and look at what looks like a streak on my trunk. I try to wipe it off and its a long, deep scratch that was not there before I took it in twice to be repaired, smh. I guess if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all. Didn't think to look back there, work done was on the front end. I used the trusty touch up paint they used and gave me after to try to cover it up.

Bottom-line, you trust your dealership to make sure necessary repairs are made and that it's done in a timely manner with best cosmetic result. I don't understand what it was returned to me damaged and then after the second time having it repaired it still was not quality work done ( chipped paint). The shop manager said, man you have a good eye. Uhhh,no... anyone with eyes could see the blemishes and chipped paint. Whatever happened to customer satisfaction. Wasn't trying to be difficult but I just wanted my car returned to me like it was before the accident and wanted sides to match. Don't think I was asking for too much. Very disappointed with my dealership
Attached Images

shan1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Wow that looked bad!
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
thats some of the worst body work i've seen, i would make them do it over
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
shan1997

Photo #4 is after two repairs. Not sure what else they can do to make it look better other than to start all over which they are not willing to do. I figure the repairs they did were paid for my the other person's insurance and If they were to totally replace it would be out of their pocket and they realize that. They would rather keep doing patch up jobs to make it match and correct original damage they did
Old 05-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
what you need to do is take your car to a reputable body shop and have them quote to fix their stupidity, take the quote back to them and say pay up or fix it right
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
One thing my insurance company has told me is to have the other insurance company issue the check made out to both the body shop and you, never sign anything until the repairs are done to your satisfaction. It's up to them to repair it correctly. Without your signature on the check they don't get paid, and if they forge your name on the check then you have them by the balls....
Old 05-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
jravenfan

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic
I personally wouldn't take my car to the dealer for body work, I'm with bw26ss, take it get an estimate and give them the bill.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Wow that's bad...
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I would not accept that under any circumstances. Take it to another reputable body shop and have the dealer pay for the repairs. There is no way they are entitled to keep any portion of what you paid them for that quality (or lack thereof) of work.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
shan1997

@Angrybird12 Wish I had known that. In this case the other insurance company send me a check for the estimate via mail then supplemental work needed to be done once car was at the shop. The body shop had to contact insurance company and they sent the other check to them.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #11
shan1997

So what I am hearing is in the future, don't take your car to dealership for body work.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #12
kejobe

Drives: Wife - '13 200S. Me - '03 325I
Looks like the bumper hit the floor on that corner when it was going to be put on. The last repair is up to you as to whether or not it is acceptable.

BUT, if you look at the fenders, the "repaired" one has too much orange peel (the rough/wavy look). IMO, that needs to be addressed.

Personally, I would not accept the repairs as it is now. The bumper may be ok after the orange peel is sanded and buffed out.
kejobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
wtcadman

Drives: 2013 black 2lt with rs package
I'm in georgia. What dealership is this so I make sure I never go there?
wtcadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #14
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shan1997 View Post
So what I am hearing is in the future, don't take your car to dealership for body work.
You can get shoddy work done anywhere. Believe me I know from personal experience. I had one leave parts off, one put emblems back on in the wrong place, overspray on the rubber and windows... People seem not to take pride in their work much any more, especially doing insurance claims.