Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #155
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
You believe everything that motortrend tells you?

What if they said that pigs fly?

Edit: Look at the graph on page 17 of the link you posted Mr. Tin. All i can say is LOL.

Last edited by mcdoogle6969; 09-13-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #156
Susantroy1
To All Veterans

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Inferno Orange
Did you reallllllly think 400-425 hp @ crank is going to give you Violently quick acceleration??? oh, and did you realllllly think that this Camaro was going to handle like a Vette? common man If you bought it thinking you where going to see the same type of performance for 20-30 K less than a Vette, you really are naive. Kinda like buying a Harley V Rod thinking it is going to perform like a Hayabusa
Old 09-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #157
RPO F55

Drives: 2005 C6 Corvette
[QUOTE=CoolestCamaro873;889084]My first car was suppossed to be a '03 Camaro SS, but it never came out because the first time GM dropped the ball on the Camaro was '02 and it ceased to exist by the time I purchased a car! Please I happen to be a well educated person in econmics and government.

In 2002, the F-body sales were at an all time low for that generation and sitting in a plant that needed to run 100k plus to be profitable. Guess you need to blow the dust off the economics books you read if that actually surprised you! Pretty simple economics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolestCamaro873 View Post
It's def broken in as it has almost 1200 miles on it.
Well known fact that most GM LS motors require several thousand miles to come into the real power. 1200? Not even close. You would think you would know that given your automotive (cough cough) background.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:32 PM   #158
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Coolest Camaro, it's too bad. But coming from a Vette, I don't know what you were expecting....to be honest, I'm not sure why you bought one in the first place, if it wasn't for backseats.

Having said that, there is no denying that this car has 600+ lbs on your Vette. That's nobody's fault, and not necessarily a bad thing. It has 2 extra seats, sits mildly higher, and some of that extra poundage is invested in world-class structural integrity and more airbags than you can count!! (exaggeration). Not to mention that the car was tuned to be comfortable as well as sporty. Most people appreciate this because they don't race.

I think that instead of taking a $5000+ LOSS on the purchase by trading it in and getting a poopy little 370z (if you haven't already), you should spend about $2000 in Pedders or Pfadt suspension parts, pop them on your car, and drive circles around the Nissan!! And here, I'm not exaggerating!

My .02. It sounds to me like you're finding a reason to dislike it, rather than realizing a mistake...but this is the internet, and I may be reading wrong.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #159
camaro99

Drives: Angry Dorothy II 2016 2SS
Too bad you have to come on here to give a negative opinion referring to a corvette comparison.
Vett and camaro are different cars for different people. this is a camaro forum . We can compare the camaro to many cars including the 370 Z. This car was made for camaro nuts like myself as for a vette it never did anything for me ,appearance wise and neither does the thunderbird for that matter.
The new Camaro is perfect as is :STOCK ,no mods
Guys who want to go faster than 13sec for the 1/4 mile or more than 255kph need another vehicle or spend more cash on their camaro.Too each is own

GM hit the jackpot with this baby.
I have seen so many thumbs up for a car ever anywhere!
Old 09-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #160
camaro99

Drives: Angry Dorothy II 2016 2SS
Cool camaro vs vette

Two very different cars. This is

One sporty one classy The Camaro actually now does both.
Way to go GM CANADA by Canadian know how.

Vive Le Canada and its growing number of race fans and race car drivers.

Yesterday's Nascar race pace car again was the new Canadian Camaro.

And it seats 4 people. Vette can't do that at 255 kph!
Old 09-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #161
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro99 View Post
Two very different cars. This is

One sporty one classy The Camaro actually now does both.
Way to go GM CANADA by Canadian know how.

Vive Le Canada and its growing number of race fans and race car drivers.

Yesterday's Nascar race pace car again was the new Canadian Camaro.

And it seats 4 people. Vette can't do that at 255 kph!
Ya think you could have snuck one more "Canada" or "canadian" in there?
Old 09-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #162
Pushing_Tin

Drives: 2007 Honda Accord V6 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 View Post
You believe everything that motortrend tells you?

What if they said that pigs fly?

Edit: Look at the graph on page 17 of the link you posted Mr. Tin. All i can say is LOL.
Give me a break, if MT claimed that the Camaro was the winner of this comparo you'd be nut swinging on them like crazy.

I just posted the story since it is appropriate for the discussion at hand. And I'm sorry that the Camaro finshed 10th, life goes on.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #163
WeeZee

Drives: SuperSport's
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolestCamaro873 View Post
Well after waiting 3 years for this car to finally be in my driveway since I saw it in the magazine it has been nothing short of a dissapointment. The car feels heavier than it is, the vision out of it is very oddly shaped. And this car is not violently quick, which isn't a big deal but after driving a Vette for 4 years it isn't the same. But, I knew the Camaro wouldn't be a Vette. It seems I let the hype and nostalgia of this vehicle persuade me to have to have one in my driveway immediately. I always loved Vettes and Camaros, but once you get past the cool factor of this car and the fact that is has a Vette motor, without the Vette power, it just isn't doing it for me. Please don't flame me for coming on here and giving my honest opinion of the car. I just want others to know what the SS really has to offer.

The fact is I love sports cars and the Camaro is not a sports car it's a sports coupe! Forget the fact that GM is advetising this car as the "Sports Car of the 21st Century!" It is not a sports car. It handles poorly when driving in tight mountain roads which I love to do with my toys. Too much body roll and steering isn't tight enoguh.

I'm afraid that my worst fears have come true about this car. Ever since the first test in the magazine I figured this would happen. This car is great for what it is, but not for someone who really loves sports cars and what sports cars really are. Sports cars are fun to drive in all situations, Camaro doesn't fit the bill all the time. A sports car communicates with its driver at all times, Camaro puts you on hold most of the time. These cars are sports coupes trying to reveive the muscle car era big engines go fast. Yes they obviously turn alot better and brake better than ever, and the Camaro is also very suitable for highway driving and comfortable on bumpy roads, but it isn't enough.

I need to enjoy driving my car and I'm sharing this info for others to read that haven't purchased the Camaro and haven't driven one yet. I'm not saying to listen to me I think you should go drive one. Who knows you mgiht fall in love with one. But, there needs to be criticism here, this fanboy atmosphere of I don't care what you think because you killing the Camaro. I'm entitled to my opinion especially after forking over $35k for a Camaro. And people that haven't purchased one need to see this criticism of the car, because you are on a Camaro forum and it is very unlikely that you will get a non biased opinion because this is the Camaros home for fans.

I've tried to love this car, I really have, but I shouldn't have to. The car has ben so hyped that it falls way short in my opinion. And hopefully GM gets their act together and brings out a Camaro that is better handling and lighter. I will be test driving some 370Z's this weekend and I know they will be a fun car to drive nothing is final in my decision yet, but the Camaro ma have just lost another valued cutomer that GM needs!
Don't get rid of the SS bro, just get a full Eibach Suspension, Procharger Supercharger kit with D-1SC unit (8-psi) and a clutch kit problem solved !!!
Old 09-13-2009, 09:04 PM   #164
SSmoothie

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6SP Blk/Blk
Didn't you read the ad?

http://oldcarandtruckads.com/Chevrolet/68GMCA01.jpg
Old 09-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #165
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
You're crazy! This car is the bomb!
Old 09-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #166
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by camero View Post
You're crazy! This car is the bomb!
The way some of the transmissions and CV joints are exploding on the new Camaros, you could certainly be accurate with that statement.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #167
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
The way some of the transmissions and CV joints are exploding on the new Camaros, you could certainly be accurate with that statement.
The good news is, all that's covered under warranty and fixable in a first-year car. At least it doesn't have a dirty rust-colored rash on it's under-parts...5 years into the model...
Old 09-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #168
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Almost all the mainstream auto mags (MT accepted) have pretty much rated the 5thgen second to the newly revised Stang for the same two reoccurring reasons 1)weight and 2)handling. Safe to say the two are not mutually exclusive in general or in this context. The Stang is several hundred (correct me if I'm wrong) pounds lighter which makes it a car more pliable to hard and enthusiastic driving, not to mention the steering is tons more communicative than the hefty 5thgen. Throw in the "Track Pack" for the GT and it's no contest.

Now, in the latesat issue of MT in the news section there's talk of GM engineers being aware of the lack of engagement in the 5thgens handling and that they are at work on some sort of handling upgrade package.

Let me say this though, if you can afford an SS, believe me you can afford to equip the car with MINOR modifications to take it to the next level handling wise and it's something easily done. So quit your biatchin'!
PS 2011 Stang will have an even better track pack! I think the OP hit some concerns that people have, some people love the car for what it is while others fell like the driving experience is as the OP described. I for one after driving many cars, even the Camaro decided to wait. I also agreed with his points hence why I am leaning heavily Mustang. Thats not to discredit the Camaro it is what it is but my last two cars (350Z, Cobalt SS/SC) were light nimble fast cars and I like the way that handling scenario works for me so at this point as much as I like Camaro until they change the platform, Mustang is my preference. So good luck on your search, enjoy what you get!

Closed Thread