Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 06-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by irocnroll View Post
Buy a cheap POS that someone has registered and is looking to sell. Then turn around and use it for the program.
Must have missed this requirement when you read the first post...

Quote:
- Be continuously insured and registered to the same owner for at least one year
Old 06-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #16
bluecamaroguy

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS ABM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIK07GTSTANG View Post
From what I've read, the clunker has to be 8 years or older and get 18mpg or less. Also I saw a maximum new car cost of $35,000. Granted, this bill has only passed in the House and still needs Senate confirmation.
http://money.cnn.com/2009/06/09/news..._for_clunkers/
Your wrong the Senate voted on it yesterday and it passed.

Plus in another thread I think it was decided ONLY the V6 AUTO reaches 22 MPG and thus only that car qualifies for the clunker voucher.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26868

Quote:
The ONLY 2010 Camaro model that will qualify for use with this is the v6 Automatic. Nothing else has a 22mpg combined number on the windshield. Even then, the v6 auto barely qualifies but it does do to rounding off to a whole number.

FEcomb = 1 / (( .55 / city FE) + (.45 / hwy FE))

Model___City_____Hwy_____Combined______EPACombined
v6 MT___17______29_______20.88983051___21
v6 AT___18______29_______21.7047817____22
v8 MT___16______24_______18.82352941___19
v8 AT___16______25_______19.09307876___19
bluecamaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #17
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Must have missed this requirement when you read the first post...
Ah, the first version I saw just said the car had to be registered and insured in general. It didnt specify ownership. That bites.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #18
RPO F55

Drives: 2005 C6 Corvette
This will do next to nothing. Think about it - you have to trade your vehicle to get up to $4500 credit. Vehicle is then crushed, so obviously dealer is going to give you nothing for it since they do not get it to retail after your sale. So, if your trade is worth more than the credit, you are better off trading it in for its value outside this program. If it is worth $4500 or less, chances are you not in the new car market - most likely in line for another used. Some exceptions but I can tell you from being in this business that few people come up with trades on New purchases worth this small amount.
RPO F55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #19
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
No, what bites is I have a 19 combined clunker and a R6P ordered auto V6!
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #20
drchevy1
Chevy Certified for 18yrs

Drives: Many Chevrolets
You have to use the government website for MPG figures http://www.fueleconomy.gov
Yes the dealership has to verify the vehicle will be junked and never be sold again, If your car is worth something trade it. If Not I am going to appraise it a Scrap Metal Price, cause that is all it is worth. You have to have been the registered owner and had insurance on it for a year.
drchevy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #21
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Sounds like one of her goals was to help Detroit...
He said they so they meaning Congress and the bill in question is what I was referring to. The fact that he got the email is very nice for her. Grats on that and good service to the voter.

But I think it's bad legislation because it is taxpayer money. Right now people are struggling to make ends meet last thing we need to do is give $4500 debit bills to the grandchildren of America so we can crush perfectly good working vehicles for little unsafe put puts.

I want your family to be safe, sound and comfortable and have choice.

Would I take the money? Yea I gave up resisting beyond a few words now and then on the web.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #22
bluecamaroguy

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS ABM!
But my question is when will this take effect. I know it expires November 1st 2009. Man if my car doesn't come in by November I am going to freak out because I'm missing out on that extra money.
bluecamaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #23
Huskr26

Drives: 1965 Corvette F.I., 2010 LT1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Here is what I got from my Senator, Debbie Stabenow

Dear Number 3,

I am writing to tell you about a great victory for Michigan, our domestic automakers, and our small businesses today in the U.S. Senate.

Today the Senate passed an emergency supplemental spending bill that included a new "cash for clunkers" program based on legislation that I authored, the Drive America Forward Act. The bill was already passed by the House of Representatives, so it now goes to President Obama for his signature.

Under the provisions of the bill, consumers may trade in their older vehicles and receive vouchers worth up to $4,500 toward the purchase or qualified lease of a new, more fuel-efficient car or truck. The $1 billion program provides vouchers for vehicles leased or purchased before November 1, 2009. Once the bill is signed, the Administration will formalize the program and release detailed information about how it will work. You can check my website (http://stabenow.senate.gov) for more information in the coming weeks.
Trade-in Vehicle Requirements

- Be in drivable condition
- Be continuously insured and registered to the same owner for at least one year
- Have a combined fuel economy value of 18 mpg or less (Work trucks must be pre-2002 regardless of mpg)
- Not be more than 25 years old with historic or aesthetic value. These vehicles are valued by hobbyists or are a valuable source of restoration parts.

New Vehicle Requirements

- The new vehicle must have a manufacturer's suggested retail price of less than $45,000.
- New passenger cars with mileage of at least 22 mpg are eligible for vouchers. If the mileage of the new car is at least 4 mpg higher than the old vehicle, the voucher will be worth $3,500. If the mileage of the new car is at least 10 mpg higher than the old vehicle, the voucher will be worth $4,500.
- New small trucks or SUVs with mileage of at least 18 mpg are eligible for vouchers. If the mileage of the new truck or SUV is at least 2 mpg higher than the old vehicle, the voucher will be worth $3,500. If the mileage of the new truck or SUV is at least 5 mpg higher than the old vehicle, the voucher will be worth $4,500.
- New large trucks (pick-ups and vans weighing between 6,000 and 8,500 pounds) with mileage of at least 15 mpg are eligible for vouchers. If the mileage of the new truck is at least 1 mpg higher than the old truck, the voucher will be worth $3,500. If the mileage of the new truck is at least 2 mpg higher than the old truck, the voucher will be worth $4,500.
- Consumers can trade in a pre-2002 work truck (defined as a pick-up truck or cargo van weighing from 8,500-10,000 pounds) and receive a voucher worth $3,500 for a new work truck in the same or smaller weight class. There are no EPA mileage measures for these trucks; however, because newer models are cleaner than older models, the age requirement ensures that the trade will improve environmental quality. Consumers can also "trade down," receiving a $3,500 voucher for trading in an older work truck and purchasing a pick-up or van weighing between 6,000-8,500 lbs.
w The mpg values are EPA combined city/highway fuel economy as posted on the window sticker of new vehicles and can be found at fueleconomy.gov.

I will continue fighting in the U.S. Senate to create jobs in Michigan and protect our domestic manufacturing industry and our small businesses. As always, please continue to keep me informed of issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,
Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator
You may want to read more. Everyone, consumer group and economist say the bill it's self is a clunker. I have: an '88 Camaro that won't get me squat. I would like to drop a Stroker in it but Calif. won't allow that.
DON'T CRUSH!!!!!!!!!!! Sell or Trade in. Preserve over pulverize.
Huskr26 is offline   Reply With Quote