Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Like to know what is the most popular Hood for the ZL1
Scoop Hood 7 17.50%
Slotted Hood(current hood type shown in Chicago Auto Show) 25 62.50%
Jay Leno's dual side Hood 8 20.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
SuperCarEnthusiast

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
Incorrect. At high speeds, it sure does serve a function in reducing pressure and creating "downforce". This is nothing new or a gimmick, and just because a few other vehicles don't have it doesn't mean it's BS.
The down force is the rear spoiler not a slotted vent. If the wind enterred through the top of the hood; it would be a severe drag on the car's speed since the air would have to escape too the outside which would limit the aerodynamics of the car in motion.
Especially in cornering; it would slow the ZL1 down.

But I think it is a gimmick to add muscle to the ZL1. I sure that it will have a down force but not much to prevent a car from taking off the ground from an incline in the road.
SuperCarEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #16
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCarEnthusiast View Post
The down force is the rear spoiler not a slotted vent. If the wind enterred through the top of the hood; it would be a severe drag on the car's speed since the air would have to escape too the outside which would limit the aerodynamics of the car in motion.

But I think it is a gimmick to add muscle to the ZL1. I sure that it will have a down force but not much to prevent a car from taking off the ground from an incline in the road.
????

It releases presure from under the hood, not the other way around. This = downforce. Spoiler adds rear downforce, front splitter and hood add front downforce. Air flows from under the car and grille out of the hood vents.
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #17
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
Incorrect. At high speeds, it sure does serve a function in reducing pressure and creating "downforce". This is nothing new or a gimmick, and just because a few other vehicles don't have it doesn't mean it's BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
What the last two guys said!!

The ZL1 was "designed to function".

And in a weird way, that's part of what appeals to me about the current hood. And it's relatively intimidating-looking...

"who needs a window? I've got VENTS"
...it's intimidating for sure Dragoneye, and as related to us before everything is functional...it doesn't get any better than that! Kinda like having your cake and eating it too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
No comment...
...ummm, you just did...LOL<it's like that Scarrzz thing we have where we are compelled to to post on things of which at times are of total irrelevalnce..LOL >
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCarEnthusiast View Post

True about the rear spolier. Not true about the mohawk. Enthusiast, please research the earlier posts referring to the dynamics involving the hood. There has been discussion on this board to support the dynamics at work with the hood structure. Chevy did extensive R&D and did not produce a gimmick or a non functional apparatus..