Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #15

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS 6A
I do not have a place in mind yet. I live in Minnesota. I see there is a track in Brainered, MN . They offer a 3 hour class, with a total of 25 minutes of race track time . I think I might give that one a shot .
191185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #16
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
If you are asking things like this, you probably should not be considering racing your car around a track. Just saying...
thats what this forum is for...asking questions and learning

OP, like everyone else has said. Its obviously gonna ware out certain parts more so than just daily driving. and the rate of ware is all dependant on how hard you're pushing it. people do track days all the time on factory hardware. they drive to the track, race and drive home. i say do it! however things will eventually break. its gonna happen...so just be ready for that eventuality.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #17
DarkObsession

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Running around a road course is only as hard on the car as you choose to make it, and it isn't nearly as abusive on the powertrain as drag racing.
Haha... HAHAHAHA... oh are you serious?

Drag racing is definitely not that abusive on the powertrain. The worst part of it is the launch which can be somewhat abusive on the transmission/rear end depending on how you launch, how sticky your tires are, and how much power you are putting out. Running an engine at WOT isn't a big deal during the whole 13 - 15 seconds you are doing it. A stock V6 will run in the 14s and should have zero issues running down the track for an evening.

Road racing is abusive on the engine, transmission, tires, rotors, brakes, suspension, etc. etc. I could go on but you get the point. And it lasts for a LOT longer than 15 seconds. A stock V6 is likely to get overheated at some point if you are pushing it and not paying attention.

Source: I've raced (mostly drag, some road) for many, MANY years.