Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #85
gmen09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerJPowell View Post
Is there something I'm missing about the simplicity of installing a $20 plug in between the harness and skip solenoid?

Pushing a button or waiting is not a good solution when you really just want to grab second cause you changed your mind about how hard you want to accelerate now that you're shifting?
Its not so much changing your mind about how hard you want to accelerate, i just found it useful when crawling in traffic at between 5 and 20 mph, just pointing out another option for people who hate being locked out of second(which we can all agree is incredibly annoying).
Old 11-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #86
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Is it bad that my skip shift eliminator is still under my car and I've had two dyno tunes? LOL. I've had my car up on a lift multiple times as well, just keep forgetting to unplug that thing.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #87
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
According to two people above it will work for Hill assist as well.

Nice Find OP. I am surprised in 4 years no one else has thought of this
It took a RCDONJ ( Real Camaro Driver of New Jersey) to find it !
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #88
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Every time it pops up I just ignore it and give it a little more throttle and it goes away. But I have been caught by it when I didn't notice it popped up, and then when I went to shift it was like "what the heck" then I see it and have to go into forth, then third and into second. But most of the time I'm shifting at 4,000 plus rpm's. Don't really do any traffic driving, just mostly open roads and hi-way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Well, can't always give it more throttle ...like when someone is in front of you. That's what happened to me first time I got the display. 2nd day I had the car I was making a R turn from a stop and car I was moving up on was going really slow, so after being locked out of 2nd & 3rd I really bogged and almost stalled going to 4th. Next day I installed a APEX skip shift eliminator ( already had it before the car came in). Now whenever I see the display I tell it to go F**K itself!
Old 11-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #89
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Well, can't always give it more throttle ...like when someone is in front of you. That's what happened to me first time I got the display. 2nd day I had the car I was making a R turn from a stop and car I was moving up on was going really slow, so after being locked out of 2nd & 3rd I really bogged and almost stalled going to 4th. Next day I installed a APEX skip shift eliminator ( already had it before the car came in). Now whenever I see the display I tell it to go F**K itself!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
What kept you from going into 3rd?

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #90
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
Yours was simply open. The skip shift is a solenoid with a coil in it that has about 2k ohms resistance. If u disconnect it, skip shift will be disabled, but the pcm looks for that 2k resistance. If it doesn't see it, it knows something is wrong and turns on the CEL light. If you disconnect it and put a 50 cent 2k resistor across the 2 leads and tape it up, skip shift is disabled and the pcm is happy. That's all a skip shift eleminator does. If you installed one and got a light, it's resistor wasn't making connection.
Wow a fifty cent permanent fix .........though the Op's find is a great temporary find for most......... Kudo's to both posters invaluable contributions.....
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #91
camguynj

Quote:
What kept you from going into 3rd?
CAGS, or Computer-Aided Gear Selection, is a feature on newer domestic performance vehicles equipped with a six speed manual transmission

you are in first gear
you are using 21% throttle or less
you are traveling between 15 & 19 mph
and your engine coolant temperature is greater than 169°F (76°C)

When these parameters are met, CAGS overrides the driver and locks out 2nd and 3rd gear forcing the driver to shift directly from 1st to 4th gear.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #92
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
CAGS, or Computer-Aided Gear Selection, is a feature on newer domestic performance vehicles equipped with a six speed manual transmission

you are in first gear
you are using 21% throttle or less
you are traveling between 15 & 19 mph
and your engine coolant temperature is greater than 169°F (76°C)

When these parameters are met, CAGS overrides the driver and locks out 2nd and 3rd gear forcing the driver to shift directly from 1st to 4th gear.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #93
DarkObsession

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2/LS3
Quote:
The solenoid is only connected to second AFAIK. I've stuffed it into 3rd plenty of times while that 1-4 shift is displayed and 2nd is impossible to select.
This. It doesn't lock out 3rd (at least it doesn't in my 2011). I often go to 3rd when it does it and then back down to 2nd.

I have an eliminator that I just need to find the time to install.

Also, just clearing the DIC of the message does not cancel the skip shift. It just clears the message.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #94
gmen09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkObsession View Post
This. It doesn't lock out 3rd (at least it doesn't in my 2011). I often go to 3rd when it does it and then back down to 2nd.

I have an eliminator that I just need to find the time to install.

Also, just clearing the DIC of the message does not cancel the skip shift. It just clears the message.
It does cancel the skip shift, try it out.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #95
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Op, you certainly get my vote for forum hero.

I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical, but I gave this a try in morning traffic. I followed the OP's instructions one time and I never had to deal with the dreaded skip shift issue again. I must have done a hundred slow starts that normally would force the 1st to 4th shift. Not anymore.

Congratrs, you have single handedly crushed an entire product line with your discovery!
So does this work forever like a permanent disable? Or does the feature turn back on the next time the car is re-started?
Old 11-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #96
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Doesn't work.
revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #97
DarkObsession

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmen09 View Post
It does cancel the skip shift, try it out.
I did try it out. Multiple times. It does not work on my 2011.

I did get it to "work" once. However, upon further testing, I realized that what I thought was it working was just the skip shift timing being up. In other words, the computer decided that the conditions for it were no longer valid and canceled it itself.

This is probably what happened to you.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #98
gmen09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkObsession View Post
I did try it out. Multiple times. It does not work on my 2011.

I did get it to "work" once. However, upon further testing, I realized that what I thought was it working was just the skip shift timing being up. In other words, the computer decided that the conditions for it were no longer valid and canceled it itself.

This is probably what happened to you.
Thats odd, it definitely works for me every single time (done it a ton due to the now daily stop and go traffic). I do have a 2010 so maybe that is the difference, what i have noticed is you need to push the button before depressing the clutch or else it will not work. Interested to see if that makes a difference for your 2011 maybe.