Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-06-2021, 11:38 PM   #71
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
I believe your experience, but also remember we are talking the 392 Apache motor or above. Obviously the RT version (5.7) and below are in a completely different field of performance, and shouldn't be compared with a V8 Camaro..
5.7 Charger/Challenger is comparable to 3.6 Camaro in terms of 0-60.

I used to love Challengers for their styling, but after owning an RX-8, I don't think I can ever own a Challenger.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:57 AM   #72
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
i frequently get passed on the road by other sports and muscle cars. no one does anything like im reading in this thread. i think a lot of these stories are highly exaggerated or made up altogether. i've been driving modified performance cars for over 20 years, i can count on 1 hand how many times i've been approached in the wild. and i can honestly say no one did anything outside of challenge a race, even if i declined.
Same here, I do drive like an adult, I would guess that if I were to drive aggressively I would attract more attention from other aggressive drivers
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:10 AM   #73
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
Unless she has the Redeye she wont beat you.

I don't have any problem in my SS from Mustangs or anyway. On the highway most get out of the way when they see me coming.
Not necessarily true, because…

Quote:
Not true. A 392, a standard Hellcat and the Redeye would all put up a fight, if not win. Especially considering his car has the M6.. you can't shift as quickly as an 8 speed automatic.
^^ This. Plus there is a Hellcat sitting in the lineup between the 392 and the Redeye.

Quote:
A 392 isn't going to beat an SS if it's stock. They weigh more and slower, and this lady probably isn't a good driver anyway. 392 will not beat an SS, especially a Charger. If the SS driver is a terrible driver and the 392 Challenger is a good driver then maybe.

Charger is still fast for a 4 door sedan though.
A Challenger on a good tire with a good driver that knows how to launch it can make things very interesting. Auto to M6 I put my money on whichever one is riding the auto, no matter which brand it is.

Quote:
I agree. I think it would be a drivers race.

And yes, that is very true with the hellcats. Power is only as good as the amount you’re able to put to the ground. Those cars have traction issues, so they’re not as fast as they should/could be. Don’t get me wrong, they are still FAST. That’s also why they’re not much different from the 392’s up until you get into the speed , say 60-70 mph+. When you’re starting at those speeds and go to punch it, that’s where the extra power of the Hellcat comes into play.
Soooo true. In Detroit, I see Chargers and Challengers every time I turn a corner. Many are Hemi. I assume they are 5.7L unless I see “392” or the SuperBee logo. Most of the people I personally know that own 392s and Hellcats immediately swapped out the tires. Most run Nitto, some run Conti. My best friend was one who waited on swapping tires. He absolutely refused to run me until he could get his Nittos. Problem is, his car got stolen before he could get his Nittos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomcustom View Post
I think the HP is underrated on the 392. It gets those heavy cars moving real well.
Most likely true. Definitely true for Hellcat. RWHP on a number of dyno runs of stock motors have delivered more power than can be expected from 717 at the crank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
i frequently get passed on the road by other sports and muscle cars. no one does anything like im reading in this thread. i think a lot of these stories are highly exaggerated or made up altogether. i've been driving modified performance cars for over 20 years, i can count on 1 hand how many times i've been approached in the wild. and i can honestly say no one did anything outside of challenge a race, even if i declined.
Like I said, I see Chargallengers every time I turn a corner. I don’t get challenged by ALL of them, not by a long shot. But hardly a day goes by that somebody doesn’t try to start some $#!T. I have pretty good impulse control and manage to ignore most of them. There have been a few notable incidents though.
  1. I’m on the expressway, top town, towing my bike to the park for a quick bike ride. A Challenger pulls up next to me, continuously pumping his accelerator to lift the front end. At 80 mph. After a while I get sick of this $#!t and floor it. Hope he had fun explaining to his passenger how he just got horribly smoked by a convertible towing a bike. Picture below was taken that day, after I got to the park.
  2. Mustang convertible follows me for about 3 miles on an expressway and gets off at the same exit I get off at. We’re both top down at a light. He starts revving. I yell over to him “that would be the worst mistake you make today”. Light changed. I fulfilled the prophecy.
  3. I’m at a stop light behind two cars. A white Charger 392 pulls up next to me. He’s also behind two cars. His passenger is talking so much $#!t I roll my windows up. Idiot puts it in line lock and does a smoke show. The light goes to green but nobody can move because nobody can see through the smoke. BTW - there’s a police station within half a block. Idiot.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:00 AM   #74
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobble Goat View Post
NO no, let him take offense. He deserves it! He jumped ship on me when we were GTO brethren, then I joined him as a Camaro buddy and he jumped again! F*** that guy!

LOL

Yup, don't no why he sticks around. I wonder how he plays the MOPAR crowd at his new forum? Probably tells some old stories about his Camaro and they tell him to go back to the Camaro6 forum.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:00 AM   #75
chevybill

Drives: 1994 z-28, 2017 2ss 6spd
I have been experiencing these strange driving habits since I bought my Z28, in 1994.
Some people are just ignorant and can't help it.
Today, I get much fewer interactions than I did in the 1990's, my 2017 Camaro is basically ignored by most motorists.
I think it really comes down to jealousy. These people had to settle for a non performance vehicle and when they see another person "living their automotive dreams" they have problems dealing with that reality.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:06 PM   #76
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
wow,i dont have these problems.maybe its because im an older guy and i drive like an adult?
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:13 PM   #77
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
wow,i dont have these problems.maybe its because im an older guy and i drive like an adult?
Or maybe it's a v6 so they think you're a girl?

Just kidding! Sorry, but I couldn't resist.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:25 PM   #78
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
People are stupid though. If these people knew anything about cars they'd know our LT1 engines are fast than probably almost 95 percent of all the cars on the road right now.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:33 PM   #79
ex-SS-ve

Just had 3 instances of these attention seekers happen within 5 miles of each other. First one was a new type R civic that seen me driving down the road. He chased me down and passed me just to get in front of me to do a right turn. He started to race a base rt charger. They both thought they were moving until i gapped them in cruising gear. The next one was a black 6th gen camaro ss convertible that seen me a mile away. Spun his car around to chase and pass me to just do a u turn and go the other way. Keep in mind i was in my pretty much stock 2013 ss1le with just a whipple.
Attached Images

ex-SS-ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:06 PM   #80
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve View Post
Just had 3 instances of these attention seekers happen within 5 miles of each other. First one was a new type R civic that seen me driving down the road. He chased me down and passed me just to get in front of me to do a right turn. He started to race a base rt charger. They both thought they were moving until i gapped them in cruising gear. The next one was a black 6th gen camaro ss convertible that seen me a mile away. Spun his car around to chase and pass me to just do a u turn and go the other way. Keep in mind i was in my pretty much stock 2013 ss1le with just a whipple.
Similar situation with type r here. Huge turbo blow off woooooosh.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:46 PM   #81
ex-SS-ve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Similar situation with type r here. Huge turbo blow off woooooosh.
Im sure his car was no slouch. But neither one was a match at all. A lot misjudge this car because it sounds stock and is pretty quiet. But so far has been a 10.89@132 as it is. Many that see it think its a v6.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:58 PM   #82
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
People talking about the 392 being as fast as the LT1 engine despite the Challenger being a tank.

If you take an experienced driver and have them drive the 392 and the Camaro, the Camaro is going to be faster.

Scatpack is generally around 4.1 to 4.3 I've seen in more reviews.

Camaro generally 3.9 to 4.1 in most reviews.

Even amateurs on youtube get 4.2 seconds in the SS.

Nothing wrong with the Scatpack/392. Sexy looking cars. That was another option if I couldn't find a used SS or LT1 in my price range last year, but I found the 2ss at a great price.

Scatpack certainly is a better car than a Mustang GT.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:38 PM   #83
ex-SS-ve

Quote:
People talking about the 392 being as fast as the LT1 engine despite the Challenger being a tank.

If you take an experienced driver and have them drive the 392 and the Camaro, the Camaro is going to be faster.

Scatpack is generally around 4.1 to 4.3 I've seen in more reviews.

Camaro generally 3.9 to 4.1 in most reviews.

Even amateurs on youtube get 4.2 seconds in the SS.

Nothing wrong with the Scatpack/392. Sexy looking cars. That was another option if I couldn't find a used SS or LT1 in my price range last year, but I found the 2ss at a great price.

Scatpack certainly is a better car than a Mustang GT.
in terms of a 1/4 mile drag race or even a roll race its not even close. When mine was completely stock i would put several car lengths on both scat pack examples. While they are nice cars it doesnt strike me as something i would consider building as a fast car. They do have some limiting factors.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:34 AM   #84
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
Quote:
People are stupid though. If these people knew anything about cars they'd know our LT1 engines are fast than probably almost 95 percent of all the cars on the road right now.
Lol Is that English.
You sound like a child. An all wheel drive Subaru will likely take you from stop light to stop light.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote