Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 01-15-2018, 05:46 PM   #1
sf70h

Drives: 17' 2SS Camaro A8 Vert NPP
MRR Designs M650 (ZL1 Knock-off)

Does anyone have any experience w/ wheels by MRR Designs, offered by phasetekperformance.com? The ones I was looking at are the ZL1 clone / knock-offs.

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...-m650-cast.htm

I really like the look of the ZL1 wheels, so was looking to save some serious $$ over an OEM ZL1 set.

This would be the 1st time I've ever ordered a wheel set. Does anyone have any recommendations otherwise, or things I should look out for? I know these prices are so low cause they are foreign made, and have very limited if at all safety checks during manufacture.

Thanks for any help!
sf70h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
I just installed the M650's about 2 months ago on my 2016 SS. I LOVE THEM!!! No regrets!!! I will say this....you can get them cheaper than Phastek!!! Nothing against Phastek, they are great guys and I love what they do for the Camaro community, but if you're trying to save money, there are less expensive alternatives! Hint....contact Paul at PK Auto Design!!! I got mine for under $1000 shipped.
Attached Images

Last edited by blazzin1; 01-15-2018 at 07:17 PM.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf70h View Post
Does anyone have any experience w/ wheels by MRR Designs.........

....I know these prices are so low cause they are foreign made, and have very limited if at all safety checks during manufacture. wtf?

Thanks for any help!
First off. Carlos from MRR and The Team at MRR are a fantastic group of guys. They have fully supported the Camaro community for a number of years. The only company that makes numerous models specifically for the Gen5 and Gen6 Camaro.

Second. Your last statement is completely false. You make it sound like they are produced in some dingy 3rd world country on outdated broken equipment. MRR wheels have various level of certification. No company would sell a product that would endanger the lives of it's customers, particularly MRR who has worked many years to establish themselves across many platforms, including Audi, BMW and Corvette owners.

If you have specific questions contact MRR. They are here often and if you called them direct I am sure they can answer any concerns you would have.
You couldn't count the amount of MRR owners on the Gen5 and Gen6 forums....there are that many. That speaks volumes.
A high quality product with aggressive pricing that sells in volume does not mean cheaply made to me.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
sf70h

@blazzin1 - Thank you very much for your post! Those 650s look great on your SS ... are they the 285/305s? $1k shipped is awesome. What tires have you tried out?

@BradfordCamaro - Thank you too for your post. I was just looking for some info on MRR and am glad to hear they have a following. The price is fantastic and it immediately made me think it was a little too good to be true.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
2nd comment on MMR. Excellent wheels, excellent service. In addition they will add clear powder coating to any wheel to protect it for $100 per wheel and they do outstanding work. I’ve had three sets of wheels on my Camaro , my replica 1LE wheels are my favorite. With the wheel as complicated as the zl1, I would get the extra powder coat.

Last edited by Glen e; 01-15-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:55 PM   #6
sf70h

@Glen e - awesome thank you for your post. The 1LE wheels are sharp too. I'd love to see a vert' w/ either. I need to do a search.

Rookie question ... was comparing the SS vs. ZL1/1LE tire sizes on https://tiresize.com/comparison/ ... is speedometer calibration something that is done, or do you just go with knowing you're roughly 1mph slower than the speedo reads? Also assuming mild effects on all things the car calculates on mileage.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The speedometer correction situation is so overblown to me. I don’t care whether it’s 58 or 59 miles an hour or even 60. Just remember what you calculate is the difference and go from there. What a ridiculous argument when You are comparing almost similar size tires.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:05 AM   #8
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
@blazzin1 - Thank you very much for your post! Those 650s look great on your SS ... are they the 285/305s? $1k shipped is awesome. What tires have you tried out?
Yes, I’m running 285/30 & 305/30 Nitto NT555G2’s. My mod budget is very limited (mostly because of my Wife...LOL!), so I had to find affordable performance tires in the right sizes! The G2’s fit the bill perfectly! Again, I was able to get the full set of tires for just under $1000 too!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #9
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
This would be the 1st time I've ever ordered a wheel set. Does anyone have any recommendations otherwise, or things I should look out for? I know these prices are so low cause they are foreign made, and have very limited if at all safety checks during manufacture.

Thanks for any help!
This is exactly why there are several international wheel certification processes, like JWL, VIA, TUV, and of course SAE. If you're concerned about quality, ensure they have passed one of the above standards.

Also, FYI, all Camaro factory wheels are "foreign", so your logical fallacy falls apart real easy.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #10
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc

Drives: camaro
@sf70h Thank you for considering our wheel brand we definitely do our best to stay in contact with our customers and be there for them when any issues arise.
Our wheels do pass all JWL, VIA and for those in Germany our test reports have have shown to pass TUV and thats why we also have a great camaro family in Germany.

as you can see we have many clients that have a great positive experience with our brand and we hope you get to join the team soon.

** on a side note yes the M650 wheel was almost not going to be part of our brand/ but since we have been known to have a larger collection of wheels for Camaros it would only be fair to provide this wheel model as well, at the time a few guys had this rep out and was retailing for roughly 1100-1200.00 a set in which we realized that if we decided to provide the wheel it would need to be sold according to the market which is roughly 1000-1100.00 a set *** but thats the story on to why our price on the M650 is lower then lets say M716
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #11
Zvelts

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_MRRWheelsInc View Post
@sf70h Thank you for considering our wheel brand we definitely do our best to stay in contact with our customers and be there for them when any issues arise.
Our wheels do pass all JWL, VIA and for those in Germany our test reports have have shown to pass TUV and thats why we also have a great camaro family in Germany.

as you can see we have many clients that have a great positive experience with our brand and we hope you get to join the team soon.

** on a side note yes the M650 wheel was almost not going to be part of our brand/ but since we have been known to have a larger collection of wheels for Camaros it would only be fair to provide this wheel model as well, at the time a few guys had this rep out and was retailing for roughly 1100-1200.00 a set in which we realized that if we decided to provide the wheel it would need to be sold according to the market which is roughly 1000-1100.00 a set *** but thats the story on to why our price on the M650 is lower then lets say M716

I would like some M017 or M650 for my 1LE in 19". Right now only 20" are available ???
Zvelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #12
PK Auto Design

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvelts View Post
I would like some M017 or M650 for my 1LE in 19". Right now only 20" are available ???
20" is the only option currently

the M716 is the only model available in 19" for the camaro.

Other then that it is the FS series wheels.
PK Auto Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #13
RAYYOU

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue
650s

I have the MRR 650s on my 2017 SS and I love them. Bought them from Paul at PK and got a great deal.
Attached Images

RAYYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #14
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
all the good, none of the bad

These will be easier to clean than stock ZL1 wheels because they don’t have that dumb lip 1/2” behind the spokes.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote