#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Phastek Performance

Old 01-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #15
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
So the A10 fits in the Camaro but not in the Corvette. And the M7 fits in the Corvette and not the Camaro? I think I'd need some more evidence to be convinced.
Exactly. Add me to this list please. Something seems off. If it’s cost then charge for that option. People will pay if they really want this tranny.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:39 AM   #16
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
If it’s cost then charge for that option. People will pay if they really want this tranny.
Might be better to just fit it as the only manual transmission, charge a bit more for the base car with it, and enough less for the 10A option to keep the price of a 10A car about where it is.

Norm
Old 01-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #17
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Exactly. Add me to this list please. Something seems off. If it’s cost then charge for that option. People will pay if they really want this tranny.
It costs them $$$ to certify and validate yet another transmission combination and likely the business case is not there.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #18
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Might be better to just fit it as the only manual transmission, charge a bit more for the base car with it, and enough less for the 10A option to keep the price of a 10A car about where it is.

Norm
Not sure I follow. Based on what's been stated so far, I'm not sure I follow why anyone, including GM, would be willing to pay more to accomplish this in the Camaro platform. The reasons for not doing so seem to make the most financial sense for everyone...?

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #19
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
Not sure I follow. Based on what's been stated so far, I'm not sure I follow why anyone, including GM, would be willing to pay more to accomplish this in the Camaro platform. The reasons for not doing so seem to make the most financial sense for everyone...?
If you're going to do the 7M at all, make it the only MT available and at least avoid having to certify a third transmission. Charge accordingly for the 7M being somewhat more expensive with the A10 remaining at the same price.

I can't speak for everybody, but I know that if I was interested in some particular car and it was priced exactly the same whether it came with the MT or an AT that I'd still be getting the MT.

Norm
Old 01-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #20
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
If you're going to do the 7M at all, make it the only MT available and at least avoid having to certify a third transmission. Charge accordingly for the 7M being somewhat more expensive with the A10 remaining at the same price.

I can't speak for everybody, but I know that if I was interested in some particular car and it was priced exactly the same whether it came with the MT or an AT that I'd still be getting the MT.

Norm
Any powertrain combination needs to get certified. Its already been paid for with the 6 speed manual. If the 7 speed is a replacement for the 6, it needs to be certified. If its an additional option, it still needs to be certified. One way or the other, a 9th powertrain combo for the Camaro would need to get tested.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #21
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I've had tons of 6 spd cars. Never once driving them did I wish it had a 7th speed.

It's all in your head that 7 is better than 6.

If you had a diesel that did all it's work in a 1000 rpm range, yeah you need tons of forward gears.

When you have a gas V8 with a super broad tq curve, the fastest way around or down the track is minimal shifting.

Since the topic started with a 1LE as the discussion vehicle...here is how you gear it. Select your rear gear to top out your 1:1 4th gear just ticking the rev limiter at the end of the longest straight. Close ratio 2-3-4 gears in the trans.

Using 5th and 6th on track is a crazy Nurburgring thing, not realistic for US track days. So you ratio those for highway driving.

Done, now you have the 1LE perfectly geared for track or highway and with zero use for a 7th speed. Adding one more gate just complicated speed shifting that much more. And with - no lift- and rev matching... would you rather have really nice precise gates or "more" for the sake of more being better.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:25 PM   #22
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I've had tons of 6 spd cars. Never once driving them did I wish it had a 7th speed.

It's all in your head that 7 is better than 6.

If you had a diesel that did all it's work in a 1000 rpm range, yeah you need tons of forward gears.

When you have a gas V8 with a super broad tq curve, the fastest way around or down the track is minimal shifting.

Since the topic started with a 1LE as the discussion vehicle...here is how you gear it. Select your rear gear to top out your 1:1 4th gear just ticking the rev limiter at the end of the longest straight. Close ratio 2-3-4 gears in the trans.

Using 5th and 6th on track is a crazy Nurburgring thing, not realistic for US track days. So you ratio those for highway driving.

Done, now you have the 1LE perfectly geared for track or highway and with zero use for a 7th speed. Adding one more gate just complicated speed shifting that much more. And with - no lift- and rev matching... would you rather have really nice precise gates or "more" for the sake of more being better.
Make sure it’s ZL1 1LE. Not just 1LE. I am talking ZL1s and up.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #23
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
I suppose the 7 speed would allow GM to offer the same transmission for both the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE without either having to sacrifice its model specific 6th gear ratio.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #24
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Any powertrain combination needs to get certified. Its already been paid for with the 6 speed manual. If the 7 speed is a replacement for the 6, it needs to be certified. If its an additional option, it still needs to be certified. One way or the other, a 9th powertrain combo for the Camaro would need to get tested.
Understood.

But if any switch from 6M to 7M was to occur with the introduction of the new model year you'd still only require one MT cert.

Norm
Old 01-07-2018, 12:31 PM   #25
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Certainly a good question - I've heard the same thing as has been mentioned, that it didn't fit. I doubt any manufacturer would give up the possibility of better fuel economy.

But maybe the focus of this question could be the technical aspect of what doesn't fit?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #26
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Poll is up! This thread has been included!

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518611
Old 01-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #27
UserNameNotFound

Drives: 17' Camaro ZL1
My experience with the M7 on the C7 Vette is that it is just not worth it... Very easy to mis-shift and it will happen at the worse possible moments! 7th was just worthless, very minor fuel economy difference from my calculations and kills the torque completely.

I like the M6 better on the ZL1.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:39 AM   #28
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNameNotFound View Post
My experience with the M7 on the C7 Vette is that it is just not worth it... Very easy to mis-shift and it will happen at the worse possible moments!
We probably said (or at least thought) the same things when transmissions started going up to 5 speeds from 4, and we suddenly had to cope with a third forward-gear gate. Perhaps some sort of shifter redesign would help here now that we're into a 4th forward gear gate . . .

Quote:
7th was just worthless, very minor fuel economy difference from my calculations and kills the torque completely.
The way I approach the choice of what gear to be using is based on it having adequate response for the driving conditions of the moment. And that includes my own state of mind at that moment - which can be "just sit back into a lazy cruise", a shooting-for-a-new-personal-best-lap-time-at-HPDE attitude out on the track, or anything in between. It's not going to be what gear the owner's manual (mpg-driven) or anybody else suggests for the speed in question except by coincidence. It's a "feel" thing that doesn't even need a tachometer. Listen to yourself and don't worry about any gears you don't use very much.

(I bet you'd use 7th a lot more in the midwest than you would up there in the northwest)

Norm