Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 12-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Car and Driver history of comparison tests between the Camaro and Mustang

If you have some time to kill, pretty cool list they put together.

https://www.caranddriver.com/flipboo...mag=cdb&dom=fb
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #2
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I think it was HotRod Mag that did the ultimate long block shoot out "could change cam" between the DZ302 and the Boss 302. In the end the Boss had this HUGE 320 degree mechanical cam with 4 autolite down drafts and 7,500 or 8,000 rpm shifting vs a cross ram DZ with a 'mild' 300 duration solid and a "normal 7200 rpm redline. about 475 HP from the DZ and 550 HP from the Boss. It was interesting and back in the day only things like Toyota 2TG twin OHC hemis could do 8,000 rpm... I wish I could remember the exact article.

My older bro loved the Mustang and went as far as building his backyard Boss 302 (4V C heads on a W block). I had a near stock 69 Z/28, not really all that fast with the stock exhaust manifolds. My DD 340 Dart was easily quicker, faster and easier to drive.

Back then if you really wanted something fast you DiY. Sure there were some factory parts but outside of Mopar's Direct Connection, aftermarket stuff was cheaper and better.

IMO, Chevy has dominated for the same reasons I see today. For instance any chepo Chevy 350 could be built from a 2 bolt main block with plain heads making decent HP, many had steel cranks like most trucks. For Ford, you want a steel crank? well you buy a Boss. You want heads that can breath you need a Cleveland. You a decent C6 trans, once again had to look for a performance model.

Take the LS1 Camaro, same engine as the Vette, Ford you had 4.6 GT, Cobra, 5.4 Cobra R, it was just mind numbing. Once again ANY SS had the same engine.

Same thing now. My SS1 was 32K out the door. No matter how much you pay for a SS it has the SAME engine, trans, and base brakes (still very good) etc. Seems like Ford you once again have base, PP1, PP2, 350 twins, dunno. Alls I know is the 19K that I "saved" over a Mustang with PP2, I could buy: heads, cam, wheel tire combo, shafts, and a high mile F-150 with trailer. To me I love the flatplain 5.2, I even looked into buying a 350. But I felt like the TWICE the price of a SS for an engine that really cost maybe a few hunred bucks more to make is a fool's errand. Chevy just says power to the plebs. That me.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote