Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #1
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
Anybody switched from xenon to led?

Good morning

I’m looking to switch my front lights from xenon to:
-either led
-or halogen

I own a 2017 zl1 with stock xenon.

I don’t know what are the stock lights ref?
If anybody knows and can give this ref....
-high beam
-low beam
?

I also tried to look aftermarket lights for led,
They come with integrated fan...
Need to know if somebody switched ?
If there is room available for these complete lights (bulb+Fan)
Specially left side with the air intake...

What did you use?
ref (H11....)
And the lessons learn :
-more light ?
-what about heat?
Thank you
Appreciate
(Sorry if there is a thread about that, I didn’t Find any)
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #2
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Why? You already have vastly superior lighting, compared to Halogen. Also, given the headlamp housing, you have vastly superior lighting to the vast majority of aftermarket LED headlamp bulbs.

The issue that you’ll encounter, if you insist on going down the LED headlamp path, is that the stock Xenon bulbs is that the connection is a D3S.

That connection is almost always used specifically for HID bulbs.

With that being said, there absolutely are fanless LED D3S bulbs, if you’re concerned about space.

However, the D3S bulb by default has a pretty large design so the integrated fan that you see on most of them probably won’t interfere any more than a stock bulb.

Personally, if you’re looking for better light output the best thing would be to go with a different projector and retrofit it within the housing.

However, I maintain that a conversion from HID to LED, given the quality of current aftermarket LED headlights, would be a step down from your stock setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
I would change the HID bulbs to higher temp, would be a better solution for the current factory setup.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
I switched to Phillips 5k. Just a cvnt hair whiter than OEM, same brand. Matches the LED running lights better IMO and they look true white, opposed to the slightly warm OEM bulbs. No loss in light output unlike 6k offerings.

One of my buddies has an expensive newer LED kit on his Honda Pilot. Looks impressive for like 50ft but the throw is shit. I think xenon stil rules the roost.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
nope no need i live in the city and stock headlights aint that bad lol
Old 12-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
Biscuit.fr

Tx
I’m concerned about European norms
Back to France next year if I stay xenon I will have to integrate a washing kit in front of them making some holes in my front bumper....
If I switch led I won’t have to add this kit...
I’m perplex
I understand stock are good
Old 12-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
Camaro18

Drives: Camaro V8 Coupe AT nightfall grey
Hello,

First a few words to introduce myself. I’m from Luxembourg in Europe. Two months ago I finally ordered my Camaro. We don’t have the SS or 2SS over here in Europe. I ordered the V8 in nightfall gray, the black rims, magnetic ride control and AT. The interior will be Kalahari. The equipment level is equivalent to the 2SS. I also ordered non-GM (they probably will come from Bosch) front parking sensors. They will be installed by the dealer and be painted in nightfall gray. The dealer is still investigating if there is a possibility to link them to a contact of the AT to activate them automatically when I shift to R. Otherwise I will have to activate them manually with a switch. The front sensors are a must here in Europe. The parking situation is quite different from the one in the US. We often have to put our cars into unmarked parking spots along the street and they are hardly larger than the car itself. My current car, a V6 Opel Insignia A, known in the US as Buick Regal, is equipped with rear and front sensors and they make life so easy!

I’m very impatient to get the Camaro! According to my dealer I can expect delivery in March 2018.

For now, the growing number of posts about the AT8 problems start to make me a little nervous… Hope the 2018 models are no more concerned.

But the anticipation prevails and I’m looking forward driving again an American Legend! I drove a Pontiac (RIP) Firebird V6 end of the 90’s.

Bonjour Biscuit.fr,

As long as the headlights on the US-model are the same as on the european version, no need to be concerned. The Camaro comes without a headlight washing kit and is homologated. I understood, that the brightness of the lights is not that high that the washing kit is required.

Regards
Camaro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #8
Biscuit.fr

TX
À German guy said to me that you don’t need the washing kit if you are below 2000k
If above it’s mandatory with xenon
2ss are imported to France
They don’t have washing kit, but I think they are not xenon but std bulb....
But impossible for me to have EU pieces
I tried hard to have EU nav and maps with no success!
I got US and EU ref for software and map
Nobody is able to give me a positiv answer on the way to get an EU update!!!!
Plus gps receiver seems to be different (like the pal/secam and zone for dvd...)

Il you go for front sensor
Put a front plate with integrated camera it’s better....
No ref in the American system and EU vin to have these ref are unknown here....
Old 12-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #9
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit.fr View Post
Tx
I’m concerned about European norms
Back to France next year if I stay xenon I will have to integrate a washing kit in front of them making some holes in my front bumper....
If I switch led I won’t have to add this kit...
I’m perplex
I understand stock are good

Ahh, now you are making sense.

Are you certain that LED bulbs will not have the same, silly washer kit, restriction that Xenon bulbs will have?

How exactly, do they verify your bulbs? Are they going to uninstall them to verify they’re LED and not Xenon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:00 PM   #10
Biscuit.fr

They will probably check the bulbs during the inspection.
I have to be sure
I will inquire more...
Old 12-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #11
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
If Europe has laws regarding idiots installing Xenons in non-xenon housing the US needs to take note! ��

Nothing more annoying than some asshole in your mirror with ultra bright xenons in halogen housings. Bonus points for lifted trucks.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #12
Reximus

Drives: 2lt rs lgx
wait... so in parts of Europe, you have to have a washing kit intalled for a bulb that allows you to see more? Confused...
Reximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #13
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Facing the same concerns.
The EU standard calls for ECE R98 Paragraph 6.2 and therefore Xenon (HID) headlamps must conform to the following:
1.) Pattern that cuts off the top part of the beam to a specific angle (the lens is cut this way in the HID case and the reflector does this job in the Halogen and LED cases)
2.) Automatic Leveling System (ALS) + Washing system / wipers in case of higher than 2000 Lumen brightness.
So for anyone importing an SS or ZL1 from the States it is possible to either:
1.) Check if there is a type approval "special permit" for the DOT headlamp from an accredited ECE lighting lab, which usually approves borderline cases = up to 20% variation from the ECE Spec. is granted. This can be verified from institutions offering such services - example from Germany here:
http://www.lichttechnisches-gutachte...hes-gutachten/
They sell such approval documentation, provided the specific headlamp in question already went through the lab tests. With this document you must go to the MOT when passing the test.
2.) Install EU Spec. Camaro Headlamps (no use simply moving to LED or Halogen in a DOT housing, since the reflector has to conform to the ECE beam pattern / cut-off angles as well - Item# 1 above). They are VERY expensive, since they can only be bought in Europe
3.) Try to DIY / Mod a stock U.S DOT headlamp by an expert lighting shop in Europe, who can install an EU type reflector / or lens in case of HID - to make it conform to the EU standard.
Another point on the HID bulbs:
The Stock bulbs are D3S type 4300K color and 3200 Lumen (35W) brightness. In order to conform to the EU norm without having to resort to the ALS and Wipers, it is possible to install D8S (Osram) bulbs instead, which are almost similar in the construction to the D3S, but are rated to 2000 Lumen (25W) only. You may need to replace the stock Ballast and wiring looms as well, since they are designed to fit the D3S bulb in terms of Wattage and connector shape.
I hope this piece of info helps other people in Europe and in countries that require European Spec. headlamps.
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #14
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
If Europe has laws regarding idiots installing Xenons in non-xenon housing the US needs to take note! ��

Nothing more annoying than some asshole in your mirror with ultra bright xenons in halogen housings. Bonus points for lifted trucks.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote