Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-18-2017, 09:37 PM   #29
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
I'll have to wait for now.. Let her sit in the garage, in the cold.

Not in stock..

They need to keep more in stock for us Frigid Snow Bound Folks..

https://zl1addons.com/products/mag-p...-with-mag-puck

If your car in inside of a garage then the tires will be a fine. Ive never pulled any summer only tires from my vehicles that sat in my garage.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:52 AM   #30
MJP

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
If your car in inside of a garage then the tires will be a fine. Ive never pulled any summer only tires from my vehicles that sat in my garage.
Yes, she's in the garage.
Detached from the house. 2"x6" frame with no insulation.
I'm smh as too how cold it got here two years ago.
Sustained cold 10-20 below, for several days straight in a row.
My damn house was making noises during the wee hours of the night.
I could hear the house creaking.
Then,, there was the sound of an M80 going off in the middle of the night.
The next morning, I notice that one of the pressure treated 4"x4"s holding up my deck had exploded.
Snapped right in half.
If it gets this cold again for several days, I'm thinking them tires will be one of the first to go and say bye, bye.
Oh well.. Isn't everything in life a Gamble?
MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:16 AM   #31
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
If the tires are not disturbed or touched in any way they should be fine.
The rubber will harden as the temps drop, then soften up back to normal as they warm up. If they are stressed when they are hard, that's when you have a problem.
The hard rubber will not flex at all when very cold, to the point that adding air to the tires will cause them crack.
If you don't do anything to make the tire rubber flex at all, they shouldn't have any reason to crack.

Like back in science class with the liquid nitrogen. They would freeze soft things like a flower then make them shatter when cold. But if they froze a flower and let it thaw, it would be soft again.
Extreme example.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:33 AM   #32
ReefBlueCoupe

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE MBM
On this topic, which jackstands do you guys find fit best under the car? I've had some nice cool cars, but this ('18 ZL1) is my first NICE COOL car, and I don't want any marred-up areas from jackstands. Are you wrapping the jackstand cradles in foam or a rag or something, or using blocks of wood between the car and the jackstand?

The smallest ones I have are the HF 1.5-ton aluminum stands.

Forgive me if this has been covered here - first Camaro and I'm new to these kind of specifics, but am a moderately-skilled mechanic (I do all work and mods on anything I own unless it's warranty work).
ReefBlueCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #33
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefBlueCoupe View Post
On this topic, which jackstands do you guys find fit best under the car? I've had some nice cool cars, but this ('18 ZL1) is my first NICE COOL car, and I don't want any marred-up areas from jackstands. Are you wrapping the jackstand cradles in foam or a rag or something, or using blocks of wood between the car and the jackstand?

The smallest ones I have are the HF 1.5-ton aluminum stands.

Forgive me if this has been covered here - first Camaro and I'm new to these kind of specifics, but am a moderately-skilled mechanic (I do all work and mods on anything I own unless it's warranty work).
Get yourself some jack pads for the pinch welds.
I think ZL1addons makes a couple different sets, plus I think some on here have made their own.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #34
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Putting my car on jack stands is likely the scariest thing I ever have to do. Twice I've had it shift in a way that it flips off that ZL1 addon Pinch weld adapter and all the weight of the car collapses on the painted rocker panel. CRUNCH!> Ahhhhh!

It's 100% my fault because I have an old 2 ton floor jack and the round plate it uses is recessed too deep, so when I roll it under the car and set the ZL1 adapter in there, the sides of the floor jack adapter plate want to make contact with the rocker panel.
I bought a hockey puck and it still isn't quite enough so I used a piece of 2/4 and thought that would work until it exploded into a bunch of pieces one time and dropped the car right onto the rocker panel. The next time It did it I was using a scrap piece of steel and while jacking the car up it rolled over some how... Same thing. . Aghh!.

So yeah time to buy a low profile floor jack so this doesn't happen again.

I was lucky the paint is so flexible on the lower rocker. It broke the retaining clip but no paint damage.
Same thing happened to me with the ZL1 addon pinch welds adapter....twice.
I cracked my rocker panel.
Since that point I'm using the center front lift point (and the center rear lift point as mentioned above). Yes...it will slightly buckle the aluminum plate, but there are steel bars under it. Lifted my car that way over 30 times. You must use a low profile 2+ tons jack with a wide round lift point.
Use at you own risk and discretion.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:05 AM   #35
MJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
I can just speak from experience that I have had with the Goodyear Supercar tires. Depending on the quality control at Goodyear, your tires might be a little easier to crack. Maybe I got lucky and got a good set. Common sense tells me if I don't move the car when it's below freezing, then I shouldn't have any cracks. Which was a gamble when I first got the car, Could still be a gamble today, I'm not an expert. I know my garage gets to darn near 10 degrees at times when it's really cold out. But I have had zero issues with the tires. Just be damn sure that you have given the tires an opportunity to warm up on their own before you break it out next year. I know one thing for sure, knowing what I know now, I'm not going to be removing my tires and putting my car on jackstands this winter. I'll continue with the gamble.

Everybody told me my car wouldn't start after each winter too if I didn't put it on a tender. So far proving that wrong to. Battery will be coming up on 5 years old, i'm really curious if it will start next year. Place your bets!
I'll take the gamble as well.
I'm not lifting her off the ground just yet.
She doesn't even have 500 miles on her.
I'll take off the wheels once I can afford another set of wheels to replace and set her down on.
I'm not going to set her on jack stands for six months in the below zero cold...
It's not going to happen.
Goodyear Rubber isn't going to run the show for my winter storage.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:29 AM   #36
MJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
If the tires are not disturbed or touched in any way they should be fine.
The rubber will harden as the temps drop, then soften up back to normal as they warm up. If they are stressed when they are hard, that's when you have a problem.
The hard rubber will not flex at all when very cold, to the point that adding air to the tires will cause them crack.
If you don't do anything to make the tire rubber flex at all, they shouldn't have any reason to crack.

Like back in science class with the liquid nitrogen. They would freeze soft things like a flower then make them shatter when cold. But if they froze a flower and let it thaw, it would be soft again.
Extreme example.
I'm thinking the same.
I have no problem rolling the dice.
Let's see what happens
I'll be looking at 15-20 below for extended days this winter.