Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #1
ChipperG

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Broken diff

I have a 2016 1SS at 1900 miles the rear end started to make noise and was replaced under warranty. I did a fluid change at 1400 miles. 600 miles later the rear end broke the gears and it was towed to the dealer again!!! I do not do hard launches but I do drive it pretty hard. Is anyone else having this problem?
ChipperG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
M4dne55

Drives: 16' Camaro 2SS
Sorry to hear! Hopefully they can repair it for good this time around. I have 5k miles on mine and the only thing I notice is the vibrating/grinding(?)noise that comes from the diff when I first drive off on a cold start. Haven't done a fluid change but I think I need to.
I don't drive it hard too often but then again, these cars are meant to be driven hard...right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M4dne55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
I saw someone else had this issue. It's due to not being filled up with the correct amount of fluid from factory. It will be under 100% warranty.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
ChipperG

My dealer has been great!!! Other then the rear diff this car is perfect no issues and is a blast to drive!
Old 05-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #5
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipperG View Post
I have a 2016 1SS at 1900 miles the rear end started to make noise and was replaced under warranty. I did a fluid change at 1400 miles. 600 miles later the rear end broke the gears and it was towed to the dealer again!!! I do not do hard launches but I do drive it pretty hard. Is anyone else having this problem?
Can you confirm the part number of the replacement rear end?
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #6
ChipperG

Sure let me get the info over the next few days
Old 05-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #7
ChipperG

Sure let me get the info over the next few days
Old 05-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #8
ChipperG

So what happened was when they replaced my rear diff the first time they reused the axle flange bolts and they all came loose or fell completely out that was why the car would not move. Make sure you guys are checking this and use locktight
Old 05-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #9
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipperG View Post
So what happened was when they replaced my rear diff the first time they reused the axle flange bolts and they all came loose or fell completely out that was why the car would not move. Make sure you guys are checking this and use locktight
Wow! At least it wasn't a failure of the diff and it turned out to be human error. Thank you for the update.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #10
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
I installed a Maggie and am putting down some decent power. No burn outs or competitive mode launches done at all though...just hard accelerating mostly while already moving in 3rd and 4th gear. I changed my fluid after 1800 miles (500 miles after the Heartbeat, headers and tune was installed) - but had Jannetty do it. I don't trust GM service techs. I could give two shits about my warranty - they're not going anywhere near my car because 90% of them work on cars for soccer moms and are only concerned with how fast they can get cars in and out. I haven't even had the remotest hint of an issue with my car mechanically. The only problem has been Drive Mode randomly vanishing but that's been a problem since these cars came out and I had happen to me the day I took delivery. It's only happened 4 or 5 times max in 3000 miles.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:50 PM   #11
xonos

Drives: 2016 2SS (Nightfall Gray Metallic)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4dne55 View Post
Sorry to hear! Hopefully they can repair it for good this time around. I have 5k miles on mine and the only thing I notice is the vibrating/grinding(?)noise that comes from the diff when I first drive off on a cold start. Haven't done a fluid change but I think I need to.
I don't drive it hard too often but then again, these cars are meant to be driven hard...right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey man, I saw this thread late because I too - have had this problem. I have been driving my 2016 2SS reasonably however, I (as most likely would) have performed a few hard take-offs & really got on it a few times.

The rubbing noise got worse and more distinguishable over time so I took it in today. I also noticed a "clicking" noise when turning which almost sounded like CV Axle issues. But I though, how the hell? This car has 4200 miles on it... They just called me and said that they had to completely replace my rear end differential + replace some part in my front-end as well. I'll give you guys a picture of the receipt when I go and get it. This is very concerning. I bought the car with 5 miles on it. How long will these replacements last?

Edit: Ahh I just read the other comment about factory not putting proper fluid levels in. That makes sense.
xonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:10 PM   #12
Slem

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS (Auto) Loaded
Well I now have the rear diff growl , it happens when the car is cold, when I turn left mostly at low speeds, it feels like it's locking while turning. Hopefully it will just be a fluid change to fix the problem. Other then that car is awesome.
Slem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #13
Skicam1

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red SS
Mine does it too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slem View Post
Well I now have the rear diff growl , it happens when the car is cold, when I turn left mostly at low speeds, it feels like it's locking while turning. Hopefully it will just be a fluid change to fix the problem. Other then that car is awesome.
Yep, mine just started moaning whenever I start out turning in either forward or reverse. Dealer has had new fluid on order for last 2 weeks?!!
Skicam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #14
xonos

Drives: 2016 2SS (Nightfall Gray Metallic)
Bad news. They did the "fix" and it's come back and it's even worse. I am taking it in to get them to look at it again. :(
xonos is offline   Reply With Quote