Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Photos | Videos | Renderings

AWE Tuning

Old 01-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #2745
jlcustomz

Drives: 83 el camaro
As you know Chris, you did a pic for me putting a 2016 Camaro nose in place of my swapped 2010 nose on my el camino & it became a reality.
Got another big favor of you if you can make it work. I'm redesigning my rear quarter panels to Have a little widebody cokebottle shape and extending the sheetmetal up to slightly less height than the current aluminum 59 chevy shaped bedcover. and old bedcover will fit between new metal more like a trunklid. This is to blend in with the 2016 z-06 vette rear bumper. Swordblades will be gone.
1st drawing center smooth widebody picture is the approximate new look. To accomplish this , Ill move the wheel well area out probably 2 inches,& rework the lower sheetmetal. Plan is to use the top part of a 1969 dodge charger rear quarter panel to splice into my quarter. It has a gentle top & sideways curve that could work.
2nd drawing shows a 69 charger panel laid over a stock el camino body just to show proper proportions. If you're able to lay a charger panel over the top half of my quarter, that would be nice.
Pic of existing modified passenger side.
20161002_192047 by joe leleux, on Flickr
drawing #2 is proposed new upper quarter bodyline. Smooth side profile drawing shows quarter will be just smooth curved up top.
20180110_165056 by joe leleux, on Flickr
This drawing just shows actual dimension of laying 69 charger quarter over before trimming. Could sit just a little bit lower
20180116_002213 by joe leleux, on Flickr
Black 69 charger pics links.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ol-lAZFat8dhM:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...YpAId1cMn13iM:
117693_Side_Profile_Web by joe leleux, on Flickr
muscle_cars_dodge_dodge_charger_car_stylish_83882_ 1440x900 by joe leleux, on Flickr

Last edited by jlcustomz; 01-17-2018 at 07:55 PM.
jlcustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #2746
chrisvr6

Drives: suzuki
Attached Images

chrisvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:46 PM   #2747
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Hey Chris, I had an idea of putting a C7 trans vent on the upper portion of the front fender of a c6 ss. Could you work that magic bro?

My idea is to flip the C7 vent around, upside down, and place it on the upper portion of the fender, back toward the door. To act as an engine bay heat extractor, unlike most wheel air vents.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:15 AM   #2748
jlcustomz

Thanks again & again() Chris. The actual project when done will have a little spoiler kick up at the rear & the top profile line will have to run through the sail panel & meet up at the top of the door, then I'll have a gentle coke bottle shaped flare out I the center.
The top profile adjustment tells me what I need to know though & when all done & black & shiny it should look pretty unique & the new shapes subtle enough not to look stupid like some widebody jobs you see. After downloading to my computer , I can just roll my thumb on the mouse I see the 2 top profile height differences instantly. This will help me decide how to blend a body line in across the sail panel to the door. I think the first one is it.

In person a lot of people love the 4 foot long handmade stainless sword blades, but they just never looked as good in a picture. I'll mount them somewhere inside the bed under the cover, maybe to where I can easily remove them. Was cutting the top of my hedges in my front yard years ago when making them & a guy that rode his bicycle through my neighborhood was stopped in the middle of the road staring at me. I asked him what the hell are you looking at & never saw him again.

Last edited by jlcustomz; 01-19-2018 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:40 AM   #2749
jlcustomz

Soloknight6, have a few thoughts for you, as I've done fender vents & borrowed vette parts for projects. I think it's a good thought initially.

The size & shape could possibly work, I'd go by a dealership & trace the pattern onto paper to lay on vehicle & confirm actual size & look on your vehicle. You can just lay paper over vent area & rub your thumbnail over it to pickup shape. Not sure if the curvature will be close enough or not, may be concave as opposed to convex.
Next concern is if there is enough empty space in fenderwell for depth of part. For actually fitting it to car , fenders would need to come off. Hole should be cut 1/8 to 3/16 smaller than opening & edge will need to be hand rolled in. Corners will be the most difficult part. There is a small chance of getting the edges rolled without needing to repaint, but pretty doubtful.
Then you need some structure to mount the part. This could be fabricated several different ways & attached to backside with 3-m 8115 panel adhesive.
No way I can say for sure if it'll work, but I wouldn't have wasted my time typing if I didn't think it was a good possibility and a good thought.
If you are going to do it yourself, you can pm me & even text me if you want me to advise you further.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:20 AM   #2750
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
Soloknight6, have a few thoughts for you, as I've done fender vents & borrowed vette parts for projects. I think it's a good thought initially.

The size & shape could possibly work, I'd go by a dealership & trace the pattern onto paper to lay on vehicle & confirm actual size & look on your vehicle. You can just lay paper over vent area & rub your thumbnail over it to pickup shape. Not sure if the curvature will be close enough or not, may be concave as opposed to convex.
Next concern is if there is enough empty space in fenderwell for depth of part. For actually fitting it to car , fenders would need to come off. Hole should be cut 1/8 to 3/16 smaller than opening & edge will need to be hand rolled in. Corners will be the most difficult part. There is a small chance of getting the edges rolled without needing to repaint, but pretty doubtful.
Then you need some structure to mount the part. This could be fabricated several different ways & attached to backside with 3-m 8115 panel adhesive.
No way I can say for sure if it'll work, but I wouldn't have wasted my time typing if I didn't think it was a good possibility and a good thought.
If you are going to do it yourself, you can pm me & even text me if you want me to advise you further.
Hey ty for the input! Ill take your advice, as you clearly know your bodywork. I may end up buying an unpainted GM camaro 6 fender, and play with it a bit. Cut the shape out, remove the fender on my car, and plumb the heat extractors somehow.

I just really love the transformers (I know lol, so dumb) bumblebee 6th gen fender vents, and think they would not only look great, but be very functional in evacuating heat. The C7 vent is similar in design, and could work as a factory part.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #2751
chrisvr6

that vent does not fit, maybe the other one
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2018, 11:14 PM   #2752
jlcustomz

In my Camaro nose el camino pic above, the fender vent is made either by slitting the metal, pushing the back in & fitting pie cut new metal & welding up or a whole new back section with the 2 bends in it welded up to the new face.
Didn't think of it till after making the first side that I could incorporate part of a 2016 z06 rear lower bumper grill into the vent opening.
Sometimes all custom is the best plan.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #2753
Tunz

Drives: Summit White 2018 1SS 1LE
Hey Chris,
I've gone through this whole thread, you do some great work! Would you mind putting these wheels on this car?

Tunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #2754
chrisvr6

Attached Images

Old 01-21-2018, 06:15 PM   #2755
Tunz

Drives: Summit White 2018 1SS 1LE
That looks great! Thank you.
Tunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #2756