Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 01-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #575
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Are we still talking about the cars capabilities above 150mph?
Yes, didn't you get the memo from the Mustang guys? Remember Mustang rule number one: the one and only data point where the Mustang is better than the Camaro, HAS to all of a sudden be the MOST important factor in judging a car. Like price... oops, I forgot we can't bring that up anymore.

So, in short, forget about how these cars drive, top speed on a mile course on dry lake bed in the dirt is the new "horsepower per liter" today...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #576
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
dont forget roll racing. Even though it is the Special Olympics version of drag racing lots of people put stock in it.
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:58 PM   #577
SSfriendly
Banned

Drives: Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Touche, plenty want the top end and that includes me. For anyone to say the gap at the 1 mile mark is MORE concerning than the gap at the quarter mile mark is insanity though.

Not that either time should truly concern anyone but the designers and engineers, but wow....
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarFanBoy View Post
dont forget roll racing. Even though it is the Special Olympics version of drag racing lots of people put stock in it.
Just ask BlaqWhole...it's his favorite motorsport!
SSfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #578
germanicus

Drives: Pony Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post

This isn't a surprise at all actually, we already knew the Coyote revs higher and has more usable power at those revs. Good on Ford, they're created a car that pulls away from the Camaro where it matters the least.
Maybe that matters least to you, but when:

-the aliens attack, and I'm running down to the sand/salt flats with a monster chasing me and I need to get across Nevada into Area 51 quickly, it will matter; or

-after the bombs fall, Humongous and his band of road warriors are chasing me for my guzoline, i need maximum speed across the wasteland to escape.
germanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #579
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanicus View Post

-the aliens attack, and I'm running down to the sand/salt flats with a monster chasing me and I need to get across Nevada into Area 51 quickly, it will matter; or

-after the bombs fall, Humongous and his band of road warriors are chasing me for my guzoline, i need maximum speed across the wasteland to escape.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:04 PM   #580
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanicus View Post

Valid points.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #581
whiteboyblues2001

Getting back to the Head to Head, did anyone watch it?

I did, and it was very interesting. The reviewers said that compared to the Camaro, the Mustang was like riding on top of a stack of phone books on top of a waterbed, and that the steering in the new Mustang is "a mess".

This was evidenced in the videos of the track portion. That body was jiggling around more than a phat butt in a rap video. Take a look at the shots where the Mustang is negotiating a corner and the video is shot from the rear. The rear end is way too out of control. I think a stiffer sway bar in the back (among other things) would make huge improvements on the track (and on the road too), and may even take away some of the steering issues. Johnny complained about initiating a turn with the steering wheel, then something happens, then you have to adjust. But then the car set, and you could control it. Could be the rear end flopping around, which you can clearly see in the video, and makes perfect sense.

I expected more, especially since they have the Magnetic Ride Control now. But I guess, Chevy had a better chassis to start with, then put a stiff suspension on it, and used the MRC to get rid of the harshness over bumps. Looks like Ford took the opposite approach. They just slapped the MRC on a soft suspension, and tried to tune it to flatten out the car in the turns (which it can help with too).

Prior to this, I would have told all the Mustang guys to get the MRC, because it is soooo good. But, the way they configured it in the Mustang, I am not so sure is utilized to it's full potential. The car is soft to begin with, so maybe the MRC won't make as big a difference. It sure doesn't on the track at least.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #582
Syphon23

Drives: 2008 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post

I did, and it was very interesting. The reviewers said that compared to the Camaro, the Mustang was like riding on top of a stack of phone books on top of a waterbed, and that the steering in the new Mustang is "a mess".

This was evidenced in the videos of the track portion. That body was jiggling around more than a phat butt in a rap video. Take a look at the shots where the Mustang is negotiating a corner and the video is shot from the rear. The rear end is way too out of control. I think a stiffer sway bar in the back (among other things) would make huge improvements on the track (and on the road too), and may even take away some of the steering issues. Johnny complained about initiating a turn with the steering wheel, then something happens, then you have to adjust. But then the car set, and you could control it. Could be the rear end flopping around, which you can clearly see in the video, and makes perfect sense.

I expected more, especially since they have the Magnetic Ride Control now. But I guess, Chevy had a better chassis to start with, then put a stiff suspension on it, and used the MRC to get rid of the harshness over bumps. Looks like Ford took the opposite approach. They just slapped the MRC on a soft suspension, and tried to tune it to flatten out the car in the turns (which it can help with too).

Prior to this, I would have told all the Mustang guys to get the MRC, because it is soooo good. But, the way they configured it in the Mustang, I am not so sure is utilized to it's full potential. The car is soft to begin with, so maybe the MRC won't make as big a difference. It sure doesn't on the track at least.
I watched it. And the only good thing they said about the Mustang was the engine and trans box.

I feel they only added the 1 mile run just to give the mustang something to win, due to the camaro having more down force at higher speeds nuttering its top end.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #583
SSfriendly
Banned

Drives: Looking
Quote:

The GT350 shares the same chassis as the GT and navigates around the track quite nicely. This is entirely a suspension and tire problem...or rather a suspension and tire that is softened as a compromise for a daily driver. The PP2 "should" address these issues.
SSfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #584
Bobkd

Drives: 2018 1ss, 2021 silverado HD
So what's the top speed of the 2018 mustang? Is it limited?
Bobkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #585
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobkd View Post
155 is what I've heard.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #586
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobkd View Post
6mph faster than a 1LE apparently.

sorry... but that was served on a silver platter.
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #587
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSfriendly View Post
The GT350 shares the same chassis as the GT and navigates around the track quite nicely. This is entirely a suspension and tire problem...or rather a suspension and tire that is softened as a compromise for a daily driver. The PP2 "should" address these issues.
Are you sure it is exactly the same chassis as the GT350? Ford said the GT350 is unique from the windshield forward, which to me includes changes to the chassis. So, I am not sure that I would assume that the chassis is exactly the same in the GT350 and the other Mustangs.

Plus, with all the awesome things said about the GT350, I can't recall anyone raving about the chassis. The handling, yes, for sure, but not sure anyone has specifically called out the chassis.

AND, even Ford's literature said that the PP1 includes "unique chassis and antilock brake tuning". You get different chassis tuning just by getting PP1.

Also, I agree that the PP2 will have be better on the road course. I was looking at the package, and it includes a 67 percent stiffer rear stabilizer bar, a 12 percent stiffer front stabilizer bar. In the videos, you can see the rear end dancing around like crazy. The 67% stiffer rear sway bar can help tame that.

But, as for the softer suspension for daily driving, they missed the mark. With Magenride, you can stiffen the hell out of the suspension, and let Magneride soften up for the bumpy bits. That's the beauty of it. You get the best of both worlds (comfort AND performance) at the same time. What good does it do to add Mangneride to a sloppy suspension?
Old 01-17-2018, 06:56 PM   #588
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
The two cars put out pretty much the same HP, and the Mustang is a bit heavier (100 lbs or so). SO, and difference above 100 MPH is most likely due to aerodynamic drag than anything else. We saw the differences of the ZL1 vs. the ZL1 1LE at the Nurburgring. The 1LE version had more aero designed for down force rather than reduced drag. So the 1LE was slower at high speeds, but carried much more speed through the turns, and in the end turned a much faster lap time. Also of note, the SS 1LE comes with extra aero for more down force.

The Mustang having 5 extra HP in no way is what makes the car win the mile race, aerodynamic drag surely is the answer.
The two cars are much more than 5 horse apart and much less than 100 lbs apart. More like a minimum of 20 hp apart and closer to a 50 lb weight difference with ford being heavier and more powerful.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote