Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #15
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
The heads are off. Notes:
1) better have a 13mm hex drive, cause my inclusive set did not. 1/2 drive IMO
2) selection of 3/8 extensions and whobbles will make life easier
3) drain coolant before hand, cause I could not find the drain cock from the top
4) uncap the headers or the head bolts can't come out (header in the way)
5) there is not one but TWO ground straps in back of the driver's side head
Notes on head:
Intake port is really tall, means flow.
Exhaust port is hideous. If I did not already have headers I would be looking at Victor JR heads and Kooks headers for it. LOL

Looking at it I'm going to pull the short block and trans from the top.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #16
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
The heads are off. Notes:
1) better have a 13mm hex drive, cause my inclusive set did not. 1/2 drive IMO
2) selection of 3/8 extensions and whobbles will make life easier
3) drain coolant before hand, cause I could not find the drain cock from the top
4) uncap the headers or the head bolts can't come out (header in the way)
5) there is not one but TWO ground straps in back of the driver's side head
Notes on head:
Intake port is really tall, means flow.
Exhaust port is hideous. If I did not already have headers I would be looking at Victor JR heads and Kooks headers for it. LOL

Looking at it I'm going to pull the short block and trans from the top.
That 13mm Allen socket is hard to find. O Rielys was the only one to have it near me

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:27 AM   #17
Daniel_94kg

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Krypton Green
When reinstalling the rocker arms, is there any valve lash adjustment? Specific order of tightening them down? Do they just get torqued down? It’s been a while since I’ve done a cam on a car and I’m not familiar with this engine.
Daniel_94kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:45 AM   #18
Chevy71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Decent write up man, especially for a guy who doesn't do this stuff all the time. I did mine in the car and didn't do near as many steps. Just watch that chain, if it falls off you are screwed haha. I use to do this daily for work, and still do it on a pretty regular basis though. Like you said, there is always more than one way to do any given job. What cam did you go with and what do you think of the performance you got?
SW long tube headers
3" stainless mid pipe - Secondary Cat delete - High flow cats
Port and polished heads-Double valve springs-platinum lifters & push rods
Cam phaser limiter - DOD delete
P1SC-1 Pro Charger 3.7 pulley
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs

Last edited by Chevy71; 02-12-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #19
Chevy71

Here are some pics of mine still in frame;
Attached Images

SW long tube headers
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs
Old 02-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #20
Dubchitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_94kg View Post
When reinstalling the rocker arms, is there any valve lash adjustment? Specific order of tightening them down? Do they just get torqued down? It’s been a while since I’ve done a cam on a car and I’m not familiar with this engine.
Torque them down when they are on the base circle. 24ft lbs iirc

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance

Last edited by Dubchitts; 01-22-2020 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #21
Dubchitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy71 View Post
Decent write up man, especially for a guy who doesn't do this stuff all the time. I did mine in the car and didn't do near as many steps. Just watch that chain, if it falls off you are screwed haha. I use to do this daily for work, and still do it on a pretty regular basis though. Like you said, there is always more than one way to do any given job. What cam did you go with and what do you think of the performance you got?
Thanks! I went with Pray stage 1 cam and ported heads. Performance wise I have no idea yet. I have yet to fire it. I don't want it's first start to be Sub zero temps. Lol

Old 02-15-2018, 05:38 AM   #22
Chevy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchitts View Post
Thanks! I went with Pray stage 1 cam and ported heads. Performance wise I have no idea yet. I have yet to fire it. I don't want it's first start to be Sub zero temps. Lol
Probably not a bad idea! What do you have for a tune?
SW long tube headers
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs
Old 02-15-2018, 05:40 AM   #23
Dubchitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy71 View Post
Probably not a bad idea! What do you have for a tune?
I'm going to go with Pray. That way he'll have a pretty close tune for it right away. Hopefully minimizing the fine tuning

Old 04-27-2018, 09:39 AM   #24
Dubchitts

Edited step 28. Trans removal

Old 04-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #25
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
you have to be on the base circle of the cam befor you torque the rockers down or your torque will be off because your compressing the valve spring
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:17 AM   #26
teesee150

Drives: Camaro
For those that have a lift, it is MUCH easier to just drop the entire front cradle with engine/trans attached then trying to pull the engine out the top.
teesee150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #27
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
So I’m pulling the motor now for the first time to do a forged internal build. I’m going to leave the transmission in the car unless there is a crazy reason why I shouldn’t, any issues with pulling the motor and letting the transmission there? I’m not touching the transmission mount, any ideas?
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #28
Dubchitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED View Post
So I’m pulling the motor now for the first time to do a forged internal build. I’m going to leave the transmission in the car unless there is a crazy reason why I shouldn’t, any issues with pulling the motor and letting the transmission there? I’m not touching the transmission mount, any ideas?
Never got notified of the posts. I'm sure by now you figured out you have to undo the mount. If going out the top, loosen the cradle bolts a little and it will give you the space to separate the motor from the transmission. I never thought about that during mine and that's why I pulled both on such a crazy angle. Otherwise the oil pan would hit on the thin aluminum cross member and you couldn't get off the input shaft