Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #15
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Here is my take, coming from someone who owns a 2016 Audi SQ5 that is making 380hp but weighs 4300lbs.

While on paper the HP/TQ is similiar, the Camaro is 300-400 pounds lighter. From a dig, the Audi has launch control as well. If you go from a dig that Audi is going to leap out in front of you, no questions at all. They dont have to worry about a thing about spinning the tires, they just go into launch control mode pin the throttle and then release the brakes and launch. Up to 80% of the power goes to the rear wheels. It wont spin the tires, it will just flat out hook and take off.

You will spin being in the Camaro, no way around it. That bit of spinning and the Audi being able to launch out of the hole is going to have you playing catch up off of the line. I think the dig race will be really close with you having to chase him down.

If you go from a roll, say around 20mph and up it will even things out and take the launch factor out of the equation. under those conditions the Camaro will pull away no problems from the RS5.

I have raced a 2016 Camaro V6 in our Audi, 326hp and 3600lbs versus our Audi at 380hp and 4300lbs.

The Audi still won the race and pulled away from the Camaro. Audi is no joke either on the performance side, next year I am tuning our SQ5 and changing out the supercharger pulley, those two mods alone with put me over 500hp out of the 3.0 liter V6.

They are no slouch at all when it comes to modding and performance.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:14 PM   #16
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
Dollar for dollar its about the fastest. Wanna go faster? Put out some more ducketts.
It's great. So great I bought one. For people to be dismissive of anything else just because they're a "fan" is just silly though. I guess I just have more appreciation because I've been lucky enough to drive many other things.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:53 PM   #17
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
We are all just giving opinions, not being dismissive. There is a reason why a lot of people are leaving Audi, BMW, etc, and coming over to the Camaro.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #18
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
We are all just giving opinions, not being dismissive. There is a reason why a lot of people are leaving Audi, BMW, etc, and coming over to the Camaro.
Indeed. It's not because of straight line ability though. I came over from the M3 because of the chassis/handling. If I only cared about straight line, I'd have went with my other choice, the Audi RS3.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #19
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
I appreciate all the input, but for those who dismiss the Audi because it makes less tq and weighs considerably more than the Camaro, all I can say is look at the test data. Physics aside, the Audi somehow manages a 0-60 time of 3.9 to 4.5 seconds depending on which test you read, and a 1/4 mile time of mid 12s with comparable trap speeds to the Camaro.

What I'm hoping for is some insight from those who drag race their auto trans SS on a regular basis and might have some tips on how to get the best run out of my SS. Do you suggest dropping the rear tire pressure? Do you use launch control? If not do you just launch from idle? Turn off traction control or leave it on? Track mode, or touring mode for better weight transfer? Any constructive tips are appreciated. I can certainly figure out all those variables for myself, but I'd like the benefit of others experience to save myself a hundred experimental runs and a set of tires! 😉
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:04 AM   #20
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
So my friend got his RS5 and took me for a ride in it. I must say it feels fast, very fast! It takes just a second for it to get into the power, but when it does it pulls extremely hard. Cars always feel faster from the passenger seat, but it’s gonna be a hand full for the SS when we get a chance to line them up and find out!
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:10 AM   #21
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post
I appreciate all the input, but for those who dismiss the Audi because it makes less tq and weighs considerably more than the Camaro, all I can say is look at the test data. Physics aside, the Audi somehow manages a 0-60 time of 3.9 to 4.5 seconds depending on which test you read, and a 1/4 mile time of mid 12s with comparable trap speeds to the Camaro.

What I'm hoping for is some insight from those who drag race their auto trans SS on a regular basis and might have some tips on how to get the best run out of my SS. Do you suggest dropping the rear tire pressure? Do you use launch control? If not do you just launch from idle? Turn off traction control or leave it on? Track mode, or touring mode for better weight transfer? Any constructive tips are appreciated. I can certainly figure out all those variables for myself, but I'd like the benefit of others experience to save myself a hundred experimental runs and a set of tires! ��

Its all about hooking up and put your power to pavement. Look at the old muscle cars from the 60 and 70s. Terrible 1/4 mile times. Not because they were low on power but could not put the power efficiently to the ground as they would spin tires all through first gear. Bias ply tires and available transmission gearing were the big factors.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #22
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
So my buddy who has spent the last month searching for an M3 he wanted has shifted gears and instead has purchased a 2013 Audi RS5. I know the race is coming soon and on paper our cars are nearly identical in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times! His car is all wheel drive which I know will give him an advantage off the line therefore I know he'll insist on running from a standing start. I've not yet played with the launch control on my 2SS A8, but I've read where the pros feel they can better the 0-60 without launch control, but they may be referring to a manual trans where their skills come more into play.

My question is, are their any tricks that will give me the edge in this race? Is launch control my best bet, or just put it in Track mode and let'er rip? Adjust air pressure in the rear tires? Traction control on/off etc!

I've raced a lot over the years so I'm no stranger to this kind of thing, but I haven't raced this car yet so any pointers are appreciated!

I've been racing and building euro cars for a while, with a tune and downpipe these cars are fast and quick and these two mods are easy peassy. Of course he is not going to let on if has them, just look at my tag line to understand.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:20 AM   #23
MemoTRCKSS
Memosanchez22

Drives: 2016Camaro2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
It's German and 4 years old, so he'll likely have electrical problems halfway down the track and it will shut off.
LOL
MemoTRCKSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:21 AM   #24
MemoTRCKSS
Memosanchez22

Drives: 2016Camaro2SS
rs5 will have nothing on u raced a few and honestly no match
MemoTRCKSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:51 AM   #25
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:

What I'm hoping for is some insight from those who drag race their auto trans SS on a regular basis and might have some tips on how to get the best run out of my SS. Do you suggest dropping the rear tire pressure? Do you use launch control? If not do you just launch from idle? Turn off traction control or leave it on? Track mode, or touring mode for better weight transfer? Any constructive tips are appreciated. I can certainly figure out all those variables for myself, but I'd like the benefit of others experience to save myself a hundred experimental runs and a set of tires! 😉
Typically, the german cars are getting WHP at or very near the advertised crank HP, in fact, they don't make any SAE claims usually or otherwise, because when you put one on a dyno, it usually makes close to the advertised, which means at the crank it's making more. A 365hp M2 is probably closer to 400, a 444 M3 is probably close to 500, then give it AWD and it's going to walk away every time. If all you care about is straight-line, you either go huge supercharged V8 with massive HP and big sticky tires in traditional drag-form, or you go turbo/SC AWD. With the AWD car, you typically don't have to beat the other guy at 150mph, just got to beat them to the 1/4 mile or 60, so a camaro, which is now a much better balanced and handling car, isn't the best weapon for this. Get a hellcat/demon or one of those massive HP german AMG things.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote