Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Hit a big bump in the road!

Driving back from a friend's house late last night I went over a bump in the road that was the result of some ongoing road work.
I should have remembered it was there, but I was tired and it was poorly marked. The only reason I saw it while going to his place was the fact that it was during daylight hours.

Anyway, the bump (a change in the level of the pavement, really) is a good few inches, maybe 3", and I hit it going about 70km/hr. It made an awful noise that scared the s**t outta me...like I'd hit something.
No body damage at all, the tires and suspension took all of it. She still drives straight and there's no sounds/funny noises or vibrations, but I'm still worried I might have damaged something.

How tough are the rims and suspension on our Camaros? Should I take it to my dealership to have them give it a "once over" or is that overkill?

Sometimes it sucks having a car you love. Had this happened in my old Alero or Sunfire, I'd be laughing about it.

Cheers.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
The damage is usually felt via vibrations, pulling, or can be seen.

Do a visual check of the tires for any bulges or obvious damage. Check the pressure, as sometimes a hard enough hit can unseat the bead from the rim.

Check for any obvious cracks or damage to the wheels.

Check for any damage to the undercarriage- missing air deflectors or obvious scrapes, verify that all the oil pans (engine, trans) and any exposed brake or fuel lines are still in good shape and aren't leaking.

Check the shocks- look for leaking oil, do the push down test on all 4 corners. Should rebound once, and not jiggle up and down.

If you want to get crazy, put the car up on jackstands and wiggle the wheels to make sure the bearings are still good. Hell, pull off the wheels and take a good look at everything while they're off. But...unless there's conditions that make you suspect of damage, this probably isn't necessary.

For suspension and steering-- you'll notice if the car is pulling or is steering funny. But mostly a bent or out of balance wheel can be felt as a vibration in the car or shake in the steering wheel.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
it's fine...
Old 08-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Thanks Evergreen6!

I'll give it a thorough look tonight after work. Felt like it drove fine, but I'll pay extra attention on the drive home.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
It may not have seemed like there was any damage, but I'd check all the way under your front bumper. There's probably some scraping that happened there which should be pretty apparent. If there isn't than it's likely something else which should be checked out.
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
Shiftgreen

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksVSix View Post

Sometimes it sucks having a car you love. Had this happened in my old Alero or Sunfire, I'd be laughing about it.

Cheers.
I know what you mean , I hit a pot hole last night, and it deff made me say an explicative as loud as I could yell. It wasn't fast enough to do damage, but it was probably the worst one Ive hit. I usually avoid them pretty well but this was hidden.

Its worst with cars you love, almost makes it a hassle to drive b/c of the constant worry of either rocks hitting it, or another car. Just can;t worry to much about it since it's just a car, or so my wife says. ha

Yeah if it were my honda civic I wouldn't think twice, thank God for beaters.
Shiftgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
JohnyBoy

Drives: GM car
I would take it in for an inspection, doubt their is something damaged, but in case their is its better to find out now before it causes other potential problems.
JohnyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #8
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
The first year I got my car, every little sous my car made, freaked me out. These cars are tough animals, don't be scared to bang them up reasonably.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:47 PM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Yeah, rolled over a curb once in a parking lot. These cars are tougher than you might think. Not to mention, low profile tires and stiffer suspension makes everything feel worse than it is.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:07 AM   #10
firedruish

On another note...I hate to say it but check your steering set up. Did something similar and my intermediary steering shaft became unseated from the rack and I had to have an entirely new rack put in. The only sign was a small leak that would have gotten horrendous!

The bump I hit was missing pavement over dirt at about 15 kph turning into where we live.