Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
PC 7424 with Adam's pads and polishes...what can I expect?

Hey guys,

My wife told me that she's gonna buy me a PC 7424 and the Adam's accessories for it (the 7" pads, backing plate, plus the corresponding polishes)

For a new Camaro, (1-1/2 months now) mine has an alarming amount of scratches in the clear coat. All very minor, but more than what you'd expect from a band new car. I'm always careful when washing so I think most of them were there before I got them.

Anyway, what kind of paint correction can I expect to achieve with the above set up? None of the scratches are deep enough to even register with a fingernail.

Cheers!

Nick
Old 06-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksVSix View Post
Hey guys,

My wife told me that she's gonna buy me a PC 7424 and the Adam's accessories for it (the 7" pads, backing plate, plus the corresponding polishes)

For a new Camaro, (1-1/2 months now) mine has an alarming amount of scratches in the clear coat. All very minor, but more than what you'd expect from a band new car. I'm always careful when washing so I think most of them were there before I got them.

Anyway, what kind of paint correction can I expect to achieve with the above set up? None of the scratches are deep enough to even register with a fingernail.

Cheers!

Nick

7" pads are useless on a PC. The increase in circumference of the pad will result in almost no correction being done on the outer egded of the pad, therefore defeating the purpose of the bigger pad in the first place. I would reccomend 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. I have bought a 7" pad sole for sealant application.

I haven't used Adams new polishes, but their old ones weren't even close to what FG400 is. Get your wife to save her money and get Menzerna fg400 and that is more than likely all you will need. With 5.5" microfiber cutting and polishing pads, you should get 70% correction on your first try at polishing.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
NicksVSix

Thanks 13lstunner.

Do you know of a "1 stop" website that would have the backing plate, pads and the fg400?

Cheers,

Nick
Old 06-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Detailed image

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
Good_Times

Drives: red
Run don't walk to your nearest local body repair shop. See if they have a dark hood or other panel that's not repairable. when you get your da and whatever package you select you can practice until you have it dialed in. As for pad size the 7" are fairly old school. Most choose from the 5"-5.5" range. The service people at Detail Image as recommended by CD07 are very helpful . Not sure about them serving the Canada. If not then try Eshine .
Good_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Times View Post
Run don't walk to your nearest local body repair shop. See if they have a dark hood or other panel that's not repairable. when you get your da and whatever package you select you can practice until you have it dialed in.

Another option is your local rental car place - rent a black vehicle (guaranteed to be swirled to death) for the $30 p/day +$9 insurance, take it home and practice all you want.

I have yet to encounter a rental car place that dislikes the car coming back detailed... honestly they usually look at me kind of like I'm nuts.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
I cannot believe I never thought about that idea, renting a vehicle with the insurance to practice polishing on. Thanks!
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
DylanVK

Drives: a few
No problem! I've done enough detail clinics and events on the road now that I almost always request something black so I have a demo vehicle if I need one.

You should see the looks I get when I return it and half of the hood is flawless.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Use your wifes car for practice!!!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
NicksVSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Use your wifes car for practice!!!
I plan on it!

She has a black KIA Optima with TONNES of swirl marks and even a few scratches in the clear coat on her hood from some gravel that got frozen into her snow brush.
It bothered her at first but their she just shrugged her shoulders and dealt with it while I was all "HOW THE HELL IS THAT NOT EATING AWAY AT YOU INSIDE?!?!"

Guess who spends A LOT more time worrying about their car? lol
Old 06-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #11
StoopDude

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@SCG View Post
No problem! I've done enough detail clinics and events on the road now that I almost always request something black so I have a demo vehicle if I need one.

You should see the looks I get when I return it and half of the hood is flawless.
HAHA!!! that's awesome!!!! great idea!!!

Twitter: Stoopdude12
Xbox Live: StoopDude
PSN: StoopDude
StoopDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #12
Slayer1677

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I'm making a purchase too and plan on practicing on my '99 GMC Jimmy...Don't really care if I mess up on that!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #13
camro

Drives: All original
I don't recommend 7" pads best is 5.5 or 6" bigger than that PC is useless.
camro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #14
NicksVSix

How is the PC "useless" with 7" pads?
I can understand maybe the outer 1" of the pad not doing much, but the innner 5-6" still has to be doing some correction.

Why would Adam's support them if that were the case?