Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-20-2017, 08:36 AM   #29
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBlueCamaro View Post
For you guys saying that the V6 is slow, numb, etc..... Remember this:
I'll give you the part about 'slow'. I was already driving when zero to 60 in less than 5 flat on streetable tires was the stuff of dreams no matter how much engine was under the hood.

But power doesn't fix handling numbness, and more of that numbness is likely to be intentionally designed into lower-performance car models and lower trim levels of cars like Camaros and Mustangs. Maybe especially those two cars.

Norm
Old 05-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #30
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Quote:
The timer is fooled by wheelspin. It may not have actually achieved that number.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #31
whitelightning011

Drives: '16 1SS A8 w/ NPP
For what it's worth, the 2.0T I had felt like it had to "work hard" just to cruise around town 0-60 (not flooring it, just light accelerations). Also, the throttle response took a while to kick in, and the turbo lag was evident.

I wanted something that "felt powerful". For me, the SS does that. I step on the gas and there's virtually no lag, it just goes. When I cruise around town at low RPM, it gets up to speed fast. And of course, the sound of the lovely V8 makes it all worth it.

Did I learn a lesson losing $8k in depreciation on my one-month old 2.0T? Yes, but I think that loss was made up for by owning an SS and having no regrets. For me, life is too short not to take the money loss (if I have the means, of course), if it means to be truly satisfied with my vehicle.
whitelightning011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #32
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdasnt3 View Post
The timer is fooled by wheelspin. It may not have actually achieved that number.
I don't know man I'm thinking it did reach that number the V6 is a fast car
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #33
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdasnt3 View Post
The V6 Auto wont spin the wheels, at least not that much. May chirp them. The V6 is quick, but the draw backs are lack of torque and sound. If they could manage to get 320+ tq and get good sound I would have looked at one. Imagine them 335hp, 320lbs tq. Sound, less weight, looks, attitude. The perfect all around package.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #34
BIGG_FRANCO

Drives: 2017 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelightning011 View Post
For what it's worth, the 2.0T I had felt like it had to "work hard" just to cruise around town 0-60 (not flooring it, just light accelerations). Also, the throttle response took a while to kick in, and the turbo lag was evident.

I wanted something that "felt powerful". For me, the SS does that. I step on the gas and there's virtually no lag, it just goes. When I cruise around town at low RPM, it gets up to speed fast. And of course, the sound of the lovely V8 makes it all worth it.

Did I learn a lesson losing $8k in depreciation on my one-month old 2.0T? Yes, but I think that loss was made up for by owning an SS and having no regrets. For me, life is too short not to take the money loss (if I have the means, of course), if it means to be truly satisfied with my vehicle.

Did you trade yours in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BIGG_FRANCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #35
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I'll give you the part about 'slow'. I was already driving when zero to 60 in less than 5 flat on streetable tires was the stuff of dreams no matter how much engine was under the hood.

But power doesn't fix handling numbness, and more of that numbness is likely to be intentionally designed into lower-performance car models and lower trim levels of cars like Camaros and Mustangs. Maybe especially those two cars.

Norm
To the person asking me to clarify -- Norm has pretty much nailed it. In the LT trims you do not feel connected to the road at all. Tall tire sidewalls, lower pressure gas shocks and the higher smoothing efforts put into the programming for the power steering on the LT models are the large targets to blame. I do not like a lack of feedback.

The LT engines can definitely have more power and better performance metrics than the 5th gen LT's they replaced, but due to the above numbness you cannot tell.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #36
whitelightning011

Drives: '16 1SS A8 w/ NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGG_FRANCO View Post
Did you trade yours in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I did.
whitelightning011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #37
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
To the person asking me to clarify -- Norm has pretty much nailed it. In the LT trims you do not feel connected to the road at all. Tall tire sidewalls, lower pressure gas shocks and the higher smoothing efforts put into the programming for the power steering on the LT models are the large targets to blame. I do not like a lack of feedback.

The LT engines can definitely have more power and better performance metrics than the 5th gen LT's they replaced, but due to the above numbness you cannot tell.
Well seems to me you need to try a V6 RS model with the 20 inch tires
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #38
Camaro Maybe

Drives: BMW 7 Series, Camaro Maybe
I did a back to back test drive yesterday of an 2SS with magnetic ride control and a BMW M240I. I have a deposit on an M2 but they didn't have one to test. The net result was that my concerns about the Camaro 2SS and the 2 series BMW were alleviated for the most part.

I'm 6'6" and 230 so getting in and out and sufficient space for comfort were huge issues for me. I also had my wife with me to get her input. When I started the Camaro, it started with a loud roar and my wife immediately went negative worried about the neighbors. So we put it in tour mode and started it again and she felt better but was still grumbling about the noise. I thought the Camaro had the advantage in acceleration (felt like a rocket), braking, cornering, and sound (don't tell my wife. The suspension felt stiffer than the Beemer in track mode and more plush in touring mode than the Beemer.

The M240I has a half second lag (turbo) and the when boost comes on the torque is addictive and it also sounds very very good. The Beemer was more airy feeling and had some practicality advantages in the back seat and trunk. I did think the Beemer did not corner as flat and wasn't as capable around curves.

Wife didn't like the passenger side console with nothing for her to rest her elbows on in the Camaro and insufficient coffee cup space. She prefers I stick with the M2 despite the additional $12-14K out the door cost.

Looks wise, I preferred the Camaro and wife preferred the Beemer.

I thought the drive would force my decisions....it didn't, the Camaro is the better performer but not as practical and wife voted against it. The Beemer is an awesome ride and has its advantages.

Conclusion, still not decided, I need some more testing.
Camaro Maybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:47 PM   #39
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:

Play it again Sam!
LuvMI is offline   Reply With Quote