Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-29-2016, 02:16 AM   #15
GetSmart

Drives: 2013 Black SS
long tube headers and some cut outs
Rotofab CAI, VMAX PTB, Borla S axle-back, Dynatech SuperMaxx 1 7/8" headers/HF cats, No weeds exhaust diverters, Apex air scoop & catch can, Rohana wheels, MPD1 Z-Force Hood, BTR Stage 3 cam, Vitesse Throttle Controller, etc...
GetSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:17 AM   #16
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbow View Post
I've been reading up a bit on this stuff but there doesn't seem to be too many beginners guides to all this unfortunately.

It took me 3.5 hours to install an air intake that most people said they got installed in 30 minutes so....this might not be the best option for me
Most people install their headers in 2-4 hours. However, I took a couple of evenings because it was my first time doing it, and I had to call a friend to help me get the passenger side headers in because the space was a little tight to install on your own. It doesn't matter how long it takes to do a mod when you're installing it, so long as it is done right.

If you're just looking for sound and no power (which I re-read your original post and saw this to be true), then go with Solo's Mach XL catback exhaust and you will not regret it! The sound is great and zero drone! I actually converted a neighbor back to a V8 when he heard me step on it on the highway. He traded is Lancer EVO for a C6 Corvette a couple of weeks later
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #17
MattSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 CGM
I'd advise going with the Solo Cat back as well. I'm similar in that it took me several hours to get the CAI installed, but I still wouldn't say it was difficult. I'm just new to modifying or working on cars. the cat back doesn't require any cutting.

The SOLO set gives you a deeper tone without getting a whole lot louder than stock. My ex-wife always said she thought it was actually quieter, but I'm blaming hearing loss for that comment.

SOLO's set is also the only one I know of with J-pipes, which mitigate drone in the 1800-2000 RPM range on the automatic. If you cut open the giant trashcans GM stuck on the stock exhaust you'll find something similar inside.

Get them, install (undo 8 bolts, remove, install, tweak, tighten) and run them till you want more (you will!), then get headers/hi flow cats and a tune to REALLY bring the noise.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #18
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Obviously this guy is not going to install headers himself no offense. But the best thing for you to do is go to the shop and ask for a muffler delete. It should only cost around $100. They cut off the mufflers and replace it with a pipe welded in. And if you have an auto it's not gonna be that loud at all.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #19
BALLEE

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
I would prefer cutting the resonators and welding the pipes. Leave you stock mufflers. If you have extra cash get the HF Cats with resonators deletes straight to stock mufflers. Youll end up spending way less. The resonator delete should not be more then 100$. If you don't like the sound or want more then get the HF Cats installed. I personally have Solo MachXL. I'll be getting the HF Cats installed next time in Toronto.
BALLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #20
Jim J

Drives: 2010 ss inferno orange camaro
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Cat-Back...BSDril&vxp=mtr Budget cat back,try it out and let us know!
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:54 AM   #21
kingbow

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Most people install their headers in 2-4 hours. However, I took a couple of evenings because it was my first time doing it, and I had to call a friend to help me get the passenger side headers in because the space was a little tight to install on your own. It doesn't matter how long it takes to do a mod when you're installing it, so long as it is done right.

If you're just looking for sound and no power (which I re-read your original post and saw this to be true), then go with Solo's Mach XL catback exhaust and you will not regret it! The sound is great and zero drone! I actually converted a neighbor back to a V8 when he heard me step on it on the highway. He traded is Lancer EVO for a C6 Corvette a couple of weeks later
Still a bit too expensive. I'm just looking for an affordable option and so far, it seems like what is good is just a simple delete of the Muffler+Resonator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSS View Post
I'd advise going with the Solo Cat back as well. I'm similar in that it took me several hours to get the CAI installed, but I still wouldn't say it was difficult. I'm just new to modifying or working on cars. the cat back doesn't require any cutting.

The SOLO set gives you a deeper tone without getting a whole lot louder than stock. My ex-wife always said she thought it was actually quieter, but I'm blaming hearing loss for that comment.

SOLO's set is also the only one I know of with J-pipes, which mitigate drone in the 1800-2000 RPM range on the automatic. If you cut open the giant trashcans GM stuck on the stock exhaust you'll find something similar inside.

Get them, install (undo 8 bolts, remove, install, tweak, tighten) and run them till you want more (you will!), then get headers/hi flow cats and a tune to REALLY bring the noise.
You are right, it wasn't difficult but 'challenging'. I hadn't worked around my engine yet so I was very green in how to unplug X Y and I also had to do a slight modification to the mount on the MAF as one of the screws they provided was just slightly threaded bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Obviously this guy is not going to install headers himself no offense. But the best thing for you to do is go to the shop and ask for a muffler delete. It should only cost around $100. They cut off the mufflers and replace it with a pipe welded in. And if you have an auto it's not gonna be that loud at all.
Amen brother. I am open to DIY ideas like installing my own cold air intake or replacing the DRL harness but my research has shown me that there isn't a way in hell I would be doing that myself.

I have lots of local shops around me, not sure how credible they would be with it though

Great to hear! I didn't want it to be loud loud as you would often hear with the modified College ricers. I just needed a bit more oomph and sound but not enough to be annoying or sound like a bat out of hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALLEE View Post
I would prefer cutting the resonators and welding the pipes. Leave you stock mufflers. If you have extra cash get the HF Cats with resonators deletes straight to stock mufflers. Youll end up spending way less. The resonator delete should not be more then 100$. If you don't like the sound or want more then get the HF Cats installed. I personally have Solo MachXL. I'll be getting the HF Cats installed next time in Toronto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim J View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Cat-Back...BSDril&vxp=mtr Budget cat back,try it out and let us know!
I initially thought the muffler was the big suitcase but I guess it is the resonator then. So then isn't the last piece of the 'muffler' essentially just the straight pipe leading from the suitcase to my tips?

If so I think that is what I like. Cutting out the suitcase in the middle from two sections and leaving the last pipe and tips so that an extra pipe can be put in.
kingbow is offline   Reply With Quote