Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 12-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #15
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
I did a very wet and rainy autocross at NHMS with the SCCNH put myself in F street to see how it stacked against my friends SS. Was my first time and barely got below 58 secs on my best run i feel the cars size and the stock A/S runflats withthe rain hampered me greatly but i was happy to break the minute mark on a 20 pace course.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #16
LehmanZ06

Drives: Z28 want
You don't need the RS package to run 20" wheels right ?

I believe you can run 19" or 20"......

Because the 20" wheel is a stand alone option.

Are the RS headlights better ?
LehmanZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:29 AM   #17
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LehmanZ06 View Post

I'm far from an expert, but it's my understanding that if your car came with the base 18' wheels then you could run either a 17' or 19' rim in the same width... If your car was an RS package with the 20' wheels, you could run a 19' or 21' in the same width... You can run as wide a tire that will fit the rims.

Yes the RS headlights are the same as the SS, so HID vs the base level projector style
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:23 AM   #18
race2win

Drives: 1LT 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by LehmanZ06 View Post

Good point, you are correct, there is a stand-alone $800 option on any LT Camaro for 20x8.5" low gloss black wheels. So legally a base car could run any 8.5" wide wheel from 17-21" in diameter...just not sure you would "want" to run 20-21" wheels

I can't speak on if the RS headlights are better from the inside...but they sure look great on the outside!
SCCA D-Street #49/149
stranoparts.com
Bridgestone Tires
race2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:06 PM   #19
Corner carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by race2win View Post
Good point, you are correct, there is a stand-alone $800 option on any LT Camaro for 20x8.5" low gloss black wheels. So legally a base car could run any 8.5" wide wheel from 17-21" in diameter...just not sure you would "want" to run 20-21" wheels

I can't speak on if the RS headlights are better from the inside...but they sure look great on the outside!
This thread is awesome... I'm learning more every post you guys throw up
Old 12-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #20
Corner carver

Would the HD brake and cooling package effect what class you'd run in? Don't think it would make much of a difference on an autox course? ... Might even be a disadvantage with the extra weight on the nose...
Old 12-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #21
race2win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
Would the HD brake and cooling package effect what class you'd run in? Don't think it would make much of a difference on an autox course? ... Might even be a disadvantage with the extra weight on the nose...
The HD Brake & Cooling package for the 2.0T is legal in D-Street since its a factory option installed on the assembly line. I was originally very interested in this option when I started researching the 2.0T, but then I discovered the rotor size is unchanged from the standard car, it just has larger calipers. It also requires 20" wheels, meaning a 2.0T with this option cannot legally run 18" wheels in DS.

That being said, I decided against the option due to the added unsprung weight of the calipers, the additional weight of the coolers & fluid, and not being able to use 18" wheels. If track days are important to you, I think the option is definitely worthwhile, but for autocross it's not necessary IMO.

The separate 4-piston Brembo brake upgrade and the GM Performance suspension lowering kits are NOT allowed in Street because they are installed at the dealership. Look for a clarification from the SAC/SEB soon regarding these dealer-installed options
SCCA D-Street #49/149
stranoparts.com
Bridgestone Tires
Old 12-22-2016, 05:29 AM   #22
Corner carver

Quote:
The HD Brake & Cooling package for the 2.0T is legal in D-Street since its a factory option installed on the assembly line. I was originally very interested in this option when I started researching the 2.0T, but then I discovered the rotor size is unchanged from the standard car, it just has larger calipers. It also requires 20" wheels, meaning a 2.0T with this option cannot legally run 18" wheels in DS.

That being said, I decided against the option due to the added unsprung weight of the calipers, the additional weight of the coolers & fluid, and not being able to use 18" wheels. If track days are important to you, I think the option is definitely worthwhile, but for autocross it's not necessary IMO.

The separate 4-piston Brembo brake upgrade and the GM Performance suspension lowering kits are NOT allowed in Street because they are installed at the dealership. Look for a clarification from the SAC/SEB soon regarding these dealer-installed options
Bought mine with the HD package, with track days in mind... Thanks again for the info race2win!
Old 12-24-2016, 07:33 AM   #23
Midnightmoon

Drives: 1987 Corvette
Quote:

Wasn't is just a week or so ago that you answered this question via PM for me? As mentioned above, this is becoming an excellent thread full of great information. Thanks again for your contributions and the help for those of us new to this.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:45 AM   #24
Midnightmoon

Seriously considering purchasing 2017 2.0t right after Christmas. My intentions are for it to be a 2nd vehicle for the family and an Autocross car for some local events a few times a year in place of my aging C4 Corvette. I'm very excited about this platform and its potential.

Anyway, my local dealer has 2 2017 base LT's in stock that I am interested in. One is a 6-speed and the other an A8. Has anyone considered an A8 instead of the manual for limited autocross use? It would be a little easier to justify as a family car in automatic.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:16 AM   #25
destoups

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE
We have a local with an SS A8 who regularly keeps pace with the reigning national champ. The 1-2 shifts sound like a gunshot. It is awesome.

I don't think the A8 in the turbo has the same Sport and Competition modes you get in the SS; also don't think you can get LSD with the 2.0T A8.

I could live with an automatic but no LSD, if that's the case, would stop me.

(Oddly enough, you *can* get an automatic and LSD on the ATS 2.0T.)
destoups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #26
race2win

Unfortunately, like Des mentions the A8 versions of the LT Camaro do not have a limited-slip differential, unlike the mechanical twin Cadillac ATS (and Mustang Ecoboost). For that reason alone I would choose the M6, coming off corners spinning one wheel would not be "fun" IMO
SCCA D-Street #49/149
stranoparts.com
Bridgestone Tires
Old 12-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #27
Midnightmoon

Do you happen to know the option code for the limited slip with the M6? Or does it come standard with the manual trans? I was just over at my local dealer and there is no mention of a limited slip diff on the window sticker of the manual trans car on the lot. Unfortunately talking to the salespeople there was less than helpful.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:06 PM   #28
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Do you happen to know the option code for the limited slip with the M6? Or does it come standard with the manual trans? I was just over at my local dealer and there is no mention of a limited slip diff on the window sticker of the manual trans car on the lot. Unfortunately talking to the salespeople there was less than helpful.
That's the only way it comes.