Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-25-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
mako22

Drives: 2017 HB 2SS
Question Examples of when camo car turned out to be fake?

I keep seeing this recurring theory that the camo cars we've seen shots/videos of may not be the actual car.

Can anyone point to any example of when this has happened in the past??? Where the actual car had different shape, size or lines?

Note: I'm talking about the swirly camo only, not padded cars, and not differences in vents/lights/grills/badges.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
High Magnitude

Drives: 2014 2LT Camaro
The new Hyundai Genesis coupe had body panels put on it from the old version as camo. Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...oupe-spy-shots
Old 01-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako22 View Post
I keep seeing this recurring theory that the camo cars we've seen shots/videos of may not be the actual car.

Can anyone point to any example of when this has happened in the past??? Where the actual car had different shape, size or lines?

Note: I'm talking about the swirly camo only, not padded cars, and not differences in vents/lights/grills/badges.
This has also been my exact thinking. The current spy cars, look way too much (shape wise) like Gen5. I think they have put the old panels on the new frame to test the new platform and engine without giving away the new look.
Otherwise, the Gen6 is like the new Mustang that looks just like the previous gen, which to me is disappointing.

However, that last picture from the Autoshow confirmed that the spy pictures are actually gen6.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #4
lgKido

Drives: 2002 Dodge Ram :(
Quote:

Mules may also be based on another manufacturer's model if no comparable model is available in-house or if an external benchmark is being used. For example, in the 1970s the first-generation Ford Fiesta was developed using mules based on the Fiat 127 (a car considered the class leader of the period), as Ford had no comparable compact model of similar size at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_mule
lgKido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #5
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
GM wouldn't waste time running fake cars around the Ring.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
The C6 Prototypes had fake front and rear ends on them to make the car look longer. One of the big jumps for the C6 was shortening the front and rear overhangs significantly.

So yes, it's been done on Prototypes.

All Mules are pretty much either the previous gen car or a donor car. The new large Cadillac for example had spy shots recently using Holden Caprice/Chevy PPV bodies. That is very common because at that point the styling is no where near complete.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
mako22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
The C6 Prototypes had fake front and rear ends on them to make the car look longer. One of the big jumps for the C6 was shortening the front and rear overhangs significantly.
any links to the before/after?
Old 01-25-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
mako22

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Magnitude View Post
The new Hyundai Genesis coupe had body panels put on it from the old version as camo. Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...oupe-spy-shots
thanks - although I think those are ridiculously obvious fakes.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:27 PM   #9
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
any links to the before/after?
No, I worked on the car so that's how I know. Per Dave Hill, Chief Engineer, they had special panels made for the front and rear.

As I've said before, at some point you need the aerodynamics and airflow to be correct for testing. So anything they are doing, if anything at all, with the jazz camo would be simply disguising feature lines etc.. It's very doubtful this is any kind of fake car. Those are the cars. But until the reveal we won't know how much trickery they've tried.

I'll also say that when I worked for a Japanese OEM, we only did wind noise testing at night in the dark. Hard to do wind noise evaluations with Camo on the vehicle. So it was done only at night when the camo could be removed.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
mako22

Maybe I'm not being clear. I'm looking for a comparable situation to what we have right now with the 6th gen. Show me a pic of a camo car and then a pic of the final car that was released and point out where the fake panels were. Again, not padding on the car like the vette.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #11
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Let me be clear, because you can't find a history of it being done before.............doesn't mean it can't be done. I know how I would do it and it would be EASY.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:23 PM   #12
mako22

Quote:
Let me be clear, because you can't find a history of it being done before.............doesn't mean it can't be done. I know how I would do it and it would be EASY.
The question is not is it possible. The question is, based on past history, what is the likelihood it's going to happen here. And clearly, there is no precedent to cite, so the likelihood the 6th gen is going to be the first to have fake panels hiding the "real car" is extremely small.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:04 AM   #13
91Zman

Drives: '13 1SS/RS IOM white stripes
1982 Chevrolet Camaro

http://autosofinterest.com/2013/09/1...ws-from-italy/ check page 2 for the 4thgen mule.

91Zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #14
lgKido

Drives: 2002 Dodge Ram :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Magnitude View Post
The new Hyundai Genesis coupe had body panels put on it from the old version as camo.

Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...oupe-spy-shots
Quote:
The C6 Prototypes had fake front and rear ends on them to make the car look longer. I worked on the car so that's how I know. Per Dave Hill, Chief Engineer, they had special panels made for the front and rear.One of the big jumps for the C6 was shortening the front and rear overhangs significantly. So yes, it's been done on Prototypes.

All Mules are pretty much either the previous gen car or a donor car. The new large Cadillac for example had spy shots recently using Holden Caprice/Chevy PPV bodies. That is very common because at that point the styling is no where near complete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgKido View Post
Mules may also be based on another manufacturer's model if no comparable model is available in-house or if an external benchmark is being used. For example, in the 1970s the first-generation Ford Fiesta was developed using mules based on the Fiat 127 (a car considered the class leader of the period), as Ford had no comparable compact model of similar size at the time.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_mule
No disrespect intended OP, but it looks like you already have your answer.......
lgKido is offline   Reply With Quote