Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #15
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
I've heard it called the Italian tune-up.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:18 AM   #16
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Anvil Garage View Post
I wouldn't run Sea Foam through my engine.... evidence of its effects are sketchy at best. Not worth the risk to sensors, etc. for me. Just change your oil regularly and use 93 octane.
Isn’t that why GM recommends the top tier gas?
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:24 AM   #17
motorhead

Seafoam is pretty mucha joke. It makes your car smoke so you are made to believe that something is happening. I have a family member that works at a dealership as a mechanic. He said it never fails wit GDI motors. They have him do some type of chemical cleaning that never works only to have the customer come back to have the top of the motor torn down for a manual cleaning. GDI motors suck. I dont care what anyone says.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #18
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Seafoam is pretty mucha joke. It makes your car smoke so you are made to believe that something is happening. I have a family member that works at a dealership as a mechanic. He said it never fails wit GDI motors. They have him do some type of chemical cleaning that never works only to have the customer come back to have the top of the motor torn down for a manual cleaning. GDI motors suck. I dont care what anyone says.
I have to disagree... I've seafoamed several non D.I. fuel injected cars and Seafoamed both motors that were babied and oil changed frequently and seafoamed cars that were driven to the edge... the cars that were driven to the edge left plumes of smoke so thick it literally fogged up the entire street to 0 Visibility, where as the cars that were babied and overly maintained were lucky to see a few fumes come out... and in both cases I definately felt a improvement in responsiveness...its almost like doing a tuneup. it's doing more than just producing smoke.

Now how dangerous it is to sensors? It's more so the crap that it pulls out the motor thats dangerous to them, so if your motor has alot of carbon build up on it, you risk fowling out some sensors..I've yet to do this fortunately..but it is possible.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #19
ShaBoom

Drives: 2017 2SS
Is there any evidence of a carbon build up issue on the intake valves of the LT1?
All I can find is people talking about the possibility of this referencing other makes of cars.
If it isn't broken- don't fix it. Just enjoy the car, there's nothing wrong with it.
Put some stripes on the fenders or something. You'll feel better.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #20
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
You can use Seafoam but, GM has a top end cleaner that is top notch. What is it..... Techron.

The trick to making sure it works is employing properly.

You don't want to use the brake hose, too big. Source a 5/16 sized nipple. You can use PCV nipple and size it down or restrict it. It's going to take 2 people, 1 at the can, 1 to operate the throttle. Introduce a small about to coat the intake tract. Then as you get down to about half the can start flooding it until it stalls. If done right it should have sucked down about half. Let it set and soak for about 30 mins. and then fire it up and blow it out. If there's any in the can just put it in the gas tank.
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
You can use Seafoam but, GM has a top end cleaner that is top notch. What is it..... Techron.

The trick to making sure it works is employing properly.

You don't want to use the brake hose, too big. Source a 5/16 sized nipple. You can use PCV nipple and size it down or restrict it. It's going to take 2 people, 1 at the can, 1 to operate the throttle. Introduce a small about to coat the intake tract. Then as you get down to about half the can start flooding it until it stalls. If done right it should have sucked down about half. Let it set and soak for about 30 mins. and then fire it up and blow it out. If there's any in the can just put it in the gas tank.
Are you sure it's called Techron? Like the stuff you can buy in the auto parts store by Chevron?
Old 12-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #22
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Are you sure it's called Techron? Like the stuff you can buy in the auto parts store by Chevron?
Was told by my parts guy that the GM Top End Cleaner was rebranded Trechron when he didn't have any. Hes been my go to guy for 30 some years. BG 44K also works good.
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #23
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerch98 View Post
Is carbon build up on the valves a product of not using a catch can and inhaling all those thick hydrocarbons into the the engine?
A catch can will help the intake and valve build up
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #24
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
Was told by my parts guy that the GM Top End Cleaner was rebranded Trechron when he didn't have any. Hes been my go to guy for 30 some years. BG 44K also works good.
Chevron Techron is for in the fuel tank. You're supposed to use it if top tier fuel isnt available. It isnt used to perform top half intake decarbonizing.
X66p is the top half cleaner that GM uses and its very different than Techron. you dont put x66p in your tank and you dont put Techron in your intake. Two different chemicals for two different functions.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #25
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzySS View Post
A catch can will help the intake and valve build up
Many studies are proofing that catch cans arent doing much to solve this issue, and there are only a few brands out of the many that do anything at all. People keep saying about fuel not hitting the back of the valves in GDI motors. That's correct, but the coking and carbon build up comes from more than the PCV system. Valve overlap allowing some combustion gases to hit the back of the valves for one and valve seal leaks to name just two. A catch can will do nothing for either.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:41 PM   #26
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaBoom View Post
Is there any evidence of a carbon build up issue on the intake valves of the LT1?
All I can find is people talking about the possibility of this referencing other makes of cars.
If it isn't broken- don't fix it. Just enjoy the car, there's nothing wrong with it.
Put some stripes on the fenders or something. You'll feel better.
Yes there is plenty of evidence. There are other sections in this forum that have more technical discussions on this subject.

GDI engines are notorious for oil coking on the back side of the valves due to blow by from the PCV system. The intake manifold, intake ports on the heads, along with valves get coated with oil. Since direct injection sprays fuel directly into the combustion chamber, fuel does not make contact with the intake ports or valves. I use a chemical spray from CRC through the throttle body with the engine running. You have to disconnect the maf so the ECM reverts to speed density and will run without the intake hose connected. A CEL will popup but can be easily cleared.

Seems to have made a difference on my 2012 GMC Terrain GDI 2.4. 80k miles and going strong. First time I cleaned it around 50k miles it smoked like crazy out the exhaust. The last couple times not so much.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #27
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Anvil Garage View Post
I wouldn't run Sea Foam through my engine.... evidence of its effects are sketchy at best. Not worth the risk to sensors, etc. for me. Just change your oil regularly and use 93 octane.
Completely irrelevant when talking about DI engines and how they operate. Obviously changing oil regularly and using 93 octane should be done anyway but it won't magically make the carbon build up stop.
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #28
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostySS View Post
Completely irrelevant when talking about DI engines and how they operate. Obviously changing oil regularly and using 93 octane should be done anyway but it won't magically make the carbon build up stop.
True - it won't...yet, I don't think it's fair to say its irrelevant, either. There are processes that can be done (albeit invasive) 80 - 100,000 miles down the road to return the valves & seats to new. So for many people, just leaving it alone is what you do.